[net.politics] Israel/Iran/arms

mokhtar@ubc-vision.UUCP (Farzin Mokhtarian) (01/29/86)

Subject: Israel/Iran/arms/influence/terrorists/foolishness

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes:
>    Grant, for an instant, that Iran receives some supplies from Israel.
> Are   they   lethal?   Offensive?   Defensive?   Usable  by  terrorists?
> Hand-held?  Mobile?  Useful for attacking civilian targets?   Let's  get
> specific, please.

None of this changes the point I have argued; that Israel has given military
support to a regime which in turn supports terrorism and I have already
elaborated on that. The distinction you are trying to make is a side issue.

>    Who  publishes  Kayhan, and what is its alignment on various issues?
> To what extent is its political orientation  allowed  to  influence  its
> content?   Is  there  an  English  edition?  Does it get mailed here, so

I don't think there is a need to put that newspaper on trial here. If you
still doubt my source, ask one of the several people who have tried to
explain Israel's action to me for *their* sources. They may be able to
refer you to more famous sources.
   Farzin Mokhtarian

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (01/29/86)

> [(Oded Feingold)]
> >    Who  publishes  Kayhan, and what is its alignment on various issues?
> > To what extent is its political orientation  allowed  to  influence  its
> > content?   Is  there  an  English  edition?  Does it get mailed here, so
-------
>    [Farzin Mokhtarian]
> I don't think there is a need to put that newspaper on trial here. If you
> still doubt my source, ask one of the several people who have tried to
> explain Israel's action to me for *their* sources. They may be able to
> refer you to more famous sources.
------
As one of those people, I must confess I have no good sources.  All I
remember is unconfirmed news reports of spare parts for Iran's American
weapons reaching Iran from Israel.  These reports appeared on TV news
several years ago.  There was no direct mention in the reports of Israeli
government involvement, only an indirect implication.
   The reports, to me at least, were plausible.  Of course, that does
not necessarily make them true.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (02/03/86)

> Subject: Israel/Iran/arms/influence/terrorists/foolishness
>
> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes:
> >    Grant, for an instant, that Iran receives some supplies from Israel.
> > Are   they   lethal?   Offensive?   Defensive?   Usable  by  terrorists?
> > Hand-held?  Mobile?  Useful for attacking civilian targets?   Let's  get
> > specific, please.
>
> None of this changes the point I have argued; that Israel has given military
> support to a regime which in turn supports terrorism and I have already
> elaborated on that. The distinction you are trying to make is a side issue.
>
>    Farzin Mokhtarian

As it was pointed out, Israel's military support is not convincing: the
allegations in mass media (there were some) were talking about aircraft
parts, but other reports were telling that almost no Iranian aircraft can
fly.  What we got is help which is undocummented, uncertain and at best
minuscule.

Even more, Israel is alleged not to help "terrorists", but the helpers,
additionally, is alleged to help the helpers doing something else than
helping terrorist.

What about those links: Western powers providing economical help to
Brasil with large docummented military trade with Iran.

Eastern powers (both USSR and China) supporting North Korea, which is
another major Iranian supplier.

What about anybody who supported (or traded with) Libia, Syria, Iraq
etc.?   We got entire NATO, Warsaw Pact, Arab Ligue, India etc. etc.

Why single Israel out?  It is nearly as arbitrary as an Arab oil
embargo which was affecting Netherlands and (here, here!) Denmark.
I am sure that if you would dig for a while, Danish government would
be exposed to be as 'hideus' as Israel.

Piotr Berman

mokhtar@ubc-vision.UUCP (Farzin Mokhtarian) (02/06/86)

Subject: Re: Israel/Iran/arms

> What about those links: Western powers providing economical help to
> Brasil with large docummented military trade with Iran.
> Eastern powers (both USSR and China) supporting North Korea, which is
> another major Iranian supplier.
> What about anybody who supported (or traded with) Libia, Syria, Iraq
> etc.?   We got entire NATO, Warsaw Pact, Arab Ligue, India etc. etc.
> Why single Israel out?  It is nearly as arbitrary as an Arab oil
> embargo which was affecting Netherlands and (here, here!) Denmark.
> I am sure that if you would dig for a while, Danish government would
> be exposed to be as 'hideus' as Israel.           [Piotr Berman]

I agree with your point but I distinguish between economic and military trade.

I have focused on Israel because it is Israel which has suffered so much from
terrorism so one would expect Israel to be *specially* interested in curbing
terrorism.
  	   Farzin Mokhtarian