[net.politics] Slave labor built Siberian pipeline

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (02/25/86)

A while ago, Oded Feingold said that the Soviet segment of the
trans-Siberian petroleum pipeline was built in the early 1980s
with slave labor from the concentration camps of the Gulag.

I've found sources for this claim.  In "How Democracies Fail"
(Doubleday, 1983), Jean-Francois Revel says:

	....it occurred to the Sakharov Committee, the Frankfurt
	Association for the Defense of Human Rights, a few labor
	leaders and a handful of journalists to point out that
	much of the labor used in building the pipeline was
	probably slave labor from the gulags, in keeping with a
	long-standing Communist tradition in big works projects.

	[ page 140 ]

The French Government sent its ambassador in Moscow to go to
Siberia to "investigate" the matter.  But

	When we remember that diplomats assigned to Moscow can
	travel only to strictly defined areas, we can guess how
	much leeway the French ambassador was given to conduct
	his "investigation," which, needless to say, died at
	birth.  [ 140 ]

"L'Humanite," the newspaper of the French Communist Party, dispatched
"one of its own notoriously independent and impartial reporters to
Siberia," whose published report claimed not only that the pipeline
workers were there voluntarily, but displayed great enthusiasm, and
received high wages.

Finally,

	In "The First Guidebook to U.S.S.R. Prisons and Concentration
	Camps," Avraham Shifrin superimposed the pipeline route with
	wonderful precision on a map of the camps.  [ 141 ]

					Regards,

					Ron Rizzo

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (02/27/86)

In article <1720@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>A while ago, Oded Feingold said that the Soviet segment of the
>trans-Siberian petroleum pipeline was built in the early 1980s
>with slave labor from the concentration camps of the Gulag.
>
>I've found sources for this claim.

   I have this nasty feeling as I read this that you must be joking,
and I have missed all of the :-).  If this was a joke and I missed the
point feel free to flame at me for my stupidity...

>In "How Democracies Fail" (Doubleday, 1983), Jean-Francois Revel says:
>
>	....it occurred to the Sakharov Committee, the Frankfurt
>	Association for the Defense of Human Rights, a few labor
>	leaders and a handful of journalists to point out that
>	much of the labor used in building the pipeline was
>	probably slave labor from the gulags, in keeping with a
>	long-standing Communist tradition in big works projects.
>
>	[ page 140 ]

   No evidence here, just unsupported speculation by ardent
anti-Soviets.

>The French Government sent its ambassador in Moscow to go to
>Siberia to "investigate" the matter.  But
>
>	When we remember that diplomats assigned to Moscow can
>	travel only to strictly defined areas, we can guess how
>	much leeway the French ambassador was given to conduct
>	his "investigation," which, needless to say, died at
>	birth.  [ 140 ]

   In other words, no evidence here either.

>"L'Humanite," the newspaper of the French Communist Party, dispatched
>"one of its own notoriously independent and impartial reporters to
>Siberia," whose published report claimed not only that the pipeline
>workers were there voluntarily, but displayed great enthusiasm, and
>received high wages.

   And we all know that if those nasty Communists say one thing the
opposite must be true...

>Finally,
>
>	In "The First Guidebook to U.S.S.R. Prisons and Concentration
>	Camps," Avraham Shifrin superimposed the pipeline route with
>	wonderful precision on a map of the camps.  [ 141 ]

   So at last we have the evidence.  Did he happen by any chance to
superimpose either of these with railroad maps?  I'll bet they match
with "wonderful precision."  Or does the fact that the camps are near
the rail lines mean that the prisoners were forced to build those too? :-)

   -- David desJardins

lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) (03/01/86)

In article <1720@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:

>	....it occurred to the Sakharov Committee, the Frankfurt
>	Association for the Defense of Human Rights, a few labor
>	leaders and a handful of journalists to point out that
>	much of the labor used in building the pipeline was
>	probably slave labor from the gulags, in keeping with a
>	long-standing Communist tradition in big works projects.

Please don't forget the long-standing tradition in the American South
of using forced prison labor on road-building projects, as well as on
private property, where the owner leases these workers from the state.

Isn't this the same sort of slavery we criticize the Soviets for?

--
larry kolodney (The Devil's Advocate)

UUCP: ...{ihnp4, decvax!genrad}!mit-eddie!lkk

ARPA: lkk@mit-mc

sykora@csd2.UUCP (Michael Sykora) (03/02/86)

>/* lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) /  7:52 pm  Feb 28, 1986 */

>Please don't forget the long-standing tradition in the American South
>of using forced prison labor on road-building projects, as well as on
>private property, where the owner leases these workers from the state.

