[net.politics] Nuclear power vs Coal vs Alternatives

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (07/07/86)

<408@meccts.UUCP> <817@whuts.UUCP> <209@njitcccc.UUCP> <176@cci632.UUCP>

> This article is also being added to net.sci to insure that I'm not wildly
> misinformed about Pressurized Water Reactors (PWRs) and Argon/Freon
> properties.
> (editing)
> Actually, the pure costs (non-legal) of nukes has actually gone down,
> even before inflation, but the legal costs have gone up exponentially.

	No, the non-legal costs have gone up.  But it also
	gets harder to separate: e.g., are clean-up mops considered legal
	cost?

> Not to mention the incedent reports every time there is even a trivial
> problem in operation.  If coal powered plants had to fill out the same
> paperwork each time they were take off the grid, before they could get
> back on the grid, the whole country would be running on five plants.

	No, but coal fired plants don't have fission products
	like Ba, Sr, Cs, etc. when they blow up.  And they do blow up.

	(more editing)
> >Third, and in my opinion one of the biggest problems, are the
> >managers of these companies who constantly go for short term
> >profit and ignore long term gains, as well as those managers
> >who have no idea as to what they are managing.

	Ken and Rex: (re: bashing managers and PWR) hindsight is
	frequently 20/20.  One of the biggest reasons we have PWRs
	is that back in the 1950/1960s, there was a great dirth of
	engineering expertise in any reactor technology.  We (the
	US people) wanted clean power.  The first source of
	engineering expertise came from the US Nuclear Navy, and
	power companies took people from the USN as airlines take
	miltary pilots.  Their experience was all under PWR systems.
	This was probably a smart management move at the time.
	The problem was that the 1) the engineering has not been able
	to scale on all account, and 2) the relative rigidity of
	the USNN's position on PWRs which are probably fine for
	their needs, but could do with some updating.  It's too
	easy to bash managers (profit vs. long-term).  Don't forget
	that most power company managers started as engineers.
	All you have to do is write EPRI in Palo Alto.

	While I am a critic of certain aspects of the economics of
	nuclear power, I recognize the need for coherent argument.

The following has very little to do with space (other than take up tracks
on a disk), so round up the usual disclaimers.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  com'on do you trust Reply commands with all these different mailers?
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,tektronix,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  eugene@ames-aurora.ARPA

mvs@meccts.UUCP (07/10/86)

In article <1557@ames.UUCP> eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>> Actually, the pure costs (non-legal) of nukes has actually gone down,
>> even before inflation, but the legal costs have gone up exponentially.
>
>	No, the non-legal costs have gone up.  But it also
>	gets harder to separate: e.g., are clean-up mops considered legal
>	cost?

One article I read said it took about 5 years on the average to build
a nuclear power plant in Japan.  This is in a country which is much
more earthquake prone then the US.  In the US it takes somewhere like
15 years to build a nuclear power plant.  It is the legal costs that
have destroyed nuclear power in this country.  Fortunately that
hasn't happened in to many other countries.  (Or they, like us, would be
using more dangerous methods of producing power.)

>	No, but coal fired plants don't have fission products
>	like Ba, Sr, Cs, etc. when they blow up.  And they do blow up.

Name one nuclear power plant that has *ever* blown up.  A nuclear
power plant can never come close to ever getting a critical mass.  A
chemcial explosion followed by a fire is not blowing up.

If you want to show that nuclear power is too dangerous, then simply
show a power source that can produce the same amount of power with a
lower cost in human life.  Remember that coal emmissions kill an
estimated 10-50 thousand people a year and that radon gas (which
collects in tightly insulated homes) is suspected to cause up to 10
thousand cancers a year.

