[net.politics] Small Nuclear Bombs

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (05/10/86)

In article <346@dg_rtp.UUCP> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) writes:

>> From: rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard)

>> Reguarding plutonium vs. water vapor risks, remember that it
>> only takes a few ounces of plutonium to trigger the fusion bomb.

>Ounces, schmounces.  Even the smallest thermonuclear weapon needs
>several *pounds* (not ounces) of plutonium to trigger fusion.  And most

>> Some tactical weapons (the very small ones) are very small, only 1 or
>> 2 Kilotons, enough to level a shopping center or (more likely)
>> an airport.  Their main advantage is that they are about the size
>> of a ping-pong ball and are therefore easy to deliver but hard
>> to shoot down.

>Holy Shit!  Excuse my french, but what planet did the bomb designer come
>from anyhow?  "Size of a ping-pong ball?" Just a supercritical mass of
>plutonium itself is about the size of a softball (or maybe a baseball,
>if a real genius of a designer is at work, maybe).  And that doesn't
>include the hardware to detonate it, nor space to keep it subcritical
>until use. Granted, tactical nukes can be the size, say, of a
>toaster.... but a *ping* *pong* *ball*?  Get real.  Maybe you haven't

    I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
        Fifty flippant frogs / Walked by on flippered feet
    And with their slime they made the time / Unnaturally fleet.

jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) (05/12/86)

>     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.

I used to wonder if an alloy of Uranium or Plutonium and a good neutron
source like Americanium would have a very small critical mass.  I have
a vague memory that very few known element are fissionable, apparently
the nucleous becomes increasingly stable after Plutonium (yes I know
that there are some incredibly short-lived nuclides up there, but I
thought the general trend is to stability).

In any case a "spiked" nuclear device would not have a long shelf life,
the rapid decay would mar those nice shiny surfaces.
--
		Yours in hair,
		Bear

jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) (05/14/86)

>     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.

Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.

				Jeff McQuinn just VAXing around

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (05/16/86)

In article <684@riccb.UUCP> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:
>>     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
>> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
>> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
>> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.
>
>Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
>life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.

The theoretical possibility is not for a californium bomb--we're mellow
remember--but for an xx-ium bomb where xx-ium has *very small* critical
mass and long enough half life to assemble the bomb.  There is the old
conjecture that elements around 124 or so in atomic number are part of
new stable range.  Maybe that may only mean a ten day half-life at best,
but the possibility is definitely there.

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

ran@ho95e.UUCP (RANeinast) (05/16/86)

>In article <684@riccb.UUCP> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:
>>>     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
>>> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
>>> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
>>> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.
>>
>>Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
>>life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.
>
>The theoretical possibility is not for a californium bomb--we're mellow
>remember--but for an xx-ium bomb where xx-ium has *very small* critical
>
>ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

Californium will work just fine, thank you.  I just looked it up
in the CRC handbook.  (Doesn't anybody uses references anymore?  Oh, yeah.
I forgot.  This is netnews.)

Just for comparisons sake, U-235 has a thermal neutron cross-section for fission
of 579.5 barns, and Pu-239's is 742.4 barns.  There are two isotopes
of Californium with large thermal neutron cross-sections for fission,
Cf-249 at 1735 barns and Cf-251 at 4000 (!) barns.  With such a large
cross-section, I suspect Cf-251 would make a quite small device.
And the half-lives?  Cf-249 has a half-live of 360 years, and Cf-251's
is 800 years, plenty long enough.

By the way, the quoted error bars on the Cf-251 were quite large
(about 25%).  This suggests to me that either they haven't made enough
of the stuff to measure it properly, or (more likely), the exact results
are classified (because they're using the stuff to make hand grenade
sized nuclear weapons).
--

". . . and shun the frumious Bandersnatch."
Robert Neinast (ihnp4!ho95c!ran)

ken@njitcccc.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (05/16/86)

In article <684@riccb.UUCP>, jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:
> Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
> life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.
Which californium? I have the half lives of 11 isotopes of
californium listed, from atomic weights 244 to 254. The half
lives vary from 25 minutes to 470 years.

--
Kenneth Ng: uucp(unreliable) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!njitcccc!ken
	    bitnet(prefered) ken@njitcccc.bitnet

New Jersey Institute of Technology
Computerized Conferencing and Communications Center
Newark, New Jersey 07102

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stan over me"
Number 5: "I need input"

gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith) (05/16/86)

In article <684@riccb.UUCP> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:

>>     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
>> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
>> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
>> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon. [Gene Smith]

>Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
>life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.

  Consider the following table of isotopes of Californium:
  Isotope    Half Life

  Cf 248     350 days
  Cf 249     360 years
  Cf 250      10 years
  Cf 251     800 years
  Cf 252     2.5 years

   Of these, Cf 248, Cf 249 and Cf 252 are all listed as having spontaneous
fission as one decay mode. Especially if the isotope in question was Cf 249
(I don't remember) the thing seems theoretically feasible.

ucbvax!brahms!gsmith    Gene Ward Smith/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720
          "There are no differences but differences of degree
            between degrees of difference and no difference"

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (05/16/86)

> >     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
> > is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
> > grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
> > hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.
> >

> Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
> life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.

Californium, symbol Cf, Atomic number 98, has the following isotopes:

At. weight		half life		decay mode
244			25 minutes		a, K
245			44 minutes		a, K
246			35.7 hours		a
247			2.4 hours		K
248			250 days		a
249			470 years		a
250			12 years		a
251			>>18 days		a
252			2.2 years		a
253			~20 days		B
254			55 days

a = alpha, B = beta, K = orbital capture

In any case, hardly microseconds.

jablow@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Eric Robert Jablow) (05/17/86)

Some man-made isotopes are both relatively stable and very useful in
non-martial processes.  For example, an isotope of americium (243?) is
used in almost all ionization-type smoke detectors.  That's why they
come with a warning not to throw them out, but to give old ones to your
fire department for proper disposal.

