[net.politics] Soviets as "peacelovers": re to Albrecht

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (03/06/86)

      I wrote:

> >  ...  Reagan is the first President in
> >  20 years to achieve absolutely NO arms control agreements.
> >  During his 5 years the Soviets have deployed hundreds of
> >  new nuclear weapons - are we safer?

      Tom Albrecht replied:

> SALT I is still in effect and both the Soviets and the US agreed to abide
> by the language of SALT II even though the thing was never ratified.  So
> how come the Soviets are deploying new weapons if they're the peacelovers
> you make them out to be?  Arms control agreements are no good if
> either side has no intentions of living up to them.  And apparently the
> Soviets have no intention.

Whoever said that the Soviets are "peacelovers"? I never have made such
a claim.  I *will* claim that the Soviets are *semi-rational* and
wish to avoid annihilation.  For this reason they have as much of
an interest as we do, and every person on this planet in trying to
control nuclear weapons.  It is for this reason that the Soviets
have negotiated numerous arms control agreements since 1959, and
that they have complied with these agreements for the most part.
For the same reason past American presidents, whether Republican
or Democratic, have also negotiated these arms control agreements.

The first major arms control agreement was the Limited Test Ban
treaty banning atmospheric nuclear tests in 1963.  The Soviets
have *never* conducted an atmospheric nuclear test since this
treaty was negotiated.  According to the Reagan administration
the Soviets have "violated" this treaty because some radioactive
materials have leaked from some Soviet underground tests. This
is the typical "cheating" charge which has been used by Reagan
to justify the arms race by saying the Soviets "cheat".  In fact
such a charge can be laid to the US as well - there have been
leaks detected from American underground nuclear tests as well.
But does this mean tests have been conducted in the atmosphere?
Certainly not.  Moreover if Reagan joined the Soviet moratorium
on *all* nuclear testing there would be no leaks whatsoever.

SALT II did *not* stop all arms increases.  It called for overall
limits of 2500 on certain categories of Soviet nuclear weapons
and 818 on Soviet ICBM's.  It did not limit cruise missiles and
other weapons categories whatsoever. Once again the Reagan
administration has been caught in a strange contradiction of
their claimed "facts".  An administration report accused the
Soviets of exceeding the 2500 limit in SALT II, while the very
next day the Joint Chiefs of Staff official report on
Soviet weapons reported that the Soviets were under the 2500 limit.

The bulk of the evidence indicates that the Soviets indeed
greatly desire nuclear arms agreements for several reasons:
  1)they do not wish to be annihilated
  2)currently they have a rough parity, but the threats of
    newly developed American first-strike weapons such as the MX
    missile and the Trident D-5 missile coupled with Star Wars
    threaten that parity
  3)they cannot afford to waste billions on arms when their people
    are dissatisfied with the current Soviet economy

These reasons hardly mean the Soviets are "peaceloving" or
pacifists.  It simply indicates they have rational interests
in stopping the arms race.
         tim sevener   whuxn!orb