[net.politics] Reagan evil?: re to jj

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (02/27/86)

> from jj:
> You know, Tim, over the years you've blamed Reagan for a lot
> of things. No, make that EVERYthing.
> It's very interesting how you are very careful to not acknowledge
> when Reagan does something you agree with, now isn't it, or is it perhaps
> that you don't notice, since you know beyond any shadow of a doubt that
> the man is evil beyond imagnination?

   Reagan's character:
   What is one to make of Ronald Reagan's constant distortions
   and untruths?  For example:
   "Trees pollute"
   "There are more forests now than in Washington's day"
   "The US unilaterally disarmed during the 70's"
   "The SS troops at Bitburg were victims "
   "A Jewish girl just bat mitzvahed suggested I lay a
    wreath at Bitburg"
   "There is no segregation in South Africa"
   "Sending Margaret Heckler to Ireland is a promotion"
   "There was violence and fraud from both sides in the Phillipines"
       etc, etc, etc ad nauseum
 a)Reagan is simply stupid and uninformed
   the problem with this explanation is that when Reagan's
   lies, distortions or made-up stories have been pointed out
   to be false or totally unsubstantiated, he goes right ahead
   and uses the very same story again. Over and over and over.....
   Is he *so* stupid that he can't even remember being corrected?
   I doubt it.

 b)Reagan is the typical lying politician
   given that Reagan's distortions *always* favor his own
   political ideology this has some plausibility.  But then
   he *is* so sincere in saying it, he never expresses the
   guilt of the liar who knows he is lying.

 c)Reagan truly believes what he says
   this is probably true but then how does what he says
   so frequently conflict with the facts even when they are
   pointed out to him?

My explanation is a combination of all three causes.  Reagan is
very ill-informed on very many issues but not necessarily
stupid.  However he is also a pathological liar, i.e. somebody
who not only incessantly lies, but somebody who *believes* his
own lies and made-up stories.  The pathological liar can never
be uncovered on a lie detector test (or by the shifty eye test)
because he comes to believe his own lies.  Reagan used to simply
make-up play by play announcements on radio when the ticker-tape
broke.  He does the same with  making up stories about teenage
welfare mothers living high on the hog, or students on
student aid living in luxury, or the "communist dictatorship"
in Nicaragua.  He makes up convenient fictions which accord with
his narrowminded view of the world.  Does this mean he is "evil"?
Not necessarily.  Certainly his *intentions* are good given
his narrowminded view of the world - everything would be a
paradise if one could really perform such miracles as
quadrupling the military budget, cutting taxes and still balance
the budget.  Or if one could have a magic technological wand
to make nuclear weapons obsolete.  But this is the type of
fantastic thinking that pathological liars and the deranged
engage in.  But should a nation be so deranged?
These types of fantasy may be comforting but they are *dangerous*.
While Reagan spins out such fantasies, both the US and the Soviet
Union are building 5 new nuclear weapons every *day*.  Reagan plans
on building 17,000 more nuclear weapons in the next decade.
(Scientific American, Nov. 1982, charts on projected weapons)
The MX missile, the Trident D-5 missile are *first-strike* capable
weapons which make the nuclear standoff even more precarious.
While the world spends $900 billion this year on weapons
people are starving, without shelter, and desperately poor
throughout the world.
I think supporting such a policy is morally wrong, just as it
was wrong to support slavery and wrong to support segregation.
Most especially to support these policies by a web of lies
is particularly repugnant.  The lies should be exposed.
That is what my articles are intended to do.
           tim sevener   whuxn!orb

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/02/86)

> > from jj:
> > You know, Tim, over the years you've blamed Reagan for a lot
> > of things. No, make that EVERYthing.
> > It's very interesting how you are very careful to not acknowledge
> > when Reagan does something you agree with, now isn't it, or is it perhaps
> > that you don't notice, since you know beyond any shadow of a doubt that
> > the man is evil beyond imagnination?
>
>    Reagan's character:
>    What is one to make of Ronald Reagan's constant distortions
>    and untruths?  For example:
>    "Trees pollute"

Tim, they do.  Reagan, as usual, garbled the facts, but essentially it
is correct that trees and shrubs produce a class of air pollution called
xylenes.  They're are the reason the Great Smoky Mountains are smokey.
This is one of the reasons that some Air Quality Managment Districts
in California resisted installing vapor recovery nozzles before the
state forced them -- 75% of the hydrocarbon emissions in some counties
here are plants.