--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (07/10/86)

>If you want to show that nuclear power is too dangerous, then simply
>show a power source that can produce the same amount of power with a
>lower cost in human life.  Remember that coal emmissions kill an
>estimated 10-50 thousand people a year and that radon gas (which
>collects in tightly insulated homes) is suspected to cause up to 10
>thousand cancers a year.
>
>--
>Michael V. Stein
>Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

	I read a book that did an analysis like this a few years
	ago, "The Health Hazards of Not Going Nuclear". I don't
	recall the author's name.
--
     Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
     Southern Development Center

jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) (07/11/86)

> >	No, but coal fired plants don't have fission products
> >	like Ba, Sr, Cs, etc. when they blow up.  And they do blow up.
>
> Name one nuclear power plant that has *ever* blown up.  A nuclear
> power plant can never come close to ever getting a critical mass.  A
> chemcial explosion followed by a fire is not blowing up.
>
> --
> Michael V. Stein
> Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

I'm sorry to differ (especially since I've always been a staunch defender
of nuclear power) but a steam or chemical explosion is 'blowing up'.
What you mean is that it will not produce a nuclear explosion which is true
however a steam or chemical explosion is capable of breaching containment
and dispersing radionuclides to the envirnment.  Case in point - Chernobyl.

US reactor facilities have containment structures that can stand up to
quite a lot but when you have explosions INSIDE the structure there is
only so much you can do.  I worked on a reactor facility at Argonne Nat.
Labs where the containment structure was designed to withstand the
detonation of 100 lbs of TNT at core center.  We annually pumped the
inside of the containment structure to 10 PSI for leak testing.  Most
structures fall down with 5 PSI on the outside.  Three Mile Island
officials were quite worried about hydrogen build up.  Their calculations
were showing that IF the temperature was high enough that hydrogen was
disassociating from water in enough quantity to violate containment if
ignited.  Fortunately hydrogen wasn't forming but I can't believe it's
not possible for it to happen.

I guess the real problem for reactors is the risk vrs benefit factor.  Since
we had no real idea what the price to be paid is if the worst happens we
have to assume total destruction of the area and a wasteland legacy for
generations.  If anything is to be learned from Chernobyl, it should be an
accurate picture of the price to be paid when all hell breaks loose.  I
don't believe the price is as bad as the general public thinks (all though
it is a heavy price).

					Jeff McQuinn just VAXing around

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/11/86)

>>If you want to show that nuclear power is too dangerous, then simply
>>show a power source that can produce the same amount of power with a
>>lower cost in human life.  Remember that coal emmissions kill an
>>estimated 10-50 thousand people a year and that radon gas (which
>>collects in tightly insulated homes) is suspected to cause up to 10
>>thousand cancers a year.  [Michael Stein]
>
>I read a book that did an analysis like this a few years ago, "The
>Health Hazards of Not Going Nuclear". I don't recall the author's
>name.  [Joel Upchurch]

Petr Beckmann's book appeared about ten years ago.  Most thoughtful
opponents of nuclear power are familiar with his line of reasoning.
I recently posted an article explaining some of the problems with
this count-the-dead-bodies-per-megawatt-hour type of argument.  So
far I have seen no response.

If we are going to have a battle of the books, have any of the
pro-nukes read anything by Amory and Hunter Lovins, such as *Soft
Energy Paths*, *Brittle Power*, and *Energy Unbound*?  These are well
informed and thoughtful discussions of energy policy which provide no
aid and comfort to the nuclear advocates.

Richard Carnes

In article <2238@peora.UUCP> joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) writes:
>	I read a book that did an analysis like this a few years
>	ago, "The Health Hazards of Not Going Nuclear". I don't
>	recall the author's name.

Petr Beckmann, as I recall.  By the way, here is the address of the
company I previously mentioned that specializes in stocking books of
interest to "friends of liberty".  Unfortunately I couldn't find the
above book in their current catalog, which is the one with the
excellent summary of Ayn Rand and her philosophy, Objectivism, and a
2-page review of Barbara Branden's new biography of Miss Rand.

