[net.politics] Israeli militarism

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (01/27/86)

J.Abeles writes:

> In any case, I would like to point out that Israel is not
> hostile towards the Arab States except to defend itself,
AND OCCUPY OR ANNEX ANY PIECE OF ARAB LAND WHENEVER IT GETS A
CHANCE!
> For those who don't remember the UN Partition plan map,
> its borders were drawn in many areas using a ruler on
> a map with no concern for military defense.

In my opinion, it is this israeli concern for military defense
which is blocking Israel from seeing the light at the end of the
tunnel. That concern leads many israeli leaders to adopt the
axiom "The best defense is the attack or offense". This axiom
was the israeli justification of its invasion of Lebanon in 1982.
They (the israelis) may and are reusing it to justify further military
actions or invasions whenever the balance of force tips in their
favor.
History teaches that many nations and leaders got trapped in that
axiom whenever they adopted it. Eventually, it caused their downfall.
From a politico-military point of view, Hanibal, Neron, Hitler ...
and several others could trace their downfall to their strict
adoption of this concept "Best defense = attack".
Further, the adoption of this concept by Israel has the negative
effect of making the israelis overlook any slight chance for a
peaceful settlment. For PEACE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF WAR!!
_______________________
Chedley Aouriri

abeles@mhuxm.UUCP (J. Abeles (Bellcore, Murray Hill, NJ)) (01/28/86)

> > In any case, I would like to point out that Israel is not
> > hostile towards the Arab States except to defend itself,
> AND OCCUPY OR ANNEX ANY PIECE OF ARAB LAND WHENEVER IT GETS A
> CHANCE!
If one acquiesces in the commonly-expressed opinion that
the Israeli military is superior to the combined might of the Arabs'
military, this statement would appear incorrect.  That is because
the Israelis have had many chances to annex "ARAB LAND" (as a
result of that military might) and turned them down.  Try to
remember how Israel occupied the Sinai peninsula three-count'em-three
times and gave it up just to get a piece of paper signed by an
Arab leader.  That piece of paper may not even mean much, but the
Israelis took the intangible promise of peaceful relations for
the tangible property called the Sinai peninsula during the Camp
David negotiations.
> > For those who don't remember the UN Partition plan map,
> > its borders were drawn in many areas using a ruler on
> > a map with no concern for military defense.
> In my opinion, it is this israeli concern for military defense
> which is blocking Israel from seeing the light at the end of the
> tunnel. That concern leads many israeli leaders to adopt the
> axiom "The best defense is the attack or offense".
As far as "the best defense being a good offense" goes, I think
it is a matter of strategy, almost a matter of semantics.  The
true issue is whether the perceived need for a strong defense
is based on reality, and there it leaves no room for argument; i.e.,
defense definitely is required in a situation where one's enemies
amass troops along your borders periodically, while publicly
proclaiming their ardent desire to see you annihilated!

gottlieb@alliant.UUCP (Bob Gottlieb) (02/05/86)

In article <582@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> (Chedley Aouriri) writes:

>In my opinion, it is this israeli concern for military defense
>which is blocking Israel from seeing the light at the end of the
>tunnel. That concern leads many israeli leaders to adopt the
>axiom "The best defense is the attack or offense". This axiom
>was the israeli justification of its invasion of Lebanon in 1982.
>They (the israelis) may and are reusing it to justify further military
>actions or invasions whenever the balance of force tips in their
>favor.
>History teaches that many nations and leaders got trapped in that
>axiom whenever they adopted it. Eventually, it caused their downfall.
>From a politico-military point of view, Hanibal, Neron, Hitler ...
>and several others could trace their downfall to their strict
>adoption of this concept "Best defense = attack".
>Further, the adoption of this concept by Israel has the negative
>effect of making the israelis overlook any slight chance for a
>peaceful settlment. For PEACE IS NOT THE ABSENCE OF WAR!!

I am totally dumbfounded at this letter. Totally. Israel has negotiated
with any of its neighbors willing to accept its right to exist (while
not agreeing necessarily on the borders). To date that has been one: Egypt.
They negotiated, and the land taken as a result of the 1973 war (which
was, like most of the wars against Israel, not started by Israel - you
can quibble over semanitics on the 1967 war, but ignoring that for the
moment) was returned. There is NO evidence that Israel is not willing
to negotiate, given that the neighbor is willing to accept peace. Israel
would LOVE peace. It would probably accept its original borders if it
felt it could have peace. However, the history of the situation shows
otherwise - Syria, Jordan, and Egypt have all attacked Israel. At the
present time, Egypt is cool but friendly, Jordan is cool but not cold
(although they still need to recognize that Israel has a right to exist
before haggling over the borders), and Syria would still like to drive
Israel into the sea. So saying that Israel will "overlook any slight chance"
is an outragous statement. It is hard for the steer to negotiate with
the butcher, and until Israel's neighbors (excluding Egypt) show some
willingness to accept Israel as an entity, there is no chance for peace.

Israel is willing to take a chance for peace (Camp David was definitely
a chance), but it ain't willing to let its throat be cut. We've had
enough martyrs, thank you.
--

						-- Bob Gottlieb
UUCP: ...!linus!alliant!gottlieb