[net.politics] The Presidents, and how they rate in history

jfs@petrus.UUCP (Jack Stanley) (05/30/86)

          It is rather interesting that almost everyone has a similer

opinion about Grant. However after that it's mighty hard to find two people

who agree on any of the others !!       Lincoln has pretty much held his own,

through this however Mr. Nixon has not faired to well!!     I guess it's

just..... That we all have heros, and I think it's grand that some pretty

great guys held a much to difficult office, and many years after the fact

we can sound off on what we liked, or didn't like about them.

             History does show us , that the right guy for the right emergency

seemed almost always there.     I bet alot of you are going to disagree with

me on that one.

                      Let me end with a quote.......and a quiz....?????

Whos Vice President said the following, and who was the Vice President ???

   "What this country needs, is a good 5 cent cigar".

                                 Till Later    Jack Stanley

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (06/02/86)

In article <159@petrus.UUCP> jfs@petrus.UUCP (Jack Stanley) writes:
>It is rather interesting that almost everyone has a similer opinion
>about Grant. However after that it's mighty hard to find two people
>who agree on any of the others!! Lincoln has pretty much held his own,
>[...]

If Lincoln has "held his own" (which is _not_ what _I_ recall from these
discussions) it is only because of the virtual deification of the man
by the powers-that-be of this country. I daresay that if his presidency
were analyzed half as critically as any modern-day president, he would
come off as one of the most criminal presidents in our history.

Yeah, sure, he won the war. But look at how ignored, and what he did to,
the constitution to achieve that victory. Do the ends justify the means?