	Laissez Faire Books
	a division of Libertarian Review Foundation
	532 Broadway, 7th Floor
	New York, NY 10012

	phone (212)925-8992

Incidentally, I've read many of the books they offer and there are
some I can recommend and some I can't.  Get the catalog anyway if
you care about freedom, philosophy, and current events.

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (07/13/86)

In article <708@riccb.UUCP> jmc@riccb.UUCP (Jeff McQuinn ) writes:
>I'm sorry to differ (especially since I've always been a staunch defender
>of nuclear power) but a steam or chemical explosion is 'blowing up'.
>What you mean is that it will not produce a nuclear explosion which is true
>however a steam or chemical explosion is capable of breaching containment
>and dispersing radionuclides to the envirnment.  Case in point - Chernobyl.

I wanted to emphasize that there is no physical way for a plant to
blow up like a nuclear bomb.  Since Chernobyl had no containment dome,
it didn't take much for it to start spewing its radioactive inventory
into the environment.

Nuclear plants in the US of course do of course have containment domes.

>... Three Mile Island
>officials were quite worried about hydrogen build up.  Their calculations
>were showing that IF the temperature was high enough that hydrogen was
>disassociating from water in enough quantity to violate containment if
>ignited.  Fortunately hydrogen wasn't forming but I can't believe it's
>not possible for it to happen.

This is a misconception about Three Mile Island.  I will quote
from the "Staff Reports to the Presidents Commission on The Accident at
Three Mile Island."

	During the period March 29 thru April 1 the NRC became
	concerned over the possibility of the hydrogen in the reactor
	vessel exploding and the damage that would result. ... The
	mechanism psotulated for oxygen formation was the radiolysis
	of water.

	Radiolytic decomposition of water always occurs in water
	reactors, both while they are operating and after they are
	shut down.  Knowledge of this phenomenon and how to deal with
	it was evolved long ago and is discussed in detail in
	textbooks. The usual method (as in TMI-2) is to add hydrogen
	gas to the coolant to react with any oxygen produced and thus
	prevent its accumulation.  Only 0.1 cubic centimeters of
	hydrogen per kilogram of water will suppress the formation of
	oxygen; the hydrogen concentration in the reactor coolant was
	about 200 times this level at TMI-2.  No such explosion was
	possible.

The TMI commission later concluded that the "The basis for the NRC's
concern for an H2 O2 explosion in the reactor vessel apparently
stemmed from their habitual assumption of worst cases rather than
realistic estimates."  The Argonne National Lab review of the
disaster concluded, "Since the radiolysis of water has been studied
for decades by radiation chemists, it is hard to understand why
none of this country's outstanding radiation chemists were contacted..."

>I guess the real problem for reactors is the risk vrs benefit factor.  Since
>we had no real idea what the price to be paid is if the worst happens we
>have to assume total destruction of the area and a wasteland legacy for
>generations.  If anything is to be learned from Chernobyl, it should be an
>accurate picture of the price to be paid when all hell breaks loose.

It isn't hard to see that the old Russian graphite reactors like the
ones at Chernobyl are a disaster just waiting to happen.
From what I can tell, the power density of the Soviet graphite reactors
is so high, that only continuos cooling prevents the temperature
from rising to the ignition point of the graphite.  (Someone
correct me if I am wrong here.)  There are many reasons that
Russian reactors are now  PWR.

Yet again, the question isn't risk vs benefit - it is risk vs risk.
"Is it safer to produce this power through nuclear plants, or through
other means?" - should be the operative question.

--

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/13/86)

In article <519@gargoyle.UUCP>, carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:

> >I read a book that did an analysis like this a few years ago, "The
> >Health Hazards of Not Going Nuclear". I don't recall the author's
> >name.  [Joel Upchurch]
>
> Petr Beckmann's book appeared about ten years ago.  Most thoughtful
> opponents of nuclear power are familiar with his line of reasoning.
> I recently posted an article explaining some of the problems with
> this count-the-dead-bodies-per-megawatt-hour type of argument.  So
> far I have seen no response.
Don't worry, I'm writing one, but I hate writing long responses to
items, it means I have to think.               (:->

> If we are going to have a battle of the books, have any of the
> pro-nukes read anything by Amory and Hunter Lovins, such as *Soft
> Energy Paths*, *Brittle Power*, and *Energy Unbound*?  These are well
> informed and thoughtful discussions of energy policy which provide no
> aid and comfort to the nuclear advocates.

