[net.politics] The Presidents - Truman & bombing Japan

okunewck@gondor.UUCP (Philip E. OKunewick) (05/23/86)

In article <171@sci.UUCP> daver@sci.UUCP (Dave Rickel) writes:
>> Truman saved millions of lives, both American and Japanese, by dropping those
>> bombs.
>>

>Did he?  Someone told me (this is net.rumor, right?  so i can use third+ hand
>sources) that the Japanese had surrendered between the dropping of the first
>bomb and the dropping of the second.  And that, since they no longer had
>an embassy in the states, they used their friends and ours, the Soviets, to
>transmit their surrender.  And that the Soviets delayed telling Washington
>about the surrender until after the second bomb had been dropped.

...seems kind of ironic.
Wasn't there a similar delay on December 7, 1941?
One that caused large casualties among Americans?

Well, it's 45 years in the past now.  May it never happen again.

                                                        ---Duck