[net.politics] Israeli sinking of the Liberty

lieman@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Dan &) (03/12/86)

Someone just brought up the example of the Israeli sinking of the
Liberty as justification for claiming that the Israelis will attack
without provocation.  I don't want to get into an arguement about
whether Israel would attack without provocation, but I
do want to clear up the half-statements made about the Liberty.

First, the Liberty itself.  Public belief says it was a CIA spy ship.
Many, however, believe it was a NSA SIGINT gathering ship. (_Puzzle_Palace_).
In any event, it had been ordered three times by the Navy and Intelligence
high commands to change its location.  Why those orders never reached it
is a serious question.  Three separate times the US military failed
to properly execute orders.  Israel had warned the US to move the ship
unoffically, since the ship was listening in on important Israeli
military orders.  Remember: Egypt, Jordan, Saudi Arabia are also
allies of the U.S.  If the U.S. had information that Israel was planning
a strategic thrust in some area, it is not at all unthinkable that
a sympathetic American State or Defense official would pass that info.
along to the Arabs.

The Liberty was not a commercial vessel.  It was a military ship.  It
was in a war zone.  It had been ordered to move.  This is not
an unprovoked attack.  This is a part of a war.  If the U.S. had sunk
a communist intelligence ship 5 miles off South Korea during the war,
would this be unprovoked?  Better come up with a better example
to justify your claim.

-Dan Lieman

hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) (03/13/86)

In article <12345@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, lieman@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Dan &) writes:
> Israel had warned the US to move the ship
> unoffically, since the ship was listening in on important Israeli
> military orders.
>
> The Liberty was not a commercial vessel.  It was a military ship.  It
> was in a war zone.  It had been ordered to move.  This is not
> an unprovoked attack.  This is a part of a war.
>
> -Dan Lieman

The above remarks fly in the face of Israel's claim of a 'strategic
alliance' with the U.S.

For the full story of what happened to the Liberty, I recommend
the book "Assault on the Liberty," by James M. Ennes, Jr., a U.S. Navy
officer (now retired) who served on the Liberty at the time it was
attacked by Israeli aircraft and torpido boats on June 7, 1968.
I quote from the epilogue to Ennes' book,

	"Mr. Johnson wanted Mr. Eban to understand, and to inform his
	government, that the United States would not support Israel if
	Israel initiated hostilities. The president chose his words
	carefully as he said,'The central point, Mr. Minister, is that
	your nation not be the one to bear responsibility for any outbreak
	of war.

	"Not surprisingly, Israel claimed that nearly everything she
	did was in self defense. The preemptive strikes of the fifth of
	June were in self defense. The capture of El Arish, the naval
	and paratroop assault on Sharm el-Shaikh, the sweep through Sinai,
	and the armed penetration of Jordan were all in self defense.
	Now, with the war virtually over and with the world crying for
	peace, could Israel put troops in Syria without being seen as an
	agressor. Probably not. NOT WITH THE USS LIBERTY SO CLOSE TO
	SHORE AND PRESUMABLY LISTENING. LIBERTY WOULD HAVE TO GO.
	(my emphasis)

	"On November 9, 1967, a confidential source reported clearly
	and unequivocally that General Moshe Dayan ordered the attack.
	The message read,
		'[The source] commented on the sinking [sic] of the
		US Communications ship Liberty. They said that Dayan
		personally ordered the attach on the ship ..'
		(CIA information report)"

A less benevolant view is presented in Lilienthal's book, "The Zionist
Connection II," where a report by British jounalist Anthony Pearson is
mentioned. According to Lilienthal, he reports that,

	"CIA officers, the Israeli general staff, certain Israeli
	politicians and inner members of Johnson's administration
	agreed to promote a contained war between Israel and Egypt,
	which would not affect territorial lines between Israel,
	Syria and Jordan.

	"... [Deputy Israeli Ambassador] Eppy Evron was [Israel's]
	liason in Washington, dealing directly with [head of CIA
	intelligence James] Angleton and Eugene Rostow of the State
	Department.

	"The Israelis assured the Americans that the ensuing war would
	be fought to the predesigned American plan of containment.

	"On June 7 Eugene Rostow called [Israeli Ambassaador] Avraham
	Harmann to the State Department and warned him that the Israeli
	attack must stop immediately; ... hours after that, [the Israelis]
	ordered that the ship be sunk.

	"Defense Minister Moshe Dayan, according to Israeli author
	Zeev Schiff, had masterminded the great 'Befuddle Plan,'
	which called for a news blackout on Israeli victories so as
	to prevent the intervention of a cease-fire inspired by the
	U.S.S.R. or the U.N. The Liberty, with its extremely sophisti-
	cated intelligence eqwiupment, ... was keeping the Joint Chiefs
	of Staff in Washington directly informed of the overwhelming
	Israeli victory, that by now included Jerusalem and the West
	Bank."

The key fact relevant to US citizens, apart from possible foreign policy
machinations by their elected officials, is the scale of the official
coverup of the Liberty story. Ennes writes,

	"Details of the attack were hushed up in both countries. Israel
	claimed that her forces mistook the Liberty for an Egyptian ship,
	and our government quietly accepted that excuse despite evidence
	to the contrary. Then our government downplayed the intensity of
	the [Israeli] surveillance and the severity of the attack, and
	imposed a news blackout to keep the story under control."