[net.politics] life of nuclear wastes

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/14/86)

[Kenneth Ng]
>When inhaled, plutonium is more dangerous: 1300 milligrams to cause
>cancer.

The figure I have read in various places is that < 1 *microgram* of
Pu is sufficient to cause cancer if inhaled.  It is less toxic if it
is not lodged in lungs or absorbed into bloodstream.  Something is
amiss if published estimates differ by 6 or 7 orders of magnitude.
Here are some references to check:

Cohen, Bernard L.  "The Hazards in Pu Dispersal."  Inst. for Energy
 Analysis, March 1975.
Edsall, John T.  "Toxicity of Pu and some other actinides."  Bull.
 Atomic Scientists, Sept. 1976, pp. 27-37.
Gofman, John W., M.D.  "The Cancer Hazard From Inhaled Pu."  Comm.
 for Nucl. Responsibility, CNR Report 1975-IR, 5/15/75.
______.  "Estimated Production of Human Lung Cancers by Pu from
 Worldwide Fallout."  CNR, 7/10/75.
______.  "The Pu Controversy."  Reprint, J. Amer. Med. Assoc., 236,
 7/19/76.
Lisco, H., M.P. Finkel, and A.M. Brues.  "Carcinogenic Properties of
 Radioactive Fission Products and of Pu."  Radiology 49 (1947), p. 361.

>As a side note: plutonium cannot be too toxic, there are about 2 to 3
>tons of it floating in the air from the atmospheric atomic bomb
>tests.

Well, that's a relief.  However, your logic escapes me.

>Eh, most of my references are not books commonly available in
>bookstores.  Most are articles taken from technical journals and from
>various reports, such as the TMI, Rassmussen, and Lewis reports.

Since most of the Lovinses' many references are to the technical
literature, I am not sure what difference it makes that their books
are written primarily for a lay audience as well as the interested
professional.  You see, they (and I) believe we should not let an
elite of experts make hugely important decisions of public policy for
us, as long as we still have a democratic society.

>But all these so called soft energy paths are missing something very
>important.  They all depend upon the utility company being able to
>supply power when more than about 3 days of sunless days occur.

I don't follow this (the wind blows, water flows downhill, and plants
grow even on cloudy days) but in any case you seem to have very
oversimplified ideas of what "soft energy paths" are all about.  If
you want to be well-informed about energy issues, please read what
people who disagree with the nuclear advocates are saying.  The
Lovinses' books are an excellent place to start.

Richard Carnes

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (07/15/86)

-----
> [Richard Carnes]
> The figure I have read in various places is that < 1 *microgram* of
> Pu is sufficient to cause cancer if inhaled.  It is less toxic if it
> is not lodged in lungs or absorbed into bloodstream.  Something is
> amiss if published estimates differ by 6 or 7 orders of magnitude.
-----
I suspect we have an apples and oranges comparison.  In principle,
1 ATOM of a radioactive substance is sufficient to cause cancer, albeit
with a low probability.  Such statistics as that are meaningless for
comparison.  Some standard is needed, such as the amount of a substance
inhaled that gives the inhalee a 50% chance of developing cancer within
five years, or some such standard.  Without this, pro and anti nuclear
authors will use wildly divergent figures to back up their own biases.
	In any event, as an alpha-emitter, plutonium is pretty ordinary,
when compared to other alpha emitters with a comparable half-life.  Anyone
who claims that the radioactivity from Pu in the lungs is much more likely
to cause cancer than all or almost all other radioactive substances is
misinformed.
	However, some radioactive substances are more dangerous because of
their chemical resemblances to essential body chemicals.  Obvious examples
are Strontium 90 collecting in bones (resembles calcium) and Iodine 131
in the thyroid (resembles non-radioactive iodine).  I don't know where, if
anywhere, plutonium in the body tends to collect.
	The chemical toxicity of plutonium is, of course, a completely
different matter.  It is also conceivable that plutonium could be highly
carcinogenic as a CHEMICAL, independent of its radioactivity.  I don't
know if this is true, either.
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (07/22/86)

In article <2201@ihlpg.UUCP>, tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) writes:
> > [Kenneth Ng]
> > >When inhaled, plutonium is more dangerous: 1300 milligrams to cause
> > >cancer.
> -----
> > [Richard Carnes]
> > The figure I have read in various places is that < 1 *microgram* of
> > Pu is sufficient to cause cancer if inhaled.  It is less toxic if it
> > is not lodged in lungs or absorbed into bloodstream.  Something is
> > amiss if published estimates differ by 6 or 7 orders of magnitude.
> -----
> I suspect we have an apples and oranges comparison.  In principle,
> 1 ATOM of a radioactive substance is sufficient to cause cancer, albeit
> with a low probability.  Such statistics as that are meaningless for
> comparison.  Some standard is needed, such as the amount of a substance
> inhaled that gives the inhalee a 50% chance of developing cancer within
> five years, or some such standard.  Without this, pro and anti nuclear
> authors will use wildly divergent figures to back up their own biases.

Gee that sounds familiar, remember a couple weeks ago I posted some
values for various substances with the LD50 values?

> Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

--
Kenneth Ng:
Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp(for a while) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken
soon uucp:ken@argus.cccc.njit.edu
bitnet(prefered) ken@njitcccc.bitnet
	     or  ken@orion.bitnet
soon bitnet: ken@orion.cccc.njit.edu
(We are VERY slowly moving to RFC 920, kicking and screaming)

Spock: "Captain, you are an excellent Starship Captain, but as
a taxi driver, you need much to be desired."

Savaak: "He's so....human"
Spock: "No one is perfect"