Provided it is not accompanied by cruel treatment of prisoners, this is
an excellent way of getting prisoners to compensate their victims.
After they had worked a sufficient amount of time, they should be
released.

>Isn't this the same sort of slavery we criticize the Soviets for?

Hardly.  In the Soviet Union being a slave to the state is a birthrite,
here, at least in theory, one must earn it.

>larry kolodney (The Devil's Advocate)

Mike Sykora

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (03/05/86)

Where's the evidence?  cries David Desjardins.

Nit:

According to Webster's (WNCD9), evidence: "an outward sign" or "indication,"
"something that furnishes proof," "something legally submitted to a tribunal
to ascertain the truth of the matter."

I offered only "sources" for a "claim," ie, the identification of those who
made the claim (granted, the word "sources" is ambiguous).  However, the fact
the sources pointed to, ie, Communist use of slave labor in big works projects
(from the construction of Moscow high-rises, some of which stand on the sites
of former camps whose inmates built them, to the digging of the infamous White
Sea canal), is an outward sign, or indication, of the possible truth of the
claim that zeks built the pipeline, something that can be taken in at least
partial evidence of the claim.

Substance:

From the intensity & length of David's message, I'd say he has a strong
desire to examine any evidence.  Well, there's a place to look (& it's a
fairly obvious one): the NYTimes Index during the 1980s (when the pipe-
line was built), since the Times dispatched reporters to investigate
and they published articles.

I'd do it myself & post the results if I had the time.  But at least
Oded Feingold & I raised the issue, and interested parties can pursue
the matter further, that is, if they're really interested at all.

						Regards,
						Ron Rizzo

simon@simon_pc.UUCP (Simon Shapiro) (03/05/86)

It is amusing to me the naive newcomer to this network how easily american
citizens will condemn their government, while forgiving/forgetting/ignoring
everything a superpower bent on destroying them and the vry principles
they operate on is doing.

Simon.

rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Floyd Hydrozoan) (03/10/86)

In article <1122@mit-eddie.UUCP> lkk@eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) writes:
>In article <1720@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>>
>>	much of the labor used in building the pipeline was
>>	probably slave labor from the gulags, in keeping with a
>>	long-standing Communist tradition in big works projects.
>
>Please don't forget the long-standing tradition in the American South
>of using forced prison labor on road-building projects, as well as on
>Isn't this the same sort of slavery we criticize the Soviets for?

Sure!  It will be just as soon as we make it illegal to be a Jew, or
a dissident (You don't like the administration's policy on Nicaragua?
Off to the road crew, scum!), or make it illegal to fall out of favor
with the party.

gdf@mtuxn.UUCP (G.FERRAIOLO) (03/10/86)

>It is amusing to me the naive newcomer to this network how easily american
>citizens will condemn their government, while forgiving/forgetting/ignoring
>everything a superpower bent on destroying them and the vry principles
>they operate on is doing.
>
>Simon.

Keep reading, Simon.  This is the funniest newsgroup going.  Forget net.jokes,
this is the place!

Guy

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/12/86)

In article <542@ihdev.UUCP>, rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Floyd Hydrozoan) writes:
> In article <1122@mit-eddie.UUCP> lkk@eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) writes:
> >Isn't this the same sort of slavery we criticize the Soviets for?
>
> Sure!  It will be just as soon as we make it illegal to be a Jew, or
> a dissident (You don't like the administration's policy on Nicaragua?
> Off to the road crew, scum!), or make it illegal to fall out of favor
> with the party.

   Or *FUNCTIONALLY* illegal to be non-white!  Come now, Floyd, do you honestly
expect us to believe that the inordinately high percentage of Black inmates
in southern (or northern, for that matter) jails is simply because blacks are
more likely to commit crimes?  Granted, the Soviets carry their situation
to greater extremes, but the principals are the same!

   While visiting in North Carolina several years ago, I became involved in a
discussion of the racism issue.  A young black woman pointed out to me that
she would rather live in the south.  She argued that while the "north" pays
much lip service to equality, the fact is that racism is just as prevalent,
we just lie about it, and keep it covered up.  IN the south, she said, at
least she KNEW where people were coming from.  If you were going to be hassled
for being non-white, it would be done openly and honestly.

