[net.politics] Human rights in Nicaragua

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (02/10/86)

The Reagan Administration has made frequent and serious charges
against the Nicaraguan government of human rights abuse.  In light of
the Administration's attempts to stem the flow of public information,
veil its own actions in secrecy, and exalt the power of the
presidency (see Walter Karp's article in the November 1985
*Harper's*); of its assaults on civil liberties; of its attempts to
deny passports and visas to persons purveying "dangerous" ideas; of
its contempt for international law, manifest in the mining of
Nicaraguan harbors and its refusal to accept the jurisdiction of the
World Court; of its provision to the contras, through the CIA, of a
manual encouraging them to violate international law and the Geneva
Accords through assassinations and the like; and of its long-standing
attempt to overthrow the Nicaraguan government by force; in light of
all this, its denunciations of Nicaragua are akin to the pot calling
the refrigerator black.

The status of human rights in Nicaragua, and the contrast between the
reality and the Reagan Administration's portrayal thereof, have been
described by Americas Watch.  The following is excerpted from *Human
Rights in Nicaragua*, published in the summer of 1985.  Bracketed
comments are my own.
_____________________

Allegations of human rights abuse have become a major focus of the
Reagan Administration's campaign to overthrow the Nicaraguan
government.  Such a concerted campaign to use human rights in
justifying military action is without precedent in U.S.-Latin
American relations, and its effect has been an unprecedented
debasement of the human rights cause.

This debasement of human rights contradicts President Reagan's
professed commitment to such rights.  Instead of occuping the "moral
center" of U.S. policy toward Nicaragua, the human rights issue has
been placed in the service of a policy that seeks to advance other
interests.  The legitimacy of those interests is not the province of
Americas Watch; what is of concern to us is the attempt to proclaim a
false symmetry between the promotion of those interests and the
promotion of human rights.

The Administration disregards the norms of impartial reporting on
human rights when it deals with Nicaragua.  Its accusations against
Nicaragua rest on a core of fact:  the Sandinistas have committed
serious abuses, including arbitrary arrests and the summary
relocation of thousands of Miskito Indians.  Around this core of
fact, however, U.S. officials have built an edifice of innuendo and
exaggeration.  The misuse of human rights data -- including some
gathered by Americas Watch -- has become pervasive in official
statements to the press, in White House handouts on Nicaragua, in the
State Department's annual *Country Report* on human rights in
Nicaragua, and, most notably, in the President's own remarks.
Inconvenient findings of the U.S. Embassy in Managua are ignored; the
same is true of data gathered by independent sources.

What *is* the human rights record of the Nicaraguan government?  We
have found that there are no systematic disappearances, extrajudicial
killings, or torture -- as has been the case with the "friendly"
armed forces of El Salvador.  While prior censorship has been imposed
by emergency legislation, debate on major social and political
questions is robust, outspoken, often even strident.  The November
1984 elections, though far from perfect, were a democratic advance
over the past five decades of Nicaraguan history.  They compare
favorably with those held in El Salvador and Guatemala, and they do
not suffer significantly by comparison with elections in Honduras,
Mexico, or Panama.  The Sandinista party won a popular mandate, while
the opposition parties that chose to participate secured some 30
percent of the seats in the Constituent Assembly.  Nor has the
government practiced the elimination of cultural or ethnic groups, as
the Administration frequently claims; indeed, in this respect, as in
most others, Nicaragua's record is by no means as bad as that of
Guatemala, whose government the Administration consistently defends.
Moreover, since 1982 there have been some notable reductions in
abuses, despite the pressure caused by escalating external attacks.

The Nicaraguan government must be held accountable for the abuses
that continue to take place, such as restrictions on press freedom
and due process.  But unless those abuses are fairly described, the
debate on Nicaragua has no meaning.

[The Administration, in Orwellian fashion, has frequently denounced
the Nicaraguan government as "totalitarian".  Such debasement of the
language insults the many victims of this century's totalitarian
regimes.  In "totalitarian" Nicaragua] the Catholic Church and
several Protestant denominations not only operate independently in
Nicaragua but express their views freely on both religious matters
and every conceivable secular issue; similarly, business and
professional associations and labor unions are unhesitatingly
critical of the government and its leaders.  Political parties
representing a wide spectrum of views have elected representatives
who debate issues in the Constituent Assembly.  The parties that
chose to participate in the 1984 national elections -- from which no
party was banned -- were free to be as strident as they wished in
attacking the Sandinista party and its leaders, and this right was
frequently exercised using television and radio time provided at no
cost.  An independent human rights commission maintains and
distributes -- both nationally and internationally -- detailed
monthly reports on human rights abuses by the government, and does
not seem to circumscribe itself in denouncing those abuses.

Any Nicaraguan and any visitor to Nicaragua can walk into dozens of
offices in the capital and meet officers and employees of various
independent institutions who will not only criticize the government
and its leaders, and even challenge the legitimacy of the state, but
do so for attribution.  Some will hand out literature expressing
those opinions.  This is inconceivable in any state appropriately
described as totalitarian.  Moreover, it is inconceivable in many of
the countries vigorously supported by the United States.  A visitor
to nearby El Salvador, Guatemala, or Haiti may hear criticism of the
government, but if the criticism is as strong as that which is
regularly voiced in Nicaragua, the speaker will generally request
anonymity.
____________________
--
Richard Carnes, ihnp4!gargoyle!carnes

ekrell@ucla-cs.UUCP (02/12/86)

In article <334@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>While prior censorship has been imposed
>by emergency legislation, debate on major social and political
>questions is robust, outspoken, often even strident.

Press censorship in Nicaragua has no other target other than shut off any
attempts by the opposition to speak out. There is no such thing as outspoken
political debate in Nicaragua today. A first signal of such a thing would be
to have some degree of freedom of the press, which is non-existant.

>In "totalitarian" Nicaragua] the Catholic Church and
>several Protestant denominations not only operate independently in
>Nicaragua but express their views freely on both religious matters
>and every conceivable secular issue;

This is the biggest lie I have heard in a long time. Not only have the
Sandinistas shut down the church owned radio station but they now censor
the sunday sermons by the priests.

It is also interesting that the latest report by Amnesty International
on Nicaragua (just off the press) criticizes BOTH the contras AND the
Sandinistas for human rights violations.
--
    Eduardo Krell               UCLA Computer Science Department
    ekrell@ucla-locus.arpa      ..!{sdcrdcf,ihnp4,trwspp,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!ekrell