[net.politics] Organized Objectivism

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (03/10/86)

This I got from the inside front cover of a paperback edition of
Ayn Rand's book, _Philosophy: Who Needs It?_:

    As a human being, you have no choice about the fact that you need a
    philosophy.  Your only choice is whether you define your philosophy by
    a conscious, rational, disciplined process of thought... or let your
    subconscious accumulate a junk heap of unwarranted conclusions...

Elsewhere in her works (though I don't remember where), on some
subject, she advised her readers not to take her word for it, but
rather to figure it out for themselves.  Clearly, she valued
independent thinking.

I find the phenomenon of organized Objectivism rather amusing...
imagine people forming clubs and gathering to think independently
together...
--
David Canzi

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/11/86)

> This I got from the inside front cover of a paperback edition of
> Ayn Rand's book, _Philosophy: Who Needs It?_:
>
>     As a human being, you have no choice about the fact that you need a
>     philosophy.  Your only choice is whether you define your philosophy by
>     a conscious, rational, disciplined process of thought... or let your
>     subconscious accumulate a junk heap of unwarranted conclusions...
>
> Elsewhere in her works (though I don't remember where), on some
> subject, she advised her readers not to take her word for it, but
> rather to figure it out for themselves.  Clearly, she valued
> independent thinking.
>
> I find the phenomenon of organized Objectivism rather amusing...
> imagine people forming clubs and gathering to think independently
> together...
> --
> David Canzi

The conformist nature of many of the people involved with Objectivism
is the reason that Objectivists are frequently known in libertarian/
anarchist circles as "Randroids".

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (03/12/86)

> I find the phenomenon of organized Objectivism rather amusing...
> imagine people forming clubs and gathering to think independently
> together...
> --
> David Canzi

This comment demonstrates the absurd individualism of Objectivism.
There is not a philosophy ever invented which did not involve
a circle of individuals in interactive *discussion* and *debate*.
If not through immediate personal conversation then through
the medium of books, articles or letters.

Indeed thought itself is primarily conducted through language or
symbolic manipulations which are culturally and socially produced
and transmitted.

Try to extract the philosophy from a person who has been raised
with virtually no human contact.  You won't get very far.

This is why philosophies inevitably reflect the social and
cultural milieu of their time and it also explains the
well-documented fact in the history of science that
some 33% or more of scientific discoveries are dual discoveries.
I.e. two scientists made the same discovery independently
without knowing of the other's discovery.
Why? Because the time and conditions in science as an organized
social entity were ready for it.

Let us promote discussion and dialogue- not solipsism!

           tim sevener  whuxn!orb

cjh@petsd.UUCP (Chris Henrich) (03/13/86)

[]
In article <2153@watdcsu.UUCP> dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) writes:

>I find the phenomenon of organized Objectivism rather amusing...
>imagine people forming clubs and gathering to think independently
>together...
>--

Well, um, isn't that what a research-oriented university is
supposed to be?

You recently posted an interesting article on the way English
words for objective truth and falsehood are contaminated with
evaluative senses of good and evil etc.  I cannot say whether
this is a local hang-up of our culture or a more general
property of human nature; either way, anyone who aspires to
think "objectively" will desire (and need) the moral support
of others with the same kind of aspiration.

Regards,
Chris

--
Full-Name:  Christopher J. Henrich