   I don't know if I agree with her completely, but being white, I don't find
my reluctance particularly amazing, especially as I am from northern California,
home of California Liberalism.  I have this nagging suspicion, however, that
she is correct.

   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
do, to some extent or another.

--

====================================

Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.

tom keller
{ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020

(* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu (Tom Tedrick) (03/14/86)

>   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
>to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
>own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
>do, to some extent or another.

Uh, how about leaving the country. As far as I know I can walk
across the border without any interference.

(The people on the other side might not let me in though :-)

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/14/86)

> In article <542@ihdev.UUCP>, rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Floyd Hydrozoan) writes:
> > In article <1122@mit-eddie.UUCP> lkk@eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) writes:
> > >Isn't this the same sort of slavery we criticize the Soviets for?
> >
> > Sure!  It will be just as soon as we make it illegal to be a Jew, or
> > a dissident (You don't like the administration's policy on Nicaragua?
> > Off to the road crew, scum!), or make it illegal to fall out of favor
> > with the party.
>
>    Or *FUNCTIONALLY* illegal to be non-white!  Come now, Floyd, do you honestly
> expect us to believe that the inordinately high percentage of Black inmates
> in southern (or northern, for that matter) jails is simply because blacks are
> more likely to commit crimes?  Granted, the Soviets carry their situation
> to greater extremes, but the principals are the same!

I don't find it surprising that blacks have historically received rougher
sentences in this country because of racism.  I don't doubt that it still
happens, although to a lesser extent.  However, the one thing which is
indisputably clear is that blacks commit a disproportionate number of the
crimes in this country (mostly against other blacks).  We can argue about
the reasons for this all day long -- but suggesting that the high percentage
of blacks in jails and prisons is racism, not a reflection of crime incidence
is just plain absurd.

>    While visiting in North Carolina several years ago, I became involved in a
> discussion of the racism issue.  A young black woman pointed out to me that
> she would rather live in the south.  She argued that while the "north" pays
> much lip service to equality, the fact is that racism is just as prevalent,
> we just lie about it, and keep it covered up.  IN the south, she said, at
> least she KNEW where people were coming from.  If you were going to be hassled
> for being non-white, it would be done openly and honestly.
>
>    I don't know if I agree with her completely, but being white, I don't find
> my reluctance particularly amazing, especially as I am from northern California,
> home of California Liberalism.  I have this nagging suspicion, however, that
> she is correct.
>
>    IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
> to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
> own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
> do, to some extent or another.
>
> --
>
> ====================================
>
> Disclaimer:  I hereby disclaim any and all responsibility for disclaimers.
>
> tom keller
> {ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!gilbbs!mc68020
>
> (* we may not be big, but we're small! *)

How many American prisoners of war were sent to prison camps after World War
II out of fear that they might have been exposed to Western ideas?  How many
American prisoners of war had to be returned by force to America?  Before
you try to claim that these sort of things didn't happen to Soviet soldiers,
I have a friend who remembers seeing it happen at the end of war -- Soviet
POWs begging the Germans to hide them from their countrymen.

America isn't perfect, and especially in the past, the government and the
society's treatment of minorities has been really abysmal, but claims like
the one in your last paragraph are utterly WRONG.

Tom, you are shockingly ignorant of history.

mahoney@bartok.DEC (03/15/86)

---------------------Reply to mail dated 12-MAR-1986 18:53---------------------

>   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
>to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
>own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
>do, to some extent or another.

    Mr Keller I take great execption to this.  Tell me the last person who
was internally exiled in the US without a trial.  Tell me the last person
who disappeared without a trace in the US because of a government order to
make them disappear.  How many people are placed in Mental wards because
they disagree with the state.  Tell me what happens to people who decide to
emigrate from the US?

   There is a major difference besides extremes between the US and Soviet
Union.  The US constitution guarentees basic human rights.  There are bounds
on what the US government can and can not do. These bounds do not exist in
the Soviet Union and never have. There is freedom in the US there is no
freedom in the Soviet Union it is as simple as that.

   (on dealing with other nations I tend to agree.  but I have yet to
    see what happened in the Phillipeans happen in a client state of
    the Soviet Union)

   Brian Mahoney

matthews@harvard.UUCP (Jim Matthews) (03/16/86)

In article <71@gilbbs.UUCP> mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) writes:

>   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
>to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
>own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
>do, to some extent or another.

	Yup, Tom, the Ministry of Truth was right: Freedom is Slavery.

