[net.politics] Plutonium, Water, Tactical vs. Strategic

rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (05/02/86)

This article actually contains three parts.  The response to the main
question, "how can water vapor burn?",  a conservative worse case
scenario of what could happen, and a possible argument FOR small
tactical nuclear weapons.  Although much of this is political,
I am leaving it in net.sci so as to allow those who might have the
knowledge to refute some of the theories presented to do so.  If
my theories are wrong, please explain why, if the facts are wrong,
please give the facts.  I'm not a nuclear physicist (I can't even
spell it).  Most of my information comes from bits and pieces of
information given in the general press including UPI, NPR, and
network news, and various other general programs.

In article <13439@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> desj@brahms.UUCP (David desJardins) writes:
>In article <796@ccird2.UUCP> rb@ccird2.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:
>>>thousand pounds of plutonium.
>>
>>There are lots of other things to worry about....  Things like possible
>>ignition of water vapor in the atmosphere....
>
>   Water vapor is the *product* of combustion.  How could it be "ignited"??

Water vapor can be super-heated back into it's componant parts,
hydrogen and oxygen, which can be re-cumbusted.  The superheating
can be generated by a fusion reaction.  Under normal circumstances
and tests, there is a limited chain reaction.  This is why a nuclear
airburst of a 20 Kiloton bomb can wipe out a larger area than a ground
zero explosion.

When we begin to talk about 3000 20 Megaton bombs in nuclear airburst
configurations with targets spaced within a 200 mile radius of each
other, preferably on a cloudy day, we could see a "blanket effect" of
burning hydrogen/oxygen between the individual targets.  Some small
amount of hydrogen would be fused into helium, but more importantly,
anything under that "blanket" would be "cooked", possibly to the
melting point of steel, in a matter of seconds.   Current tactical
weapons (the small ones), leave craters in underground tests of up to 3
miles.  The same weapons above ground, could wipe out a 100 mile radius
in an airburst.  Strategic weapons (the big ones) could wipe out a 300
mile radius.

Of course, defensive nuclear weapons would try to stop offensive
ones before they reach their targets, probably over the atlantic
and pacific oceans, where there is lots of humidity.

In addition, the pressure of the heated gas, the ionized gases, and
changes in electromagnetic charges could expose much of the outer
atmosphere to solar winds, which would blow away the outer layer of the
atmosphere.  If enough ozone were lost, most surface creatures would
be exposed to excessive ultra-violet radiation, and at the same time
possibly extreme cold do to the loss of the heat retaining ionisphere.
This is great for plants, but not so good for mammals, I don't know
about reptiles and insects.

There is a possibility that if you were living in a nuclear submarine,
capable of producing oxygen from the ocean, and lived off the deep
sea for a few hundred years, you might be able to surface and return
to a somewhat normal life.  Of course, subs from the "other side"
would be hunting for you, and you would be hunting for them.  You
would also have to have both men and women aboard the subs to
perpetuate the species.  Civilization would tend to digress into
an almost ritualistic "religion" since few of the crew would
know why the technology aboard the sub worked, but instead only
knew how to keep it working.

Just as a mathmatical excercise, the 20 Kiloton bomb dropped
on Hirosima leveled a 3 mile radius.  The field strength force
of a bomb is 1/distance**2 right?  Let's say n=f/(d*d).  The
force at the three mile point would have been 20/9 or about
2 KT.

n=f/(d*d)
(d*d)*n=f
d*d=f/n
d=sqrt(f/n)
d=sqrt(20000/2)
d=sqrt(10000)
d=100

Is this math right?

So in other words, a ground zero explosion of a 20 megaton bomb
would level a 100 mile radius.  The same bomb in an airburst
would level an even larger radius (2X I think), without allowing
for the "chain reaction" of a similar large bomb in a close
proximity, say 400 miles away.

Remember, this is only the folks who would be killed instantly.  Many
people would be blinded, radiation poisoned (from the fusion reaction,
not the plutonium), burned only with 2nd degree burns over their
bodies, and deafened by shock waves.
Don't H-bombs make a big BOOM :-)?

