[net.politics] Israeli mindset

aouriri@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Chedley Aouriri) (01/27/86)

Dan Winkowski writes:

> > Unfortunately, Israel is unlikely to reach that stage of maturity
> > while it retains the mindset of a nation battling for its life.

To which Mark, jumping to the ceiling, replies:

> What the hell are you talking about ???? mindset ????
> Who keeps attacking ?? Israel ???? NO, THE ARABS HAVE BEEN THE AGRESSORS AND
> BELIEVE IT OR NOT, ISRAEL IS FIGHTING FOR HER LIFE EVERY TIME !!!!!!!

This is precisely THE PROBLEM in the Middle-East. How come Israel,
with its military superiority over all its neighbours, and the
backing of the most powerful nation on earth -USA- , cannot settle
down the palestinian problem.
Instead, Israel goes out of its way to "prove" that Abu-Nidhal and
his buddies are out to push the israelis into the sea, and
hence it should not deal with the palestinian problem.
It is this mindset, this ghetto mentality which could well be
Israel's worst ennemy.
As a famous jewish philosopher says: "You can take the jew out of
the ghetto, but you cannot take the ghetto out of the jew".
___________
Chedley Aouriri.

gottlieb@alliant.UUCP (Bob Gottlieb) (02/05/86)

In article <583@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> (Chedley Aouriri) writes:

>This is precisely THE PROBLEM in the Middle-East. How come Israel,
>with its military superiority over all its neighbours, and the
>backing of the most powerful nation on earth -USA- , cannot settle
>down the palestinian problem.

You can't settle the problem if its neighbors won't talk to it.
--

						-- Bob Gottlieb
UUCP: ...!linus!alliant!gottlieb