[net.politics] How bad the attacks on cities were in World War II

gjk@lanl.ARPA (Greg) (06/15/86)

In article <457@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> davidra@batcomputer.UUCP (Penguin (Rabson)) writes:
>I've heard a rumor that Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as bad as they were, made
>everyone forget about Dresden, where more people died equally awful deaths.
>
>Is this true?
>
>The moral is that war was at least as bad before Trinity as after.

No, more people died in Hiroshima than in Dresden.  The most common estimate
I've heard for Dresden is 40,000 deaths, while for Hiroshima it is 100,000
deaths.  I don't know what the figures are for Nagasaki.  It is true that
more people died in Tokyo during the war than in Hiroshima.

However, what these bombings have made everyone forget about is Leningrad,
where more people died than in Hiroshima + Nagasaki + Tokyo + Dresden +
Hamburg + Berlin + London plus many other cities.  Many of us in the US think
that war is only bad when we or our allies kill people.  In fact, many of us
outside of the US think this way.  In fact, altogether too many people think
this way.
--
Greg
gjk%a@lanl.arpa and greg@harvard.harvard.edu

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (06/17/86)

> In article <457@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> davidra@batcomputer.UUCP (Penguin (Rabson)) writes:
> >I've heard a rumor that Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as bad as they were, made
> >everyone forget about Dresden, where more people died equally awful deaths.
> >
> >Is this true?
> >
> >The moral is that war was at least as bad before Trinity as after.
>
> No, more people died in Hiroshima than in Dresden.  The most common estimate
> I've heard for Dresden is 40,000 deaths, while for Hiroshima it is 100,000
> deaths.  I don't know what the figures are for Nagasaki.  It is true that
> more people died in Tokyo during the war than in Hiroshima.
>
> However, what these bombings have made everyone forget about is Leningrad,
> where more people died than in Hiroshima + Nagasaki + Tokyo + Dresden +
> Hamburg + Berlin + London plus many other cities.  Many of us in the US think
> that war is only bad when we or our allies kill people.  In fact, many of us
> outside of the US think this way.  In fact, altogether too many people think
> this way.
> --
> Greg
--------
Well said, Greg, except you forgot about Auschwitz, where more people died
than in Leningrad + Hiroshima + Nagasaki + Dresden + etc. etc. etc.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (07/02/86)

In article <4259@lanl.ARPA> gjk@a.UUCP (Greg) writes:
>In article <457@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> davidra@batcomputer.UUCP (Penguin (Rabson)) writes:
>>I've heard a rumor that Hiroshima and Nagasaki, as bad as they were, made
>>everyone forget about Dresden, where more people died equally awful deaths.
>>
>>Is this true?
>>
>>The moral is that war was at least as bad before Trinity as after.
>
>No, more people died in Hiroshima than in Dresden.  The most common estimate
>I've heard for Dresden is 40,000 deaths, while for Hiroshima it is 100,000
>deaths.  I don't know what the figures are for Nagasaki.  It is true that
>more people died in Tokyo during the war than in Hiroshima.
>
>However, what these bombings have made everyone forget about is Leningrad,
>where more people died than in Hiroshima + Nagasaki + Tokyo + Dresden +
>Hamburg + Berlin + London plus many other cities.  Many of us in the US think
>that war is only bad when we or our allies kill people.  In fact, many of us
>outside of the US think this way.  In fact, altogether too many people think
>this way.
>--
>Greg

Weren't many of the deaths in Lenningrad due to the deprivation effects
of the seige?

WW-II taught us many lessons.

The 10-12 million Jews, gypsies, and "communists" killed in death camps
taught us the dangers of racism.

Leningrad taught us the risks and dangers of siege.

The people killed with conventional weapons taught us the dangers of
conventional war.

The people killed with Nukes taught us the dangers of a single bomb.

We haven't learned those lessons well yet.  But so far, we have at least
not repeated them.

hijab@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU (Raif Hijab) (07/04/86)

In article <175@cci632.UUCP>, rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) writes:

> We haven't learned those lessons well yet.  But so far, we have at least
> not repeated them.

The superpowers have learned that is cheaper to wage wars in the
Third World.