>    "There are more forests now than in Washington's day"

Perhaps depends on the context in which it was said.  Remember when the
news media quoted Jesse Jackson as saying that acid rain was "chemical
warfare" against Canada?  Jackson said something considerably more
sensible, but the thrill of an exciting quote caused the media to
grossly misquote Jackson.  How much more a President the news media
disagree with 180 degrees?

>    "The US unilaterally disarmed during the 70's"

Giggle, giggle.  At best, I would call this hyperbole.

>    "The SS troops at Bitburg were victims "

Depends whether they were draftees or not.

>    "A Jewish girl just bat mitzvahed suggested I lay a
>     wreath at Bitburg"
>    "There is no segregation in South Africa"
>    "Sending Margaret Heckler to Ireland is a promotion"
>    "There was violence and fraud from both sides in the Phillipines"
>        etc, etc, etc ad nauseum

Probably true.  News coverage I saw indicated that there were problems
on both sides.  (Marcos' side, much more than Aquino's side.)

> My explanation is a combination of all three causes.  Reagan is
> very ill-informed on very many issues but not necessarily
> stupid.  However he is also a pathological liar, i.e. somebody
> who not only incessantly lies, but somebody who *believes* his
> own lies and made-up stories.  The pathological liar can never
> be uncovered on a lie detector test (or by the shifty eye test)
> because he comes to believe his own lies.  Reagan used to simply
> make-up play by play announcements on radio when the ticker-tape
> broke.  He does the same with  making up stories about teenage
> welfare mothers living high on the hog, or students on
> student aid living in luxury, or the "communist dictatorship"
> in Nicaragua.  He makes up convenient fictions which accord with
> his narrowminded view of the world.  Does this mean he is "evil"?
> Not necessarily.  Certainly his *intentions* are good given
> his narrowminded view of the world - everything would be a
> paradise if one could really perform such miracles as
> quadrupling the military budget, cutting taxes and still balance
> the budget.  Or if one could have a magic technological wand
> to make nuclear weapons obsolete.  But this is the type of
> fantastic thinking that pathological liars and the deranged
> engage in.  But should a nation be so deranged?
> These types of fantasy may be comforting but they are *dangerous*.

I hate to disappoint you, but the ideas President Reagan expresses
have substantial support in America.  I support some of the ideas
above (and retch).  I guess democracy just isn't a very reliable
system for making decisions. :-)  Don't worry, I'm sure your buddies
in the Kremlin will run America much better.

> While Reagan spins out such fantasies, both the US and the Soviet
> Union are building 5 new nuclear weapons every *day*.  Reagan plans

How many nuclear weapons are being removed from service at the same
time?  My understanding is that total megatonnage has declined on
both sides by 30% over the last ten years.  (Number of weapons has
increased, but the weapons being built are of lower yield than weapons
being retired from service.)  I realize that presenting all the facts
isn't your style, Tim (people might think for themselves and come to
different conclusions.)

> on building 17,000 more nuclear weapons in the next decade.
> (Scientific American, Nov. 1982, charts on projected weapons)
> The MX missile, the Trident D-5 missile are *first-strike* capable
> weapons which make the nuclear standoff even more precarious.
> While the world spends $900 billion this year on weapons
> people are starving, without shelter, and desperately poor
> throughout the world.

It's a waste -- but remember, all of that money isn't wasted.  A lot
of goes back into the economy.  The money is taken in taxes, paid
to defense contractors, who pay it to employees, who buy houses, and
groceries, and personal computers, and give it to charitable organizations.
Just think Tim, defense spending is just like WPA!  Think of all the
good the government does preparing to kill a billion people. :-)
In truth, the money is NOT as well spent as a real WPA style system,
but don't delude yourself that it's spent a lot worse -- and don't
delude yourself that if the money weren't spent on defense it would
be available for the Welfare State.  Those days are PAST.  Too many
of us grew up hungry and poor to believe that everyone needs a free
ride.

