[net.politics] Orphaned Responce

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (03/09/86)

> If there is one thing this newsgroup needs, it is people with first hand
> experience of living in Communist countries, particularly the Soviet
> Union.  I, for one, have attempted to rebut ridiculous comparisons
> of human rights abuses in the U. S. with those in the U. S. S. R.
> (e. g. the shopping mall controversy).  However, I cannot explain how
> things are in the USSR with the same accuracy and credibility as you can.
> We'll miss you!
> --
> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

OK, I do have first-hand experience.  For posting on the wall I was
treatened with blacklisting (no meaningful job after graduation),
and I know that the treat was not empty.  For exercising free speech
you may be arrested, denied passport etc. etc.  Sometimes you may
be imprisoned for several years.

US is really better than USSR.  But shall this be sufficient?
Shall one apply so easy a yardstick to "the land of the free
and  the home of the brave"?

Piotr Berman

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/10/86)

In article <2015@psuvax1.UUCP>, berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) writes:
> OK, I do have first-hand experience.

[living in Russia - mc68020]

> For posting on the wall I was
> treatened with blacklisting (no meaningful job after graduation),
> and I know that the treat was not empty.  For exercising free speech
> you may be arrested, denied passport etc. etc.  Sometimes you may
> be imprisoned for several years.
>
> US is really better than USSR.  But shall this be sufficient?
> Shall one apply so easy a yardstick to "the land of the free
> and  the home of the brave"?
>
> Piotr Berman

   THANK YOU, Piotr!  (btw way, could you send me a phonetically spelled
   pronunciation of Piotr?)

   I get sick and tired of idiots who insist that because I *DARE* to
criticize America, I am somehow aiding and abetting the "filthy commies".
God damn it, dissent is not only a freedom it is a responsibility!  This
nation was founded upon dissent.  How *DARE* any of you denigrate me for
exercising my right and responsibility to dissent, when I see things that
are wrong!!??!!

   You people who play this game are the ones who do not belong in America!
Hitler's Germany or Stalin's Russia are much more suited to your style!  You
want everyone to have the freedom to agree with you.  Otherwise, they are
"the enemy", or at least are aiding and abetting.  You people make me
sick!  Go join your brothers and sisters in the John Birch Society!

--

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)