[net.politics] Israel supplies Arab terrorists?

cramer@sun.uucp (Sam Cramer) (01/21/86)

Recently, both Chedley and Farzin have been playing variations on
the following theme:

> Who knows, maybe those terrorists were trained with those Israeli
> arms.	[Chedley Aouriri]

> Well, leaders of Israel don't seem to be among those "outraged
> people or they wouldn't supply arms to Khomeini's regime who
> trains Arabs terrorists.	[Farzin Mokhtarian]

The allegation here is nothing short of incredible - that Israel
supplies arms to Iran so they in turn can train anti-Israel terrorists.

These allegations are false, and no amount of repetition by Chedley and
Farzin will make them true.  They supply no documentation of these absurd
charges for the simple reason that no such documentation exists.

The worst credible allegation that I have heard made in this regard
is that Israel supplied spare tires for aging Iranian Phantom fighters.
Funny, I don't recall terrorists attacking people with spare tires.

Sam Cramer	sun!cramer

mokhtar@ubc-vision.UUCP (Farzin Mokhtarian) (01/24/86)

cramer@sun.uucp (Sam Cramer) writes:

Subject: Israel supplies Arab terrorists?

> The allegation here is nothing short of incredible - that Israel
> supplies arms to Iran so they in turn can train anti-Israel terrorists.
> These allegations are false, and no amount of repetition by Chedley and
> Farzin will make them true.  They supply no documentation of these absurd
> charges for the simple reason that no such documentation exists.

Correction: I never said what the intention of Israel was. I don't know
that. I said that they have been supplying arms to Iran when they know
Iran has been training Arab terrorists.

You are right. It is an "incredible" thing to hear. The reason I did not
supply any documentation is that even though more than a week has passed
from the time I posted the original article, so far no one had *asked* for
documentation. Not only they didn't ask but several people (such as
Y. Levendel, Bill Tanenbaum, M. Rindsberg and H. Weisberg) tried to explain
it as if they were already aware of it. This seems very strange to me.
If it were not true, as an "Israeli supporter" my immediate reaction would
have been:

Where is the reference?

My reference is the January 2, 1986 issue of the Kayhaan newspaper,
published in London, England.

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/26/86)

> Subject: Israel supplies Arab terrorists?
>
> > The allegation here is nothing short of incredible - that Israel
> > supplies arms to Iran so they in turn can train anti-Israel terrorists.
> > These allegations are false, and no amount of repetition by Chedley and
> > Farzin will make them true.  They supply no documentation of these absurd
> > charges for the simple reason that no such documentation exists.
>
> Correction: I never said what the intention of Israel was. I don't know
> that. I said that they have been supplying arms to Iran when they know
> Iran has been training Arab terrorists.
>
> You are right. It is an "incredible" thing to hear. The reason I did not
> supply any documentation is that even though more than a week has passed
> from the time I posted the original article, so far no one had *asked* for
> documentation. Not only they didn't ask but several people (such as
> Y. Levendel, Bill Tanenbaum, M. Rindsberg and H. Weisberg) tried to explain
> it as if they were already aware of it. This seems very strange to me.
> If it were not true, as an "Israeli supporter" my immediate reaction would
> have been:
>
> Where is the reference?

> My reference is the January 2, 1986 issue of the Kayhaan newspaper,
> published in London, England.

And what exactly did it say ? Is it a reputable newspaper ?
How come most people have never heard of it ?

And if I recall correctly, My first response asked for references.
( I hope it wasn't lost in netnews)

mark
homxb!mr