Jim Matthews
matthews@harvard

vanzandt@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (03/16/86)

degree":

 Oh come on! Dont be ridiculous. Keep such looney tune statements in the
Pravda. Trying to draw an analogy between habitual criminals who happen
to be black and Soviet Gulag prisoners is fantastic. If there are more
blacks in prisons these days, at least try to place the blame on a
reasonable hypothesis (like More Blacks live in Poverty, Poverty breeds
crime, Criminals end up in jail, QED more blacks are in jail) not that
the US has a determined policy of Black civil repression.

 Note: My conclusion does not rest solely upon its premises, I realize
this. It could be that an equal number of white and black suspects
appear before the courts and the juries are selectively forcing the
black cases to be convictions. If this were so, it calls for an
examination of the people, the citizenry of our society - not our
Administration or legislation. It is a jury of peers that condems these
people - not a government institution. I would venture also, that the
juries sending away the suspects are, on the average, racially balanced.

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/16/86)

In article <1685@decwrl.DEC.COM>, mahoney@bartok.DEC writes:
> >   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
> >to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
> >own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
> >do, to some extent or another.
>     Mr Keller I take great execption to this.  Tell me the last person who
> was internally exiled in the US without a trial.  Tell me the last person
> who disappeared without a trace in the US because of a government order to
> make them disappear.  How many people are placed in Mental wards because
> they disagree with the state.  Tell me what happens to people who decide to
> emigrate from the US?

   I wish I had the references here, but I don't, so I am going to approach this
in a dangerous fashion:  1)  no internal exile or disappearances that I know of
have occurred.  People may choose to emigrate from this nation at will (with
certain minor exceptions, in terms of destination).  HOWEVER:  it is quite well
documented that many people wind up in mental institutions because they
"disagree with the state".  NO, not as many as in Russia.  No, they are most
likely not treated as badly (then again, I **KNOW** certain things about the
way some mental institutions are run...EC "therapy" used as a threat, to insure
specified behavious patterns, etc.).

>    There is a major difference besides extremes between the US and Soviet
> Union.  The US constitution guarentees basic human rights.  There are bounds
> on what the US government can and can not do. These bounds do not exist in
> the Soviet Union and never have. There is freedom in the US there is no
> freedom in the Soviet Union it is as simple as that.

   Yes, there are bounds to what the US govenrment can do.  Check out the recent
activities of the Reagan adminsitration, openly aimed at reducing those bounds.

>    (on dealing with other nations I tend to agree.  but I have yet to
>     see what happened in the Phillipeans happen in a client state of
>     the Soviet Union)

   Good point.  I should have mode my statement more clear, I *DID* mean to
refer to foriegn affairs actions, I simply failed to clarfiy my intent.
Another good score on the Phillipines issue.  True enough, no Soviet client
state that I am aware of has similarly achieved "liberation".

>    Brian Mahoney

    However, I have said this som many times before, and I will continue to say
it:  I don't **CARE** what the Soviets, or the Chinese Communists, or anyone
else on this planet does.  *I* am only responsible for what *MY* country does,
as I only have the power to affect my countrys policies (through my vote, and
through my freedom and responsibility to lobby).

   As I have stated before:  I believe that no other nation on the face of the
earth has a better system of governance that the U.S. does.  In general, I am
proud to be an American.  At times, I am deeply shamed to be an American.
I insist that as an American, it is my duty to dissent, when I see my nation
involved in questionable or dangerous activities or policies.

   Lastly, I dislike seeing arguments tot he effect that I have failed to
critisize the "bad guys".  What good would it do me?  Moreover, somehow, such
arguments sound amazingly like the young child who cries "But Molly did it too!"
when caught and punished.  (yes, I **KNOW** I made this same statement in an
article posted last night...maybe it bears repeating)

--

====================================

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (03/17/86)

------------------
> [Clayton Cramer]
> How many American prisoners of war were sent to prison camps after World War
> II out of fear that they might have been exposed to Western ideas?  How many
> American prisoners of war had to be returned by force to America?  Before
> you try to claim that these sort of things didn't happen to Soviet soldiers,
> I have a friend who remembers seeing it happen at the end of war -- Soviet
> POWs begging the Germans to hide them from their countrymen.
>
> America isn't perfect, and especially in the past, the government and the
> society's treatment of minorities has been really abysmal, but claims like
> the one in your last paragraph are utterly WRONG.
>
> Tom, you are shockingly ignorant of history.
-----------------
Clayton actually understates the situation.  Many returning Russian POWs
were killed by Stalin's orders.  He was paranoid about the presence of
German collaborators and/or Western agents in the returning POWs.
	Actually, there WERE a reasonable number of collaborators among the
POWs.  To make sure he got them, Stalin killed or imprisoned most (perhaps
nearly all) returning POWs.
	    Tom, you are shockingly ignorant of history.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

lkk@mit-eddie.UUCP (03/18/86)

