[net.politics] Shopping Malls, Free Speech, TV

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (03/21/86)

In article <1048@whuxl.UUCP> orb@whuxl.UUCP (SEVENER) writes:

>What most disappoints me personally is the many "libertarians"
>on the net who seem totally unwilling to support civil liberties
>when it comes down to the crunch.  That should be informative.

I wonder how the "libertarians" would feel about the following approach
to Free Speech.

Some one such as Sevener or his opponents makes a video tape wherein he
disucsses his political views. He buys a cheep power amplifier. He sets
his VCR to Channel 3 or 4, which ever carries Monday night football. During
the ads on the football game, he plays his tape  out through his VCR,
amplifier, and antenna. A reaonable number of the TV viewers in his vicinity
would see his political pitch instead of the commercial.

Clearly this is illegal and the FCC would soon be after him. But would not
the "libertarian" approach to government say that he should be allowed to
make such a broadcast without interference from the government.

Richard Foy, Redondo Beach, CA
The opinions I have expressed are the result of many years in the school of
hard knocks. Thus they are my own.