Of course most major hospitals would be fried, as would most power
plants, communications centers, and trained workers.  We could compound
that by pointing out that flammable materials such as gas mains would
follow the lines and cause lots of secondary fire-works.  And of course
little water to put them out.  About the only thing worse than
dying in a nuclear war would be surviving long enough to experience
the pain and suffering with no hope of long term survival.

Reguarding plutonium vs. water vapor risks, remember that it
only takes a few ounces of plutonium to trigger the fusion bomb.
When we speak of a 20 Megaton bomb, we are talking about the
explosive force equivalant to 20 Million Tons of TNT, not a bomb
that contains 20 million tons of plutonium.

Some tactical weapons (the very small ones) are very small, only 1 or
2 Kilotons, enough to level a shopping center or (more likely)
an airport.  Their main advantage is that they are about the size
of a ping-pong ball and are therefore easy to deliver but hard
to shoot down.  They can be installed in small "gliders" and
can be flown "through the doors of the kremlin", assuming they
aren't jammed before they get there.  In lightly populated areas,
the leveling of a 1000 foot radius would be irritating, but hardly
destroy civilization as we know it.  It is very important to
determine which weapons are being discussed, where they would be
used, and how many would be used at one time.

Theoretically, IF these tactical "micro-bombs" could be used without
escalating into a full scale exchange of Strategic weapons, they would
be about as destructive as napalm or various conventional weapons.
IF tactical weaponry did not lead to launch of strategic weaponry,
use of such devices would substantially lower the cost of delivery
systems, reduce the man-power needed to gain a strategic position,
and reduce the risk to pilots who could drop such weaponry from
relatively safe altitudes and positions.

In fact, much of the research into delivery systems have been the
subject of various jokes.  When we had an H-bomb the size of a hand
grenade, they couldn't find any volunteers to throw it :-),  the
government researched the possibilities of using "frisbies" as delivery
systems.  Estes was actually granted a small (<$1 million) grant to
come up with a remote controllable model rocket.  You can buy
simplified versions of several of these delivery systems at your
local hobby shop.

The problem, for both sides, is that there is no such understanding.
If such tactical weapons were actually used, tested, or deployed
in an improper manner, it would be a violation of the various treaties,
and grounds for counter assault using progressively larger weapons,
with the eventual possibility of an all out exchange of strategic
nuclear weapons.

Naturally, the U.S. would like to be able to set a threshold of say 1
Kiloton, because we have smaller bombs in this size range, but the
U.S.S.R. doesn't have much of anything under 8 kilotons (2 mile
radius).  Also, the U.S. would like to be able to use many micro-bombs
to be sure of getting the desired target, however, if the U.S. sends 20
1 Kton bombs, why shouldn't the U.S.S.R. treat that as the equivilent
of 1 20 Kton bomb, and respond with 1 20 Kton bomb on an equally
populated area?

The fact that both sides have used weapons such as napalm and
special explosives with destructive power of a 1 Kton bomb doesn't
seem to bother anyone.  It's the fact that they are "nuclear" devices
which sends everyone running for the "no nukes now" campaign.
The fact that the delivery systems for this power are very expensive
and vulnerable doesn't bother anyone.  Would you rather have 20
jet fighters and an aircraft carrier delivering 5 Ktons worth of
200 pound missles, or 1 fighter dropping 5 Ktons worth of 5 pound
"model rocket/gliders"?

It would be nice if a 5 Kton attack using conventional weapons, such
as the attack on Libya, were considered the equivilant to a 5 Kton
attack using nuclear weapons.  It might make both sides think twice
before using any sort of explosive force.  But, if we have to use
that kind of force, shouldn't we do so in the most cost-efficient
manner possible, costs being reckoned in both dollars and human
lives?

I haven't heard what the radiation levels would be for these
<1 Kton fusion weapons.  Would it be worse than other conventional
weapons such as phosphorous bombs?

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (05/08/86)

> From: rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard)
> This article actually contains three parts.

I don't mean to be offensive here, but it also contains more conceptual
errors than you can shake a stick at.  I will nevertheless shake my
stick most vigorously.  Rex had asked for correction/comment on
scientific points, so take my comments in a sort of spirit of
good-natured co-operation.  Don't regard my comments as definitive, but
I've tried to point out where things are said that make no sense at all.

