[net.politics] What's So Unthinkable About Slave Labor??

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (03/06/86)

		    ------------------------------
 >   I have this nasty feeling as I read this that you must be joking,
 >and I have missed all of the :-).  If this was a joke and I missed the
 >point feel free to flame at me for my stupidity...
				[David desJardins]

>   No evidence here, just unsupported speculation by ardent anti-Soviets.
		    ------------------------------
    In this case including Andrei Sakharov.  Does he have a history of lying,
or showing disrespect for the truth?

 >   And we all know that if those nasty Communists say one thing the
 >opposite must be true...
		    ------------------------------
    A telling point.

>>	In "The First Guidebook to U.S.S.R. Prisons and Concentration
>>	Camps," Avraham Shifrin superimposed the pipeline route with
>>	wonderful precision on a map of the camps.  [ 141 ]

 >   So at last we have the evidence.  Did he happen by any chance to
 >superimpose either of these with railroad maps?  I'll bet they match
 >with "wonderful precision."  Or does the fact that the camps are near
 >the rail lines mean that the prisoners were forced to build those too? :-)
		    ------------------------------
	It doesn't MEAN it.  But isn't it likely anyway?

    I am mystified that Mr. desJardins belittles the topic  with  cute
debater's tricks.  Does he seriously doubt the allegations?  Must they
be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt" in a  court  of  law?   Evidence
ranging from Solzhenitsyn's works, to reports by Amnesty International
and other human-rights organizations, to stratments  of  ex-prisoners,
to  Soviet military SIOPs (which include punishment battalions of zeks
qto be forced into battle,  with  KGB  forces  riding  herd  on  them)
support  systematic  Soviet  use  of  slave labor on various projects,
including major items of national development.  Is  this  one  somehow
magically different?

    Why such sneering superiority?  If you debate Ron  Rizzo,  do  you
need  to  prove he's screwed up on every point, truth be damned?  Must
you stake your ego (and argument) on a reversal of longstanding Soviet
domestic policy?

    It seems natural to believe the USSR uses slave labor wherever  it
can,  including on the pipeline.  It's a side issue from the viewpoint
of arms control, but not when we model ideal societies.  I don't  feel
a  need  to "prove" such specifics to people emotionally involved with
believing the opposite.  Patterns of  behavior  and  close  precedents
suffice.   That's not ideological - there are nations and regimes with
recent histories of cruel behavior, left and right.  That's  no  great
revelation.
    (Admittedly,  if  someone  accused  the  Swedish   government   of
deliberate  brutality  as  national  policy, I'd want to see extensive
evidence, since it flies in the face of all  other  information  about
that  country.   But  is  it  difficult to believe nasty things happen
routinely in South Africa, Paraguay, even the USSR?  If you were  told
that  Indonesian troops slaughter Timorese, would it amaze you?  Would
you require proof before giving the report any credence?)

    I  suspect  you  wrote  your message merely to make Ron Rizzo feel
like shit.  If that's important to you, go right  ahead,  little  boy.

	    But don't call it debating - merely baiting.
--
----------
Oded Feingold     MIT AI Lab.   545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu (Tom Tedrick) (03/08/86)

> ...  [Oded Feingold replying to David DesJardins, flaming slightly]

Hold it, HOLD IT!

Look, I like Oded. I like David (he is fellow Berkleyite mathematician
type). Let's not get personal guys, please ...

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/15/86)

In article <380@mit-vax.UUCP> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) writes

>>   No evidence here, just unsupported speculation by ardent anti-Soviets.
>
>    In this case including Andrei Sakharov.  Does he have a history of lying,
>or showing disrespect for the truth?

   It's hard to understand how you can cite someone who is not even permitted
to travel as a source for what is happening thousands of miles away.

>>>	In "The First Guidebook to U.S.S.R. Prisons and Concentration
>>>	Camps," Avraham Shifrin superimposed the pipeline route with
>>>	wonderful precision on a map of the camps.  [ 141 ]
>
>>   So at last we have the evidence.  Did he happen by any chance to
>>superimpose either of these with railroad maps?  I'll bet they match
>>with "wonderful precision."  Or does the fact that the camps are near
>>the rail lines mean that the prisoners were forced to build those too? :-)
>
>	It doesn't MEAN it.  But isn't it likely anyway?

   I don't remember claiming that it wasn't likely (actually I know I
didn't!).  I certainly do not question that it *might* be true that the
Soviets are using slave labor in the construction of their pipeline
(ASIDE: just as the US has been known to use chain gangs on public
works projects).  My point is that the posting to which I was replying
offered no evidence to that effect.

And rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes (in response to the same posting):

>>Where's the evidence?  cries David Desjardins.
>
>According to Webster's (WNCD9), evidence: "an outward sign" or "indication,"
>"something that furnishes proof," "something legally submitted to a tribunal
>to ascertain the truth of the matter."
>I offered only "sources" for a "claim," ie, the identification of those who
>made the claim (granted, the word "sources" is ambiguous).

   So, you do *not* claim that there is any "outward sign" or "indication"
that your allegations are true?  If this is so why are you posting them??

>However, the fact
>the sources pointed to, ie, Communist use of slave labor in big works projects
>(from the construction of Moscow high-rises, some of which stand on the sites
>of former camps whose inmates built them, to the digging of the infamous White
>Sea canal), is an outward sign, or indication, of the possible truth of the
>claim that zeks built the pipeline, something that can be taken in at least
>partial evidence of the claim.

   Just as the fact that the US has used chain gangs of prisoners in the
past is an "outward sign" or "indication" that all major public works projects
in the US use slave labor?