> I think supporting such a policy is morally wrong, just as it
> was wrong to support slavery and wrong to support segregation.
> Most especially to support these policies by a web of lies
> is particularly repugnant.  The lies should be exposed.
> That is what my articles are intended to do.
>            tim sevener   whuxn!orb

Your tone and unwillingness to present all the facts make Reagan
look more credible.  A little more calmness would help.  (And maybe
a little more willingness to see Reagan's substantial evils in the
entire class of politicians -- including the left.)

lazarus@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Andrew J &) (03/07/86)

In article <550@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>>    "The US unilaterally disarmed during the 70's"
>
>Giggle, giggle.  At best, I would call this hyperbole.

No, although this is hyperbole, Reagan (and his employee Pat Buchanan)
insist on suggesting that the Democrats did (and still wish to) make
America weak.  You would think that RR would have better arguments
for the $400 hammers -- not to mention entire weapons systems that
screw up like the Sgt York, the Aegis, the Bradley -- than accusing
his opponents of lack of patriotism, but he doesn't.

>>    "The SS troops at Bitburg were victims "
>
>Depends whether they were draftees or not.

I don't believe there were any draftees in the elite SS.

>>    "A Jewish girl just bat mitzvahed suggested I lay a
>>     wreath at Bitburg"
No rebuttal offered here to RR's willingnes to stand complaints
on their heads.
>>    "There is no segregation in South Africa"
No rebuttal here (of course!)
>>    "Sending Margaret Heckler to Ireland is a promotion"
Well, it was the courteous thing to say....
>>    "There was violence and fraud from both sides in the Phillipines"
>>        etc, etc, etc ad nauseum
>
>Probably true.  News coverage I saw indicated that there were problems
>on both sides.  (Marcos' side, much more than Aquino's side.)

Hmmm.  Notice how the State Dept quickly moved the Administration away
from this position.  I haven't heard of *any* fraud on the Aquino
side, and incredibly massive fraud from Marcos's.  Any contrary
evidence would be appreciated.
>> My explanation is a combination of all three causes.  Reagan is
>> very ill-informed on very many issues but not necessarily
>> stupid.  However he is also a pathological liar, i.e. somebody
>> who not only incessantly lies, but somebody who *believes* his
>> own lies and made-up stories.  The pathological liar can never
>> be uncovered on a lie detector test (or by the shifty eye test)
>> because he comes to believe his own lies.  Reagan used to simply
>> make-up play by play announcements on radio when the ticker-tape
>> broke.  He does the same with  making up stories about teenage
>> welfare mothers living high on the hog, or students on
>> student aid living in luxury, or the "communist dictatorship"
>> in Nicaragua.  He makes up convenient fictions which accord with
>> his narrowminded view of the world.  Does this mean he is "evil"?
>> Not necessarily.  Certainly his *intentions* are good given
>> his narrowminded view of the world - everything would be a
>> paradise if one could really perform such miracles as
>> quadrupling the military budget, cutting taxes and still balance
>> the budget.  Or if one could have a magic technological wand
>> to make nuclear weapons obsolete.  But this is the type of
>> fantastic thinking that pathological liars and the deranged
>> engage in.  But should a nation be so deranged?
>> These types of fantasy may be comforting but they are *dangerous*.
>
>I hate to disappoint you, but the ideas President Reagan expresses
>have substantial support in America.  I support some of the ideas
>above (and retch).  I guess democracy just isn't a very reliable
>system for making decisions. :-)  Don't worry, I'm sure your buddies
>in the Kremlin will run America much better.

I can't say this clearly enough:
IDEAS are not substitutes for facts.  A vote that the earth is flat
does not make it so.  When the ideas are less tangibly false (e.g.
Aquino's side in the elections perpetrated fraud) they serve to
distort and confuse.

Suggestions that I support the Kremlin can be sent to /dev/null.

 andy

mahoney@bartok.DEC (03/11/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 7-MAR-1986 19:37---------------------

I am sick of reading about Ronald Reagan being a pathological liar.  He is
not a pathological liar.  I do not support Ronald Reagan (I voted for
Mondale) or his programs.  He is above all a politician and a calculating one
at that. The lies or mistruths that he tells are probably those that the most
Presidents would tell unfortunately. Let us look how Lyndon Johnson got
Goldwater branded a hawk.