The quick summary version of my comments is "This is a very unrealistic
conception of the use of nuclear devices for war.  You are worrying
about the *WRONG* *THINGS*"

> Water vapor can be super-heated back into it's componant parts,
> hydrogen and oxygen, which can be re-cumbusted.

True enough.  But the breakdown will *consume* energy, and the burning
will *release* (at most) the same ammount of energy.  Not much of a net
effect.  Water vapor in the air might have effect on just how the blast
effects propogate, and so on, but this will have nothing much to do with
"burning" per se.

> The superheating
> can be generated by a fusion reaction.  Under normal circumstances
> and tests, there is a limited chain reaction.

Describe these "normal circumstances".  Which possible "chain reaction"
are you talking about here... nuclear, chemical, dominoes toppling,
what?

> This is why a nuclear
> airburst of a 20 Kiloton bomb can wipe out a larger area than a ground
> zero explosion.

The term "ground zero" is applied equally to airburst, groundburst, and
underground explosions.  It refers to the spot on the ground closest to
the explosion.  (The term is a little ambiguous in hilly terrain, but
this is usually minor and not worth worrying about).

> When we begin to talk about 3000 20 Megaton bombs in nuclear airburst
> configurations with targets spaced within a 200 mile radius of each
> other, preferably on a cloudy day, we could see a "blanket effect" of
> burning hydrogen/oxygen between the individual targets.

Nope.  As mentioned above, the water vapor would first absorb energy,
then release it.  If anything, the effect would be more *mild* than the
effect on a clear day.  I also doubt that much of the cloud cover would
be close enough to undergo this type of "burning", even for the largest
warheads.

> Some small
> amount of hydrogen would be fused into helium,

Some small ammount indeed.  Effectively zero.  Except the deuterium and
tritium in the warhead itself, of course.

> [...]
> In addition, the pressure of the heated gas, the ionized gases, and
> changes in electromagnetic charges could expose much of the outer
> atmosphere to solar winds, which would blow away the outer layer of the
> atmosphere.  If enough ozone were lost, most surface creatures would
> be exposed to excessive ultra-violet radiation, and at the same time
> possibly extreme cold do to the loss of the heat retaining ionisphere.
> This is great for plants, but not so good for mammals, I don't know
> about reptiles and insects.

I'm not sure what "changes in electromagnetic charges" these are.
Explosions intended to produce EMP effects might indeed affect the
ionisphere.  Unlikely to "blow" significant ammounts of it into space,
however.  And any that it did would have little or nothing to do with
the solar wind.  It might indeed also disrupt the "ozonosphere" also.
This wouldn't be good for anyone, including plants.  Also, the
ionisphere doesn't retain the earth's heat.  That's done much much
lower.  The temperature dropping effect popularly known as "nuclear
winter" has nothing to do with heat loss however, but with lack of
incoming heat (reflected from clouds caused by firestorms and other
atmospheric dust).

> There is a possibility that if you were living in a nuclear submarine,
> capable of producing oxygen from the ocean, and lived off the deep
> sea for a few hundred years, you might be able to surface and return
> to a somewhat normal life.  Of course, subs from the "other side"
> would be hunting for you, and you would be hunting for them.  You
> would also have to have both men and women aboard the subs to
> perpetuate the species.

Wait a minute.  You go from "some disturbances in ionosphere" to "no
oxygen left"?  How is this possibly justifyed?  Also, I doubt that even
the most luxurious submarines in the fleet are provisioned for "a few
hundred years", so most of those points are moot.  And I doubt very much
that the crew of a nuclear sub could maintain it for very long without
shore-based people and equipment.  The crew knows how to *use* the sub,
not how to *build* it or *maintain* it (at least not in the most global
sense or major repair and refitting).

>  Civilization would tend to digress into
> an almost ritualistic "religion" since few of the crew would
> know why the technology aboard the sub worked, but instead only
> knew how to keep it working.

Glad *someone* knows what "civilization" would do after a nuclear war.
Is the new religion "Ubizmatizm"?  Maybe I need to get a copy of the
Book of Ubizmo before it doesn't exist anymore?