In article <609@kontron.UUCP> cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>I don't find it surprising that blacks have historically received rougher
>sentences in this country because of racism.  I don't doubt that it still
>happens, although to a lesser extent.  However, the one thing which is
>indisputably clear is that blacks commit a disproportionate number of the
>crimes in this country (mostly against other blacks).  We can argue about
>the reasons for this all day long -- but suggesting that the high percentage
>of blacks in jails and prisons is racism, not a reflection of crime incidence
>is just plain absurd.

The real prison problem in this country is that most Blacks are
born into prison.  A prison called the Ghetto.

--

berman@psuvax1.UUCP (Piotr Berman) (03/19/86)

> >IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
> >to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
> >own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
> >do, to some extent or another.
> >
>     Mr Keller I take great execption to this.  Tell me the last person who
> was internally exiled in the US without a trial.  Tell me the last person
> who disappeared without a trace in the US because of a government order to
> make them disappear.  How many people are placed in Mental wards because
> they disagree with the state.  Tell me what happens to people who decide to
> emigrate from the US?
>
>    There is a major difference besides extremes between the US and Soviet
> Union.  The US constitution guarentees basic human rights.  There are bounds
> on what the US government can and can not do. These bounds do not exist in
> the Soviet Union and never have. There is freedom in the US there is no
> freedom in the Soviet Union it is as simple as that.
>
>    (on dealing with other nations I tend to agree.  but I have yet to
>     see what happened in the Phillipeans happen in a client state of
>     the Soviet Union)
>
>    Brian Mahoney

I think that the issue with slave labor in USSR was mixed up with the
labor of prisoners.  It is true that in any reasonable penal system
the prisoners have the possibility to work, and that in many democratic
countries hard labor was an acceptable form of punishment.  One needs
to ask a question 'Are there state slaves in USSR?'.  According to
published documentation of human right groups, the answer is affirmative.
There is a group of political prisoners whith very long sentences and
which are propmtly encarcerated after each release.  Most often they
are Ukrainian nationalist.  Basically, they are slaves till the end
of their lives.  However, to my recollection, the camps which 'specialize'
nowadays in this kind of prisoners were far from the pipeline (in Mordovia
and in Perm district).

Second point to consider is harsh sentencing of petty criminals to create
more than million strong army of free laborers.  Very often they are
victims of massive 'campains' (like the recent campain agains alcoholism),
and, having legal system rather unfair, their 'crimes' are not proven
up to our standarts.  If those people would be considered 'slaves',
then there is a very good bet that some of them work for the pipeline.
On the other hand, in US one could find similar abuses, although on
many times smaller scale.

Third point to consider is the way the prisoners are forced to work.
In general, the nutrition in Soviet prison is poor (I think it would
qualify for a 'cruel punishment' in US).  If you do not work, you
get a ration substancially smaller.  Thus the prisoners work is enforced
by hunger, and as such it could qualify as 'slave work'.

Fourth point to consider is involuntary work.  In USSR you may be assigned
to live in a city chosen by the government, or to work for several years
in an assigned enterprise.  No crime is needed to get such a treatment.
Many remember perhaps that during Olimpics hundreds (or tens?) of
thousands of 'undesirables' were removed from Moscow.  Whenever you
live, you must work for a state enterprise.  This kind of labor has
'slave' elements, and is widely used.

Recapitulating, USSR has very few slaves resembling American slaves
in pre-1865 South, but it has some.  Additionally, it uses forced
labor on the scale unknown in the Western counties.

As 'advocate of the devil' I will point the following example.
Recently 'our friendly' Egypt experience a revolt of conscript
policemen.  The description of their conditions resembled very much
temporary slavery...

Piotr Berman

mc68020@gilbbs.UUCP (Tom Keller) (03/19/86)

   I am *NOT* shockingly unaware of history.

   What I am is shockingly careless in expressing myself.  I incorrectly
assumed that the general topic of "foreign affairs" qualified my statement
as being related to that topic.  I made a serious error in my argument,
one which in fact I would have pointed out to an opponent.

   What I had intended to say was that I see little difference, except in
degree, between the foreign policies of the Soviets and the foreign policies
of the United States.

