[net.politics] On dissent and criticism.

dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) (03/12/86)

[]

>   I get sick and tired of idiots who insist that because I *DARE* to
>criticize America, I am somehow aiding and abetting the "filthy commies".
>How *DARE* any of you denigrate me for
>exercising my right and responsibility to dissent, when I see things that
>are wrong!!??!!

Some people dare because they get a little testy when something associated
with them (like America if they happen to be Americans) is disparaged.
Particularily, when they feel it is not deserved.  You denigrate them;
they denigrate you.

You have the right to dissent and criticize, but you are not safe from it
either.  Further, people are not obliged to accept it.  If you throw sh*t
into a fan, don't be too surprised if some of it comes back and hits you
in the face. ;-)

>tom keller
>{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

David Olson
..!ihnp4!drutx!dlo

"To laugh at men of sense is the privilege of fools". -- Jean de la Bruyere

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/16/86)

In article <258@drutx.UUCP>, dlo@drutx.UUCP (OlsonDL) writes:
> []
>
> >   I get sick and tired of idiots who insist that because I *DARE* to
> >criticize America, I am somehow aiding and abetting the "filthy commies".
> >How *DARE* any of you denigrate me for
> >exercising my right and responsibility to dissent, when I see things that
> >are wrong!!??!!
>
> Some people dare because they get a little testy when something associated
> with them (like America if they happen to be Americans) is disparaged.
> Particularily, when they feel it is not deserved.  You denigrate them;
> they denigrate you.

   Come off it.  All some of the people who are being accused of "communist
sympthies" have done is express distatse and concern over certain American
policies.  Granted, there are fanatic assholes who believe that any form of
criticism is an attack aimed at total destruction.  But really, *I* am every
bit as much an American as they are, regardless of whether or not they see it
that way.  In fact, I am a *BETTER* American than they are...because I truly
believe in and support freedom...not just the freedom to agree with me.
I detest the KKK, the Nazis, the John Birch Society, and any number of other
groups.  I do not attempt to deny them the right to exist, to express their
views, or to gather.  The people to whom we are referring here *DO* attempt
to interfere with the rights of those with whom they disagree.

   Red-baiting is an old tactic.  Joe McCarthy used it quite well, and nearly
destroyed this nation with it.  These people you claim are getting a bit
"testy" remind me a great deal of Joe.  I maintain that they are committing
a wrongful act in labeling persons who dissent as "communists", "communist
sympathizers", or otherwise "enemies of the U.S.".  THEY are the ones who
are a threat to freedom, not we!

> You have the right to dissent and criticize, but you are not safe from it
> either.  Further, people are not obliged to accept it.  If you throw sh*t
> into a fan, don't be too surprised if some of it comes back and hits you
> in the face. ;-)

   If people wish to take issue with my political statements and opinions,
they are more than welcome to.  I enjoy a good knowckdown, dragout political
argument.  But to accuse me of treason, simply because I criticize, is out
of bounds.

--

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)