> Just as a mathmatical excercise, the 20 Kiloton bomb dropped
> on Hirosima leveled a 3 mile radius.  The field strength force
> of a bomb is 1/distance**2 right?  Let's say n=f/(d*d).
>       [...etc...]
> Is this math right?

Right I suppose.  But I think blast effects are proportional to
energy/volume, so would decline as cube of distance, not square (sort of
like tides, right?).  But I'm not sure I'm remembering that correctly,
but I vaguely remember something like "thousand times as powerful a bomb
means ten times the total kill radius".  That would mean that a
20-megaton bomb would have a total kill radius on the order of 30 miles
or so.  Seems about right.  On the other hand, the above seems correct
for radiation effects, so it might be able to ignite firestorms over
hundreds or thousands of square miles.  If anybody really cares about
exact numbers here, go to the library and look them up (I note that such
things aren't in my general reference sets, sadly enough).

> So in other words, a ground zero explosion of a 20 megaton bomb
> would level a 100 mile radius.  The same bomb in an airburst
> would level an even larger radius (2X I think), without allowing
> for the "chain reaction" of a similar large bomb in a close
> proximity, say 400 miles away.

What "chain reaction is this"?

> Don't H-bombs make a big BOOM :-)?

Damn right they do.

    A is for Atom; they are all so small,
    That we have not really seen any at all.

    B is for Bomb.  They are much bigger.
    So mister you better keep off of the trigger.

> Reguarding plutonium vs. water vapor risks, remember that it
> only takes a few ounces of plutonium to trigger the fusion bomb.
> When we speak of a 20 Megaton bomb, we are talking about the
> explosive force equivalant to 20 Million Tons of TNT, not a bomb
> that contains 20 million tons of plutonium.

Ounces, schmounces.  Even the smallest thermonuclear weapon needs
several *pounds* (not ounces) of plutonium to trigger fusion.  And most
of it will still be plutonium after the explosion.  *HOWEVER*, even with
the entire 30,000 or so warheads, this amount of plutonium wouldn't,
repeat *WOULDN'T* be the most dangerous byproduct of the detonation of
all those weapons.  Other fission byproducts of even the cleanest bombs
are *much* worse than plutonium, (due to the extremely short
half-lives).

I've said it before, I'll say it again.  Plutonium isn't what to worry
about in a nuclear war.  Nor is "water vapor burning".  You needn't
invoke new, imaginary bogeymen to make nuclear war horrible.  Effects of
blast, prompt radiation, secondary firestorms, fallout, and climatic
disturbance will swamp most other effects.  These are bad enough to
worry about.

> Some tactical weapons (the very small ones) are very small, only 1 or
> 2 Kilotons, enough to level a shopping center or (more likely)
> an airport.  Their main advantage is that they are about the size
> of a ping-pong ball and are therefore easy to deliver but hard
> to shoot down.

Holy Shit!  Excuse my french, but what planet did the bomb designer come
from anyhow?  "Size of a ping-pong ball?" Just a supercritical mass of
plutonium itself is about the size of a softball (or maybe a baseball,
if a real genius of a designer is at work, maybe).  And that doesn't
include the hardware to detonate it, nor space to keep it subcritical
until use. Granted, tactical nukes can be the size, say, of a
toaster.... but a *ping* *pong* *ball*?  Get real.  Maybe you haven't
played ping-pong lately, but those things are about three times the size
of my thumb.  Maybe a Galifrayan could pack a functioning fission bomb
into that much space, but I doubt a human could in these primitive
times.

> Theoretically, IF these tactical "micro-bombs" could be used without
> escalating into a full scale exchange of Strategic weapons, they would
> be about as destructive as napalm or various conventional weapons.

Right.  I'm glad you agree that that is a mighty big IF.  Actually, it
is a mighty big        IIIIIIIII FFFFFFFFF
                       IIIIIIIII FFFFFFFFF
                          III    FF
                          III    FF
                          III    FFFFFF
                          III    FF
                          III    FF
                       IIIIIIIII FF
                       IIIIIIIII FF

> In fact, much of the research into delivery systems have been the
> subject of various jokes.  When we had an H-bomb the size of a hand
> grenade, they couldn't find any volunteers to throw it :-),  the
> government researched the possibilities of using "frisbies" as delivery
> systems.  Estes was actually granted a small (<$1 million) grant to
> come up with a remote controllable model rocket.  You can buy
> simplified versions of several of these delivery systems at your
> local hobby shop.