   Besides, we were speaking of contemporary events, not semi-ancient history.
Never the less, the error was mine, I accept full responsibility for it, and
apologize to any who might have been upset or inconvenienced by it.

--

====================================

rb@ccivax.UUCP (03/19/86)

In article <542@ihdev.UUCP> rastaman@ihdev.UUCP (Floyd Hydrozoan) writes:
>In article <1122@mit-eddie.UUCP> lkk@eddie.UUCP (Larry Kolodney) writes:
>>In article <1720@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>>>
>>>	much of the labor used in building the pipeline was
>>>	probably slave labor from the gulags, in keeping with a
>>>	long-standing Communist tradition in big works projects.
>>
>>Please don't forget the long-standing tradition in the American South
>>of using forced prison labor on road-building projects, as well as on
>>Isn't this the same sort of slavery we criticize the Soviets for?
>
>Sure!  It will be just as soon as we make it illegal to be a Jew, or
>a dissident (You don't like the administration's policy on Nicaragua?
>Off to the road crew, scum!), or make it illegal to fall out of favor
>with the party.

Oh, we're much more sophisticated than that.  We simply use
"blacklists", and various racist, political,economic,... techniques to
make crimes more "justifiable" to the oppressed groups.  Then we make
laws that almost anyone can violate.  THEN we can put those
undesirables into prison labor camps. If you are carrying a wrench in
Texas, you can go to jail (See "Trenton Pickle Ordinance"), but don't
worry, that's only enforced for wetbacks.  Oh, by the way, your
"public defender" has a hangover so you'll have to defend yourself.

This doesn't mean the U.S.S.R. is right, just that we're not perfect.

The favorite "human rights" issue of the U.S.S.R. is what we do to
"Indians" (native americans on reservations).  None of their allogations
has been investigated (they are "local" problems).

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (03/19/86)

In article <12366@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
>>to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
>>own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
>>do, to some extent or another.
>
>Uh, how about leaving the country. As far as I know I can walk
>across the border without any interference.
>
>(The people on the other side might not let me in though :-)

	It has indeed happened that the US Government has revoked a
citizen's passport because they wanted to prevent that citizen from
carrying out his planned activities outside the country.

--
					--MKR

"The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time. The
 terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of consistency."
						- Albert Einstein

desj@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (David desJardins) (03/23/86)

In article <642@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:
>In article <12366@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP
>(Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>
>>Uh, how about leaving the country. As far as I know I can walk
>>across the border without any interference.
>>
>>(The people on the other side might not let me in though :-)
>
>	It has indeed happened that the US Government has revoked a
>citizen's passport because they wanted to prevent that citizen from
>carrying out his planned activities outside the country.

   One does not need a passport to leave the country.  Other countries
may require that you have a passport to enter them.  Note that this is
exactly what Tom says above.

   -- David desJardins

tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu (Tom Tedrick) (03/23/86)

In article <642@mmm.UUCP> mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) writes:
>In article <12366@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
>>>   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
>>>to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
>>>own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
>>>do, to some extent or another.
>>
>>Uh, how about leaving the country. As far as I know I can walk
>>across the border without any interference.
>>
>>(The people on the other side might not let me in though :-)
>
>	It has indeed happened that the US Government has revoked a
>citizen's passport because they wanted to prevent that citizen from
>carrying out his planned activities outside the country.

Sorry to quibble about a small point, but the last few times
I have left the country, no US government officials have
checked my passport (maybe the airlines do, but that is
because they want to make sure they don't have to give you
a free return flight if the place you are going won't let
you in). It is only when I came back that it was checked.
My point wasn't about passports, it was about walking across
the border, which I have personally done a number of times.
I suppose you could find examples where they stopped people
from doing that though.

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (03/24/86)

> In article <12366@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> tedrick@ernie.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Tom Tedrick) writes:
> >>   IN any case, thh whole point here is that while the Soviets may take things
> >>to greater extremes, I cannot think of anything that the Soviets do, to their
> >>own citizens, as well as to other nations, that we ourselves in the US do not
> >>do, to some extent or another.
> >
> >Uh, how about leaving the country. As far as I know I can walk
> >across the border without any interference.
> >
> >(The people on the other side might not let me in though :-)
>
> 	It has indeed happened that the US Government has revoked a
> citizen's passport because they wanted to prevent that citizen from
> carrying out his planned activities outside the country.

That sort of abuse has been stopped (I hope).  But the whole population
isn't prevented from leaving.