>From the intensity & length of David's message, I'd say he has a strong
>desire to examine any evidence.  Well, there's a place to look (& it's a
>fairly obvious one): the NYTimes Index during the 1980s (when the pipe-
>line was built), since the Times dispatched reporters to investigate
>and they published articles.

   NO!  NO!  NO!  This is the whole point!  It is the responsibility of
one who makes allegations to provide the evience for his claim.  I do
read the NY Times.  I have not seen anything that I consider sufficient
evidence to support a claim that slave labor is really being used.
   I would be very happy if you could produce such evidence.  But can't
you at least recognize that it is *your* responsibility to produce evidence
for your claims (that is, if you wish them to be taken seriously by
intelligent people)?

>I'd do it myself & post the results if I had the time.  But at least
>Oded Feingold & I raised the issue, and interested parties can pursue
>the matter further, that is, if they're really interested at all.

   What do you mean by "pursue the matter further"?  I really can't see
how I could do this short of traveling to the Soviet Union, escaping
from my "tour guides," and journeying thousands of miles across Siberia
to the construction sites.  I'm afraid I don't have the time either. :-)
   The point is that there is (to my knowledge) not a sufficient body of
published evidence to support your claims.  I am *not* saying that they
are not true (so please don't put those words in my mouth).  I am saying
that an intelligent discussion requires that each side produce evidence
to support its claims (a claim which I take to be self-evident, and so
I will provide no evidence :-)).

Finally, back to OAF's more personal (to say the least) comments:

>    I am mystified that Mr. desJardins belittles the topic  with  cute
>debater's tricks.  Does he seriously doubt the allegations?  Must they
>be proven "beyond a reasonable doubt" in a  court  of  law?   Evidence
>ranging from Solzhenitsyn's works, to reports by Amnesty International
>and other human-rights organizations, to stratments  of  ex-prisoners,
>to  Soviet military SIOPs (which include punishment battalions of zeks
>qto be forced into battle,  with  KGB  forces  riding  herd  on  them)
>support  systematic  Soviet  use  of  slave labor on various projects,
>including major items of national development.  Is  this  one  somehow
>magically different?

   Do I seriously doubt the allegations?  Yes, in the sense that I
refuse to believe things for which I have seen a sufficient body of
evidence.  This applies to the Soviet Union just as surely as to science
or the Bermuda Triangle (to some people this is self-evident and requires
no evidence; how do you feel about that?).
   I think I can actually make a good analogy with UFOs.  There have been
many published accounts of UFO sightings, reports from UFO "prisoners,"
etc.  Do you believe in alien UFOs?  Of course not (I hope :-)).  You
require evidence.
   And I do not consider unsupported claims of other uses of slave labor
as evidence for this particular case!  Or do you consider that the broader
your allegations, the less evidence is required?

>    Why such sneering superiority?  If you debate Ron  Rizzo,  do  you
>need  to  prove he's screwed up on every point, truth be damned?  Must
>you stake your ego (and argument) on a reversal of longstanding Soviet
>domestic policy?

   I intended no "sneering superiority," and I do not believe such was
present.  Any such implications come from your own interpretation.
   Are you saying that in replying to an article one should not reply to
all of the points raised in the article?  And I am *not* making the
positive assertion that slave labor is not being used (I would be the
first to admit that I have no evidence for this claim!).  My argument
(and my ego :-)) do not depend on this supposition.

>    It seems natural to believe the USSR uses slave labor wherever  it
>can,  including on the pipeline.  It's a side issue from the viewpoint
>of arms control, but not when we model ideal societies.  I don't  feel
>a  need  to "prove" such specifics to people emotionally involved with
>believing the opposite.  Patterns of  behavior  and  close  precedents
>suffice.   That's not ideological - there are nations and regimes with
>recent histories of cruel behavior, left and right.  That's  no  great
>revelation.

   To whom is this addressed?  To me?  I have no "emotional involvement
with believing the opposite."
   The problem is that it "seems natural to believe" all sorts of crazy
things to all sorts of people.  If you hope (as I presume you do, otherwise
what is the point of the discussion?) to convince people that the things
you believe are true, you must have evidence!  Do you question this?

>    (Admittedly,  if  someone  accused  the  Swedish   government   of
>deliberate  brutality  as  national  policy, I'd want to see extensive
>evidence, since it flies in the face of all  other  information  about
>that  country.   But  is  it  difficult to believe nasty things happen
>routinely in South Africa, Paraguay, even the USSR?  If you were  told
>that  Indonesian troops slaughter Timorese, would it amaze you?  Would
>you require proof before giving the report any credence?)

   YES!  YES!  YES!  I *would* require proof!!  This is the essence of
the point I am trying to make.  Intelligent discussion requires evidence.
   In my mind this is closly connected with the discussion of censorship.
You are probably (I don't mean this as an insult) in the group that favors
censorship of people who make demonstrably false statements.  I prefer
simply to allow people to offer documentary evidence for their assertions,
and then to judge their statements on the basis of this evidence (rather
than allowing the state to judge what is permitted).

>    I  suspect  you  wrote  your message merely to make Ron Rizzo feel
>like shit.  If that's important to you, go right  ahead,  little  boy.

   I find your "suspicion" extremely offensive.  Ron Rizzo posts an article
making certain "claims."  I post a reply pointing out to him and to other
readers that he has no real evidence for his claims.  What is your problem
with this??
   I suspect that *you* are the one with the "emotional involvement" in
believing certain things.  Nothing else can explain your incredibly hostile
tone in response to my perfectly valid and clearly stated objections.

>	    But don't call it debating - merely baiting.

   You seem to be the one who has abandoned debate in favor of ad hominem
attacks.  God knows why.

   -- David desJardins