   *The Goldwater story for those who don't know*

   Senator Goldwater was asked about what he would do in Vietnam. Goldwater
said that if you are going to fight the war fight to win.  If it is neccessary
to use the bomb then use it.  If you are not going to fight to win then we
should get out of the Vietnam altogether and forget about it.  Lyndon and
company left the last part out when ever they talked about this.  Thus they
made it look as though Goldwater was a hawk and they were peaceniks.  Now we
all remember what dear President Johnson did in Vietnam.

   * end of Goldwater story.

  Does this make Johnson a pathalogical liar or a cold calculating individual.
I tend towards the cold calculating individual.  How about how Kennedy talked
about the Diems and other fun persons in Vietnam.  Richard Nixon and how he
kept telling people that he was getting our boys home and kept escalating the
war.  I purpose the problem is not so much with Reagan as with the type of
person we as Americans elect.

  This not meant as an attack on Americans more as an attack on human nature.
Humans tend not to like to hear the truth if it is bad so if someone tells
them something nice well it makes them feel better.  So politicians tend to
tell people not lies but bent truths so it will make things more palitiable
and in that way they stay elected.  (The problem politicians run into is the
press who tend to unbend these truths and thus they look bad.)  It is this
cycle they get into that is very hard to get out of and thus they can go
overboard.

  As an end I do not condone this and this is obviously not true for all
politicians.  Most people have told some short of lie in their life so as
not to hurt someone this is an expansion of that.  I personally think it
is wrong but only the American people can do something about. (fortunately
they can)

 Brian Mahoney

silber@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/12/86)

Just to clear up a point about the Bitsburg incident.
By 1944, both the Waffen SS and the Wehrmacht (regular army) were drawing troops
from the same manpower pool.  The SS tended to get the better troops, but most
of the enlisted men and a fair number of NCO's and officers were either
transfers from the Wehrmacht or draftees.  Those divisions which fought on the
Eastern front tended to behave worse, even in France, than those which had
not, and the older divisions, and volunteer units (from Norway, the Ukraine, and
the Baltic) tended to behave badly too.  The behavior of the 9th and 11th SS
Panzer divisions during Operation Market Garden was exemplary.  I don't know
which divisions had men buried at Bitburg, so I can't make any judgement there.

				Ami Silberman
"The only sure things are death and taxes, and many people cheat on the later..."

slk@mit-vax.UUCP (Ling Ku) (03/14/86)

In article <1623@decwrl.DEC.COM> mahoney@bartok.DEC writes:

>---------------------Reply to mail dated 7-MAR-1986 19:37---------------------
>
>  This not meant as an attack on Americans more as an attack on human nature.
>Humans tend not to like to hear the truth if it is bad so if someone tells
>them something nice well it makes them feel better.  So politicians tend to

May I suggest that while this is true, American is afflicted with a higher
degree of gullibility than most other people.  Maybe we are too well fed and
secure, we just can't imagen how people in the third world lives.  I bet
Reagan can't believe there are non-communist third world countries who are
much worst to live in then developed communist countries (like USSR).

>tell people not lies but bent truths so it will make things more palitiable
>and in that way they stay elected.  (The problem politicians run into is the
>press who tend to unbend these truths and thus they look bad.)  It is this
>cycle they get into that is very hard to get out of and thus they can go
>overboard.
>
>  As an end I do not condone this and this is obviously not true for all
>politicians.  Most people have told some short of lie in their life so as
>not to hurt someone this is an expansion of that.  I personally think it
>is wrong but only the American people can do something about. (fortunately
>they can)
>
> Brian Mahoney

This problem is more true in the US then in most other democratic countries.
In other countries, politicians lie just as much but the people elect them
in spite of their lies, not because of it.  The most blatant lies mostly
deals with foreign policies.  Lies (lets say disinformation) about domestic
policies are trickier, since they are much scrutinized by the Congress and
the press.

The reason why our politicians can get away with a lot of these lies is
that the US populace is not very informed about international affairs.
There is really no solution to this problem unless people in this
country realize our well being relies as much on other people as they
rely on us.  There is a feeling here (not the net, but in general) that
no matter how much we (our DoD, State Dept, President) blunders and mess
other people up, we will be OK, we will still be the strongest, the
richest, the free-est ..  people in the world. I hope it doesn't take a
war that devastates the continental US before people understand that the
US, while strong, is not invincible.

--

					Siu-Ling Ku
					{decvax, harvard}!mitvax!slk