[net.politics] In the Name of God: Sojourners

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (03/10/86)

> Guy Ferraiolo writes:
>
> >Where were these people when the Tibetan, Cambodians,
> >Ukranians, etc., etc., etc., were being slaughtered?

I can tell you where they were when the Afghans first began
being slaughtered by the Soviet invasion: marching in the
streets of Washington.  Last year Sojourners, a group
of Christians concerned with actually putting into practice
Christ's message of nonviolence and peace, conducted demonstrations
in Washington against both the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan
and Reagan's war in Central America.
Mary Travers, of Peter, Paul and Mary, who has always been
in the forefront of those championing peace over war, last fall
conducted a benefit concert for the rights of Soviet Jews.
Joan Baez protested the slaughter both in Cambodia and repressions
of Vietnamese citizens by the Communists.  She also gave
a concert in Gdansk for Solidarity several months ago.

Where were *you* during such demonstrations, Guy?
Have you done anything to make the world a more peaceful and
less violent place? To defend human rights round the world?
Why don't you join us in opposing war and repression
*everywhere* it occurs?

             tim sevener  whuxn!orb