[net.politics] Presidents compared: re to Cramer

orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) (03/21/86)

> > In article <611@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP writes:
> >
> > >I think Reagan is the best President I can remember.  (I would say he is
> > >doing a mediocre to fair job.)
> >
> >     I think your memory may be going bad. Have you seen a neurologist lately?
> >
> > ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
>
> The Presidents I remember:
>
> 1. Johnson: a scheming, lying warmonger -- who wasn't even very good at
> fighting a war.
     Who also got the Civil Rights Act passed, the Voting Rights Act
     passed, who enacted programs which reduced poverty by a substantial
     amount, who increased aid to education so that people like me
     could afford to go to college

     Reagan: a scheming, lying warmonger -- who is determined to continue
     his War in Central America at all costs and regardless of strong
     public opposition, who has never supported a single arms control
     agreement and contemplates dismantling those negotiated by his
     Republican and Democratic predecessors, who has doubled the
     military budget in Peacetime for military contractors profits.
     Who also opposed the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act,
     and is currently trying to gut them in every way he can.
     Who also wishes to totally eliminate student loans and financial
     aid for those less-affluent, while proposing to spend billions
     to subsidize Christian fundamentalist schools.
     Who has presided over the largest increase in poverty in 20 years.

> 2. Nixon: a dishonest leftist (remember wage & price controls?) who engaged
> in political repression (remember the Enemies' List?) and because of his
> unwillingness to resign when Watergate started to consume all of his and
> Congress' time, played a role in the takeover of South Vietnam and Cambodia
> by the Communists.
     Who at least had the sense to see that Nuclear War was not a joke
     and negotiated several arms control agreements which have helped
     deter the nuclear arms race to some extent.
     To call Nixon a "leftist" however, must be a JOKE!

     Reagan: a far-right extremist who has appointed a Secretary of
     the Interior who claimed that his selloff of the National Forests
     was to show God upon his imminent return that we had been
     "good stewards" by chopping down every woods in sight.
     Whose Attorney General has claimed the Bill of Rights does not
     apply to the States and that we should return to the jurisprudence
     of the days of slavery as a standard for modern justice.
     Who is at this very time forcing people in government to take
     lie detector tests for no reason, whose Attorney General,
     reflecting his views, supports a federal mandate that all
     federal employees take drug tests, moreover that all companies
     with federal contracts be forced to give their employees
     drug tests.

Surely you must jest!
     tim sevener   whuxn!orb