If this is a tip-off that the whole posting is a joke, you may consider
me suckered in.  I don't (after due consideration) think the whole
posting is a joke.  Have a laugh at my expense, if you wish.  (On the
other hand, those Estes remarks suggest some NASA jokes... hmmmm,
something about "Did ya hear about NASA's new solid rocket supplier?
Yeah, they fired Morton Thiokol, and hired Estes..." )

> Would you rather have 20
> jet fighters and an aircraft carrier delivering 5 Ktons worth of
> 200 pound missles, or 1 fighter dropping 5 Ktons worth of 5 pound
> "model rocket/gliders"?

Lesse now.  5 Ktons of TNT in 200 pound missiles.  That's (10 missiles
per ton) 50,000 missiles, among 20 jet fighters (two into five K) or
2,500 missiles per fighter.  Damn small missiles, what?  Looking at it
another way, we have 20 fighters carrying a half a million pounds
of payload each.  What planet were these "fighters" designed on, again?
(You did imply this was 20 fighters for one flight, right?)

Face it folks, it just isn't practical to deliver nuclear scale
firepower with conventional weapons, period.  Nuclear reactions are
hundreds of thousands (or even millions) of times more powerful.  Not
that I think it is a good idea to deliver nuclear scale firepower with
*nuclear* weapons, mind you.  If you want large scale non-nuclear
weapons, try kinetic, gravity-powered weapons (drop large rocks from the
moon, for example).  Still not cost-effective, but more practical than
"fighter" planes with a half-million-pound payload.

> I haven't heard what the radiation levels would be for these
> <1 Kton fusion weapons.  Would it be worse than other conventional
> weapons such as phosphorous bombs?

First, <1 Kton fusion weapons don't exist.  Tactical weapons
are all fission.  Second, since when did chemical explosives or
incindiaries pose *any* particular radiation hazard?  (That is, the
direct answer to your question is "yes, it would be much, much worse".)
--
Wayne Throop      <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

john@anasazi.UUCP (05/10/86)

In article <393@ccird1.UUCP> rb@ccird1.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:
>please give the facts.  I'm not a nuclear physicist (I can't even
>spell it).  Most of my information comes from bits and pieces of
>information given in the general press including UPI, NPR, and
>network news, and various other general programs.
Yeah... this part is obvious. It is a shame you didn't look in any
available book about nuclear blast effects, etc, before putting
out this article. Your style of writing makes it seem very
authoritative, but your numbers are sheer garbage! This is too
bad, because you probably mislead some folks.
	I wish I could provide you with the exact numbers, but I
recently moved and my book on nuclear weapons effects, and it's
associated "nuclear effects calculator" are missing. However, I
can still give you pretty good approximations. See below:
>and tests, there is a limited chain reaction.  This is why a nuclear
>airburst of a 20 Kiloton bomb can wipe out a larger area than a ground
>zero explosion.
Sorry, an airburst wipes out a larger area for a much more obvious reason:
more ground area is exposed to the prompt radiation and shock wave because
it is LINE-OF-SIGHT to the blast. Furthermore, more of the energy is directed
towards structures on the surface. In a ground burst, a lot of the energy
goes down, into the earth, and up towards the sky. In an air burst, the
energy which goes "down" hits a wider area because "down" is a town or
whatever.