Eh, most of my references are not books commonly available in bookstores.
Most are articles taken from technical journals and from various
reports, such as the TMI, Rassmussen, and Lewis reports.

I don't know about those books but I remember reading parts of one
by Barry Commoner in a bookstore one day.  I loved how he equated
the output of 100% of something with 110% of something.  Then was
his solar power street light.  The expense of such a device would
be ludicrious, and the inability to use it in so many places makes
the device laughable.

But all these so called soft energy paths are missing something very
important.  They all depend upon the utility company being able to
supply power when more than about 3 days of sunless days occur.  That
means that the utilities still have to design their systems as though
there were no such solar systems.  And that would drive up the rates
of electricity because the utilities still have to pay for the power
capacity even though it isn't usually used.  And if they don't provide
the capacity, they will have to cut off most of the people using solar
power after the third cloudy day, because the utilities won't have the
needed capability.

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102

Kirk: "Spock, the women on your planet are logical, that is
the only planet in the federation that can make that claim"

Savaak: "He's so....human"
Spock: "No one is perfect"

In article <448@meccts.UUCP>, mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) writes:

> This is a misconception about Three Mile Island.  I will quote
> from the "Staff Reports to the Presidents Commission on The Accident at
> Three Mile Island."

Oh my god, you mean I'm not the only person who has read that report!
Wow, I don't feel as lonely anymore.

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (07/14/86)

In article <519@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>If we are going to have a battle of the books, have any of the
>pro-nukes read anything by Amory and Hunter Lovins, such as *Soft
>Energy Paths*, *Brittle Power*, and *Energy Unbound*?  These are well
>informed and thoughtful discussions of energy policy which provide no
>aid and comfort to the nuclear advocates.

A problem the "soft energy" advocates have is that they confuse the
seperate issues of nuclear proliferation and nuclear power.  This is a
serious error and has been covered before.

Lovins also assumes an advisarial stance toward nuclear power.  What
he doesn't seem to realize is that solar energy and nuclear power are
partners.  If solar energy is ever to be made economical, it will
compete with oil - not with nuclear power.  Oil fired electricity is
several times as expensive as nuclear and is usually used to help meet
peak loads during the day when the sun is shining.   This is exactly
when solar power could make a contribution.  Solar could then someday
assist nuclear and coal in meeting daily peaks.

It will be a long while before solar will be cheap enough to
accomplish that, and in fact the health risks from such a diversified
energy source could even be greater then the health risks from coal.
Already the deaths just from radon gas are working up to the
deaths caused by coal.  (Radon gas collects in all homes and
is especially prevalent in tightly insulated "solar" homes.)

Getting back to the issue at hand, let us remember that the debate is
the safety of nuclear power.  To do this we can't compare apples and
oranges, we have to compare nuclear power with its alternatives.
Right now the only alternatives to nuclear power are oil and coal.
So, if you want to prove that nuclear power is too dangerous, simply
show that the health risks from coal or oil are lower.
--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/14/86)

[Michael Stein]
>A problem the "soft energy" advocates have is that they confuse the
>seperate issues of nuclear proliferation and nuclear power.

What they do is point out the connections between the two issues.
How do you think India got its bomb?  It is absurd to claim there is
no connection between nuclear power and the proliferation of nuclear
weapons.  Do you mean to say you'd be perfectly happy to see Qaddhafi
with nuclear reactors and Libya swarming with nuclear scientists and
engineers?  Or Khomeini or Assad or your favorite mad dictator?

