[net.politics] No Danger on the Right

janw@inmet.UUCP (01/25/86)

[ tim sevener whuxn!orb]
> >>Anticommunist dictators have slaughtered as many of their
> >>own people as communist dictators.       ^^^^^^^

[John Woolsey (so quoted - Woolley perhaps ?)]
> >This is just silliness.  Stalin and Mao between them murdered maybe
> >100 million of their own people.  Hitler is the only "anticommunist
> >dictator" that even weighs in the balance, at about 15 million.  Just
> >where do you make up that difference?  (Hell, I bet all the other
> >"anticommunists" this century haven't killed as many as Pol Pot.)

>[Tim Sevener: ]  Everyone knows about the horrible massacre performed
>by Pol Pot.  But how many people know about the massacre of thousands
>which occurred in a refugee camp in Guatemala?  How many people know
>about the many people "missing" in Chile or "disappeared" in Guatemala
>since the refugee camp massacre?

Summing up Tim Sevener's arithmetic, thousands are "as many" as millions.
                                     ^^^^^^^^^      ^^^^^^^     ^^^^^^^^

J. W.'s remarks need qualification: the numbers of Hitler's  vic-
tims  *per  year*  are  almost as impressive as Stalin's; but his
rule was shorter. Anyway, both regimes were  essentially  identi-
cal.

Hitler was just as murderous as Lenin and Stalin, but he has  one
great virtue: he is dead. Stalin lives, in his heirs.

			Jan Wasilewsky

tedrick@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (01/27/86)

>J. W.'s remarks need qualification: the numbers of Hitler's  vic-
>tims  *per  year*  are  almost as impressive as Stalin's; but his
>rule was shorter. Anyway, both regimes were  essentially  identi-
>cal.
>
>Hitler was just as murderous as Lenin and Stalin, but he has  one
>great virtue: he is dead. Stalin lives, in his heirs.

I don't quite agree that the regimes were essentially identical. In some
ways Stalin's methods were more clever in being more devious and
indirect. For example rather than death camps, taking away food
and means of production, and leaving the rest to famine.

Stalin seems to me to have had more shrewdness. Despite having caused
suffering on roughly the same scale as Hitler, his regime survives
and to some extent he is being "rehabilitated", while Hitler looks
more like a foolish megalomaniac who destroyed the nation and people
he claimed to be saving.

mahoney@bach.DEC (01/29/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 25-JAN-1986 16:37---------------------

Jan

  Do you have proof for what you say about Cuba?  I have heard differntly
about conditions i Cuba and woul be interested in the sources you have.

Brian Mahoney

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (01/30/86)

In article <7800908@inmet.UUCP> janw@inmet.UUCP writes:

>[ tim sevener whuxn!orb]
>>Everyone knows about the horrible massacre performed
>>by Pol Pot.  But how many people know about the massacre of thousands
>>which occurred in a refugee camp in Guatemala?
>
>*Now* they know about the Cambodian genocide. *Then* they (educated,
>reading people in USA) didn't. Why, Tim ? Did the journalists know ?
>Sure they did, there were tens of thousands refugees to tell the story.
>And the editors covered themselves by printing rare small notes
>on back pages, with "unverified" a prominent term. Why didn't they
>verify ? Or display even unverified data of that importance,
>for all to see ?  - Why ?
>
>		Jan Wasilewsky

  This is just not true. Anybody with a brain and a memory should be
able to recall the *extensive* coverage of the Cambodian holocaust
which began right after the Kymher Rouge takeover.

  Gene Smith