>When we begin to talk about 3000 20 Megaton bombs in nuclear airburst
>configurations with targets spaced within a 200 mile radius of each
>other, preferably on a cloudy day, we could see a "blanket effect" of
>burning hydrogen/oxygen between the individual targets.  Some small
I really don't have the facts to back up this, but I doubt you do
either. I suspect that someone with a better knowledge of physics would
calculate that the energy released by the burning H2 O2 would be peanuts
compared to that initially released by the bomb.
>weapons (the small ones), leave craters in underground tests of up to 3
>miles.  The same weapons above ground, could wipe out a 100 mile radius
>in an airburst.  Strategic weapons (the big ones) could wipe out a 300
>mile radius.
This is real garbage. Typical tactical weapons leave craters a few hundred
yards in diameter (go read Scientific American for details). Strategic
weapons may wipe out a 3 to 5 mile radius, not 300 miles! I once calculated
the number of 1 Mt bombs, optimally spaced, and detonated at optimum altitude,
necessary to wipe out Phoenix, AZ. It would take around 45. If your numbers
were right, it would just take one or two. I believe that blast effects
go down with the CUBE root of radius, not the Square root. Thus a 20 Mt
bomb (about as big as anyone bothers to build) would wipe out an area
with only 10 times the radius of the Hiroshima bomb.
>Just as a mathmatical excercise, the 20 Kiloton bomb dropped
>on Hirosima leveled a 3 mile radius.  The field strength force
>of a bomb is 1/distance**2 right?  Let's say n=f/(d*d).  The
>force at the three mile point would have been 20/9 or about
>2 KT.
The radius was a lot less than 3 miles. People survived less that
1/2 miles from ground zero.
	Your force calculation is nonsense. KT is not a measure of
force, it is a measure of energy.
>Is this math right?

No
>So in other words, a ground zero explosion of a 20 megaton bomb
>would level a 100 mile radius.  The same bomb in an airburst
See above!
>Of course most major hospitals would be fried, as would most power
>plants, communications centers, and trained workers.  We could compound
>that by pointing out that flammable materials such as gas mains would
>follow the lines and cause lots of secondary fire-works.  And of course
>little water to put them out.  About the only thing worse than
>dying in a nuclear war would be surviving long enough to experience
>the pain and suffering with no hope of long term survival.
Hey, we all know that nuclear war sucks. The effects you describe would
be true in a full scale nuclear war without SDI. Do you really think
that the proponents of SDI are this STUPID? They may not be able to
build a system that works (who knows), but I suspect they looked
a little closer at the collateral damage than your writings would imply.
>Some tactical weapons (the very small ones) are very small, only 1 or
>2 Kilotons, enough to level a shopping center or (more likely)
>an airport.  Their main advantage is that they are about the size
>of a ping-pong ball and are therefore easy to deliver but hard
>to shoot down.  They can be installed in small "gliders" and
Nice try... maybe the size of a large hand grenade. What is your source
for the "ping-pong" ball size?
>Theoretically, IF these tactical "micro-bombs" could be used without
>escalating into a full scale exchange of Strategic weapons, they would
>be about as destructive as napalm or various conventional weapons.
>IF tactical weaponry did not lead to launch of strategic weaponry,
>use of such devices would substantially lower the cost of delivery
>systems, reduce the man-power needed to gain a strategic position,
>and reduce the risk to pilots who could drop such weaponry from
>relatively safe altitudes and positions.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the Plutonium discussion, but let
me flame a little failed logic in the above paragraph. Even if the
weapon was the size of a pinhead, you still have a small problem
delivering it in a strategic (read... long range) exchange. First
of all, you need a propulsion system that will go several thousand
miles. You can't simply scale a ballistic missile down very far. The
total size of the thing is not simply ratioed to the size of the warhead.
One which simply tried to put a pea across the ocean would still be
a pretty big machine.
>In fact, much of the research into delivery systems have been the
>subject of various jokes.  When we had an H-bomb the size of a hand
>grenade, they couldn't find any volunteers to throw it :-),  the
It was a small fission bomb, not an H-bomb.
>The problem, for both sides, is that there is no such understanding.
>If such tactical weapons were actually used, tested, or deployed
>in an improper manner, it would be a violation of the various treaties,
>and grounds for counter assault using progressively larger weapons,
>with the eventual possibility of an all out exchange of strategic
>nuclear weapons.
>
>Naturally, the U.S. would like to be able to set a threshold of say 1
>Kiloton, because we have smaller bombs in this size range, but the
>U.S.S.R. doesn't have much of anything under 8 kilotons (2 mile
>radius).  Also, the U.S. would like to be able to use many micro-bombs
>to be sure of getting the desired target, however, if the U.S. sends 20
>1 Kton bombs, why shouldn't the U.S.S.R. treat that as the equivilent
>of 1 20 Kton bomb, and respond with 1 20 Kton bomb on an equally
>populated area?
What in the world are you talking about? If we went over and dropped
rocks on Moscow, it would be an act of war. There is no reason at
all to drop micro-nukes... any nuclear blast will be detected
as such... after all, the flash has a very distinctive, double
humped, signature, and there is the small fact of radiation.
>I haven't heard what the radiation levels would be for these
><1 Kton fusion weapons.  Would it be worse than other conventional
>weapons such as phosphorous bombs?
Good grief! The answer to this should be obvious to anyone! A
phosphorous bomb has no radiation whatsoever! Any fusion or
fission weapon does... lots of it.

