[net.politics] Infant Mortality and poverty

radford@calgary.UUCP (Radford Neal) (03/25/86)

Tom Keller writes:

> Radford Neal writes:

> > By what possible
> > standard can the majority of the children in one of the richest
> > countries in the world be poor? ...
>
>    I suggest that you look up the statistics on infant mortality in the
> world.  The U.S. is currently running well behind several well developed,
> highly progressive nations such as Singapore and Thailand.  So much for the
> effects of being a "citizen" of one of the wealthiest nations on earth.  You
> conveniently fail to note that by far the *VAST* majority of the wealth in
> this nation is owned and controlled by a very few people.  The wealth of the
> nation isn't in question.  The poverty of a very large segment of our
> population is.

I've now looked up the actual infant mortality rates for the US and some other
countries. The figures are:

        Infant deaths per 1000 in the first year:

	Sweden		7
	Japan		8
	US		13
	New Zealand	14

	Singapore	13
	Jamaica		16
	Cuba		19
	Trinidad & Tob.	24

	USSR		36

	Saudi Arabia	118
	Qatar		138

	Sri Lanka	42
	Bangladesh	136
	Angola		192

These figures are for approximately 1979. They come from "Infant Mortality
and the Health of Societies" by Kathleen Newland.

According to the above book, infant mortality is a good indicator of the
wealth of a country and of how equitably that wealth is distributed, since
it is affected by factors such as nutrition and sanitation as well as medical
facilities. Below a rate of about 15, however, specific medical procedures
become more important than overall societal factors.

These figures provide little evidence of widespread poverty in the US. Indeed,
they show that by world standards there cannot be any large number of severely
poor children in the US. The rate for blacks is about twice that for whites,
however, confirming their continued lower position, though they're by no means
badly off by world standards.

The "Brittanica Book of the Year, 1985" claims that the US rate has since
declined to 11 in 1981.

The frequent claims by Marxist states to have greatly helped the health of the
people are contradicted by these figures (e.g. compare Jamaica and Cuba, look
at the USSR).

Singapore's rate may well be lower than the US's for some year(s). It's clear
from the figures that this says more about Singapore than about the US. Sri
Lanka is clearly also due for congradulation - it's per capita income is very
low. I don't have figures for Thailand.

I think this conclusively proves my point that saying the majority of US
children are poor is nonsense. They aren't poor by world standards, and
obviously the *majority* can't be poor by relative standards.

    Radford Neal