>(Radon gas collects in all homes and is especially
>prevalent in tightly insulated "solar" homes.)

Minor point here:  Most of the new energy-efficient homes have a
well-sealed basement and a vapor barrier inside masonry walls which
blocks some of the radon.  Some of them also have air-to-air heat
exchangers which increase ventilation.

I would like to recommend some salutary reading for dedicated
pro-nukers:

- *Nukespeak:  The Selling of Nuclear Technology in America* by S.
  Hilgartner, R.C. Bell, and R. O'Connor;
- *Nuclear America*, a recent book by a couple of historians (I
  forget their names);
- *The Cult of the Atom:  The Secret Papers of the AEC* by Daniel
  Ford;
- *We Almost Lost Detroit* by John G. Fuller.  This last is the story
of the near-meltdown of the Fermi breeder in 1966.  The title is no
exaggeration.

Richard Carnes

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/16/86)

In article <524@gargoyle.UUCP>, carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
> [Michael Stein]
> >A problem the "soft energy" advocates have is that they confuse the
> >seperate issues of nuclear proliferation and nuclear power.
>
> What they do is point out the connections between the two issues.
> How do you think India got its bomb?
I believe I've already said how India got its nuclear weapon capability.
Why do you continue to ignore it?  To repeat, yet another time, India
got its weapons capability by using RESEARCH reactors, which are far
different than power reactors.  Research reactors are designed far
differently than power reactors.

By ignoring my answer you are using the same technique as Ralph Nader
used several years ago when he was shown proof that nuclear power plants
could not have a nuclear explosion.  Then at the next lecture he said
that they would explode.

> It is absurd to claim there is
> no connection between nuclear power and the proliferation of nuclear
> weapons.
About the only main connection is the fact that they both use uranium
or plutonium.  By analogy, an ancient nerve gas is connected to salt.

> Do you mean to say you'd be perfectly happy to see Qaddhafi
> with nuclear reactors and Libya swarming with nuclear scientists and
> engineers?  Or Khomeini or Assad or your favorite mad dictator?
Frankly I'd rather that they use nuclear explosives than conventional
ones.  Nuclear explosives are far larger, easier to detect, expensive,
and less likely to go off correctly, than conventional explosives.
Furthermore, a lot of conventional explosives is needed to set off
a nuclear explosive, thus further depleting terrorist resources.

And if they do use it we have the perfect excuse for blowing them
off the map.             (:->

> >(Radon gas collects in all homes and is especially
> >prevalent in tightly insulated "solar" homes.)
> Minor point here:  Most of the new energy-efficient homes have a
> well-sealed basement and a vapor barrier inside masonry walls which
> blocks some of the radon.  Some of them also have air-to-air heat
> exchangers which increase ventilation.

Just what are you talking about by "air-to-air heat exchangers" ?

> I would like to recommend some salutary reading for dedicated
> pro-nukers:
[editing]
> - *We Almost Lost Detroit* by John G. Fuller.  This last is the story
> of the near-meltdown of the Fermi breeder in 1966.  The title is no
> exaggeration.

The title of that book is such a joke its ridiculous.  And the descriptions
of various scenarios that he writes show that he does not know what he
was talking about.  Yes, I have read that book.  And someone forgot
to write "We Almost Lost New York", due to 2 massive oil fires.

> Richard Carnes

References this time: none.

--

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (07/16/86)

In article <524@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>[Michael Stein]
>>A problem the "soft energy" advocates have is that they confuse the
>>seperate issues of nuclear proliferation and nuclear power.
>
>What they do is point out the connections between the two issues.
>How do you think India got its bomb?  It is absurd to claim there is
>no connection between nuclear power and the proliferation of nuclear
>weapons.