--
John Moore (NJ7E/XE1HDO)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

The opinions expressed here are obviously not mine, so they must be
someone else's.

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Ken Arromdee) (05/17/86)

>>When we begin to talk about 3000 20 Megaton bombs in nuclear airburst
>>configurations with targets spaced within a 200 mile radius of each
>>other, preferably on a cloudy day, we could see a "blanket effect" of
>>burning hydrogen/oxygen between the individual targets.  Some small
>I really don't have the facts to back up this, but I doubt you do
>either. I suspect that someone with a better knowledge of physics would
>calculate that the energy released by the burning H2 O2 would be peanuts
>compared to that initially released by the bomb.

Er--where is this H2 going to come from?  If the hydrogen comes from the
dissociation of water into H2 and O2, the burning of the H2 will release
exactly as much energy as was used up in the dissociation in the first place.
Conservation of energy, you know...
--
"We are going to give a little something, a few little years more, to
socialism, because socialism is defunct.  It dies all by iself.  The bad thing

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: {allegra!hopkins, seismo!umcp-cs, ihnp4!whuxcc} !jhunix!ins_akaa

ken@njitcccc.UUCP (05/22/86)

In article <260@anasazi.UUCP>, john@anasazi.UUCP writes:
> >in an airburst.  Strategic weapons (the big ones) could wipe out a 300
> >mile radius.
> This is real garbage. Typical tactical weapons leave craters a few hundred
> yards in diameter (go read Scientific American for details). Strategic
> weapons may wipe out a 3 to 5 mile radius, not 300 miles! I once calculated
> the number of 1 Mt bombs, optimally spaced, and detonated at optimum altitude,
> necessary to wipe out Phoenix, AZ. It would take around 45. If your numbers
> were right, it would just take one or two. I believe that blast effects
> go down with the CUBE root of radius, not the Square root. Thus a 20 Mt
> bomb (about as big as anyone bothers to build) would wipe out an area
> with only 10 times the radius of the Hiroshima bomb.
Pretty good estimate. I've got one of those handy dandy calculators.
Assuming a 20 megaton bomb detonated at optimum burst height, with
peak pressure to destroy buildings (not hardened) set at 50 psi,
the destruction radius will be 2.6 miles.

--
Kenneth Ng: uucp(unreliable) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!njitcccc!ken
	    bitnet(prefered) ken@njitcccc.bitnet

New Jersey Institute of Technology
Computerized Conferencing and Communications Center
Newark, New Jersey 07102

Vulcan jealousy: "I fail to see the logic in prefering Stan over me"
Number 5: "I need input"

bl@hplabsb.UUCP (Bruce T. Lowerre) (05/24/86)

> > go down with the CUBE root of radius, not the Square root. Thus a 20 Mt
> > bomb (about as big as anyone bothers to build) would wipe out an area
> > with only 10 times the radius of the Hiroshima bomb.
> Pretty good estimate. I've got one of those handy dandy calculators.
> Assuming a 20 megaton bomb detonated at optimum burst height, with
> peak pressure to destroy buildings (not hardened) set at 50 psi,
> the destruction radius will be 2.6 miles.

All very true.  However, 50 psi overpressure is overkill!  An overpressure
of just 5 psi is enough to cause distruction and damage to non-reinforced
buildings.  At 5 psi, the radius of destruction is 12 miles.