			Respectfully,
			Eric Robert Jablow
			MSRI
			ucbvax!brahms!jablow

jablow@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Eric Robert Jablow) (05/17/86)

Anyway, I thought nuclear hand grenades already existed.  Just ask Idi
Amin.  "The Israelis used nuclear hand grenades!"  Of course, the blast
radius would still be much larger than the throwing range, so ....

			Respectfully,
			Eric Robert Jablow
			MSRI
			ucbvax!brahms!jablow

g-rh@cca.UUCP (Richard Harter) (05/17/86)

In article <> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:
>>     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
>> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
>> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
>> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.
>>

>Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
>life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.

	Isotope #	Half Life

	Cf-249		360  years
	Cf-250		 13  years
	Cf-251		800  years
	Cf-252		2.65 years

"Californium-252, because 3 percent of its decay occurs by spontaneous
fission, is industrially and medically important as a very intense point
source of neutrons.  One microgram releases 170,000,000 neutrons per
minute."  -- Encyclopedia Brittannica, 1979.

	I suppose that ill-informed, foolish remarks do have some
merit -- they induce one to do a bit of reading to get the data to
refute them.

			Richard Harter, SMDS Inc.

ken@njitcccc.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (05/19/86)

In article <3484@hplabsb.UUCP>, bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:

> At. weight		half life		decay mode
> 251			>>18 days		a
I have 700 years for this isotope.
My material is somewhat dated though. Where might I ask
did you get your information from?  I'd like to update
my database.

--

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (05/19/86)

In article <3484@hplabsb.UUCP> bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:
>>> I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
>>> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
>>> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
>>> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.
>>Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
>>life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.
>Californium, symbol Cf, Atomic number 98, has the following isotopes:
>[...]
>In any case, hardly microseconds.

Egad, what a letter bomb that'd make! :-)

Seriously.. What kind of shielding would such a device require to handle it
"safely" (reduce radiation levels to something approximating the levels in
our Seattle rainwater)?? Could one still carry it?

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (05/22/86)

> In article <3484@hplabsb.UUCP>, bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) writes:
> >
> > At. weight		half life		decay mode
> > 251			>>18 days		a
> I have 700 years for this isotope.
> My material is somewhat dated though. Where might I ask
> did you get your information from?  I'd like to update
> my database.
You're material is probably more "up-to-date" than mine.  My info
is from CRC, 1963. I'm sure a lot more has been discovered in the
last 23 hears.  The 700 years is a probably a better figure.

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (05/22/86)

> gsmith@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Gene Ward Smith)
>> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop)
>>> rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard)

>>> Reguarding plutonium vs. water vapor risks, remember that it
>>> only takes a few ounces of plutonium to trigger the fusion bomb.

>>Ounces, schmounces.  Even the smallest thermonuclear weapon needs
>>several *pounds* (not ounces) of plutonium to trigger fusion.

>>> Some tactical weapons [...] are about the size
>>> of a ping-pong ball and are therefore easy to deliver but hard
>>> to shoot down.

>> "Size of a ping-pong ball?" Just a supercritical mass of
>>plutonium itself is about the size of a softball [...]
>>Granted, tactical nukes can be the size, say, of a
>>toaster.... but a *ping* *pong* *ball*?  Get real.

>     I was talking to an ex-LLL physicist once who told me that there
> is an isotope of Californium with a *very small* critical mass (a few
> grams, I think it was). This opened the theoretical possibility of a
> hand grenade sized nuclear weapon.

*First* of all, I was talking about plutonium.  *Second*, when somebody
says "theoretically", they mean "not really".  *Third*, a ping-pong ball
is quite a bit smaller than a hand grenade.  (Trust me... I've seen
both.)

There are several reasons to suppose that californium wouldn't make a
practical material for weapons production, among them the fact that
those with the smallest critical mass also have the greatest thermal
neutron production (and thus must be sheilded the most, and ought to
have short shelf-life due to neutron activation of the trigger).

Note that I agree that a multi-kiloton fission weapon *can* be made the
size of a ping-pong ball in *theory*.  It is merely far, far beyond
current engineering practice (well, I'm pretty sure it is).  In theory,
it is possible to make a multi-gigaton weapon that size (antimatter),
maybe even a planet-buster (anti-neutronium, or maybe
anti-just-short-of-black-holium).  Or let's get *really* freaky, several
unstable quantum black holes in a time-stassis.  Again, there is a
little matter of implementation...
--
Wayne Throop      <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

hoffman@hdsvx1.UUCP (05/23/86)

In article <684@riccb.UUCP> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:

>Californium, isn't that one of those wonderful man-made elements whose shelf
>life can be measured in microseconds? No wonder it's "theoretically" possible.

Actually, a lot of these "designer elements" have longer half-lives than you
might suspect.  We use them commercially to produce neutron and gamma sources,
and of course a decent longevity is a requirement.  We have considered the
use of Californium itself; Cf 249 has a half-life of 360 years and is happy
to spend them donating alpha particles to our cause, and occasionally
undergoing spontaneous fission.  Other isotopes of Cf have half-lives ranging
from fractions of seconds to more than 800 years!

DISCLAIMER: I have no idea which isotope we will REALLY use, or if we will
decide to use Cf at all.  The above information is offered just as an example
of the existence of commercially useful, long-lived artificial isotopes, and
should not be construed as any indication of my company's plans or intentions.

--Richard Hoffman / Schlumberger Well Services / hoffman%hdsvx1@slb-doll.csnet