Actually India is a good example of exactly what I am saying.  India
used reasearch reactors to produce its plutonium.  Using research
reactors is many, many times easier then using the spent fuel from an
operating nuclear power plant.  This is also what Iraq was trying to
do when Israel bombed their research reactor.  Again, this has little
connection with nuclear power generation for electricity.
--

rb@cci632.UUCP (Rex Ballard) (07/17/86)

In article <442@meccts.UUCP> mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) writes:
>In article <1557@ames.UUCP> eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>>> Actually, the pure costs (non-legal) of nukes has actually gone down,
>>> even before inflation, but the legal costs have gone up exponentially.
>>
>>	No, the non-legal costs have gone up.  But it also
>>	gets harder to separate: e.g., are clean-up mops considered legal
>>	cost?
>
>One article I read said it took about 5 years on the average to build
>a nuclear power plant in Japan.  This is in a country which is much
>more earthquake prone then the US.  In the US it takes somewhere like
>15 years to build a nuclear power plant.  It is the legal costs that
>have destroyed nuclear power in this country.  Fortunately that
>hasn't happened in to many other countries.  (Or they, like us, would be
>using more dangerous methods of producing power.)

Unfortunately, many other companies are not making attempts to make
their nuclear plants safer.  Chyrnobel(sp?) is one example of what
can happen when people aren't encouraged to innovate toward safer
plants.  When incedents do happen, as they ultimately must in PWR
plants where simple pressure and decay are critical factors, it
only makes "anti-nuke advocates" say "see, we told you so".

>Name one nuclear power plant that has *ever* blown up.  A nuclear
>power plant can never come close to ever getting a critical mass.  A
>chemcial explosion followed by a fire is not blowing up.

As I recall, there was a nuclear waste dump in the U.S.S.R. that did
explode.  Note, this was not a plant, but a place where wastes were
imprudently stored.  The explosion was relatively trivial, not even
as bad as Chyrnobel.

>If you want to show that nuclear power is too dangerous, then simply
>show a power source that can produce the same amount of power with a
>lower cost in human life.  Remember that coal emmissions kill an
>estimated 10-50 thousand people a year and that radon gas (which
>collects in tightly insulated homes) is suspected to cause up to 10
>thousand cancers a year.

The original issue that raised this question was "why not solar, geothermal,
wind, or tidal energy".  As you point out, there is a problem of quantity,
and reliability, in addition to cost.

The reason this discussion was brought into net.sci however, was because
the issue of how nuclear plants could be made safer came up.

So, to put it simply:

1. Do you think nuclear plants are as safe as they could be?
(me: no, the basic premise of most plants is pressure and heat, this might
 be OK if you replace the pipes every 10 years, but not if 1 set has to
 last 20-30 years.)
2. Do you think they could be made safe?
(me: yes, if safety were a primary goal, they could be made safe)
3. Which plant(s) are the safest?
(me: Ft. St. Vrain in Greely Colorado, is the safest, but could be safer).
4. How could one make them safer?

(me: Use argon to convert neutron radiation to heat, use freon or some other
non-radiation sensitive gas to retain heat.  Sodium encased in concrete
or ceramic, at least 1 layer all the way around, including underneath.
Control rod mechanisms that drop before the pile gets too hot.
Sodium at the base of the pile, sufficient to prevent melt-down.
Coolant which is not temperature sensitive (or mimally so) to cool the
pile reguardless of temprature or pressure.
Several small piles/reactors rather than one large one.

>Michael V. Stein

Just as many elements such as silicon, gallium, arsenic, and boron have
valuable electrical properties in certain combinations, so to do different
elements have valuable nuclear properties.  To simply use "pressurized
water" because water is "cheap" is like using salt-water dimmers for
home "light dimmers".  Just as semiconductors can do a better and
safer job of managing electricity, so too can certain combinations
provide better management of nuclear power.

Just because the first light bulb was created using burned cotton thread
didn't mean all light bulbs had to be made with thread.

Most of my suggestions come from other sources, such as nuclear physicists.
I would love to see a "periodic table" of how each element is effected
by nuclear radiation.  Perhaps nuclear "batteries" or automotive engines
would even be attractive if the right packaging were done :-).