[net.politics] American troops in Turkey, S. Korea

cdp@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/27/86)

Written cramer@kontron.UUCP

>Turkey had an election a little while back.  While the election process
>wasn't as democratic as the U.S. or Western Europe, by comparision
>with the elections in Hungary (which you have expressed such enthusiam
>for) and the elections in Nicaragua, Turkey's election was quite democratic.

Mr Cramer, there is not "much" or "little" democracy. Either there is democracy
somewhere or there isn't. In Turkey as every informed person knows there is
still dictatorship of the most brutal form, where political prisoners and
minorities such as armenians and kurds (sp?) are tortured and sentenced to
death every day. Don't forget that chief is still the brutal dictator
Evren (sp?). Europe has virtually broken any relations with Turkey.

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (01/30/86)

In article <11000118@uiucdcsb> cdp@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Mr Cramer, there is not "much" or "little" democracy. Either there is democracy
>somewhere or there isn't.

Of course there is such a thing. You just can't divide all the governments
in the world into either 0% democracy or 100% democracy. There are distinct
degrees of democracy, measured, among other things, by the freedoms present
or absent in that society (freedom of the press, of media access, of speech,
of assembly, of travel (inside the country or outside), of being able to
work in whatever you want and live where you choose to, labor unions, etc.).

Some countries have none of these freedoms, some countries have all of
these freedoms and some have a fraction thereof. I would call that different
degrees of democracy.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/31/86)

> Written cramer@kontron.UUCP
>
> >Turkey had an election a little while back.  While the election process
> >wasn't as democratic as the U.S. or Western Europe, by comparision
> >with the elections in Hungary (which you have expressed such enthusiam
> >for) and the elections in Nicaragua, Turkey's election was quite democratic.
>
> Mr Cramer, there is not "much" or "little" democracy. Either there is democracy
> somewhere or there isn't. In Turkey as every informed person knows there is
> still dictatorship of the most brutal form, where political prisoners and
> minorities such as armenians and kurds (sp?) are tortured and sentenced to
> death every day. Don't forget that chief is still the brutal dictator
> Evren (sp?). Europe has virtually broken any relations with Turkey.

The original comment that I was responding to was full of apologies for the
Hungarian and Nicaraguan elections -- I was pointing out that RELATIVE to
those two countries, Turkey appears to be more democratic.

Also, democratic systems aren't hostile to torture and death sentences.
Democracy is just a way of making decisions by majority rule -- it certainly
is no guarantee of decency.

In article <11000118@uiucdcsb> cdp@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>Mr Cramer, there is not "much" or "little" democracy. Either there is
>democracy somewhere or there isn't.

A clear and simple statement, which is simply and clearly wrong.  There is
a continuum from democracies through autocracies to totalitarianisms, and
a nation may be anywhere along that spectrum.  There are no pure democracies,
and no purely totalitarian governments, although there are some pretty good
approximations to either extreme.

>Europe has virtually broken any relations with Turkey.

This is blatantly false.  Turkey remains a member of NATO.  I have not
heard of ANY European nation breaking off relations with Turkey, except
Greece.  Many European nations have been unhappy about may of the
developments in Turkey in the last decade, but this is a long way from
breaking off relations.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka

cdp@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/05/86)

If you put it that way I guess I have to agree with you guys. But
I still belive that you can call political systems like Turkey's
everything but "democracies".