[net.politics] Nuclear power: Petr Beckmann

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/18/86)

My principal objections are aimed not at the view that we should
expand the use of nuclear power, but at the grossly simplistic way in
which the extremely complex issues of energy policy have been
presented by some of the nuclear advocates on the net.

A case in point of gross oversimplification of the issues is the
uncritical citation of the pro-nuclear views of Petr Beckmann and
Bernard L. Cohen as if their publications were uncontroversial and
widely accepted.  Let us first consider Beckmann.

Beckmann is an electrical engineer who "went into early retirement in
1981 to devote himself fully to the defense of science, technology
and free enterprise through his monthly journal, *Access to Energy*."
He contributed an article on "Solar Energy and Other `Alternative'
Energy Sources" and one on "Coal" to *The Resourceful Earth:  A
Response to Global 2000*, ed. Julian L. Simon and Herman Kahn (1984).
This volume was reviewed in the February 1985 *Bulletin of the Atomic
Scientists* by the respected biologists Paul and Anne Ehrlich.  Here
is what they said about Beckmann's contributions:

 The remaining three chapters on energy -- two by Petr Beckmann on
 solar energy and coal and one by Bernard Cohen on the hazards of
 nuclear power -- fall squarely into the embarrassingly incompetent or
 deliberately misleading category.  Beckmann begins with a muddled
 discussion of what deserves to be called a "renewable" resource, then
 follows with a flat understatement of average insolation at moderate
 latitude by about a factor of two.  He posits a collection efficiency
 of 0.00008 for biomass, which is about 30 times lower than the
 correct figure for all terrestrial plants, and 60 to 300 times lower
 than the efficiencies achieved by the types of plants used or under
 investigation for energy supply.  The rest of his analysis of
 renewables is of similar quality.

 Beckmann's chapter on coal contains a variety of confused assertions,
 one of which is that "in the United States, for example, the
 fertility rate has dropped below the `Zero Population Growth' level,
 but its population is still expanding." ...

 Beckmann also dashes off one of the least valid comparisons in the
 annals of inept environmental commentary:  "A political campaign has,
 for example, succeeded in frightening the public over a minuscule
 quantity of temporarily toxic nuclear wastes while glossing over an
 annual billion tons (in the US) of coal wastes with an infinite
 lifetime, a considerable part of which is diposed of into the
 atmosphere."

 What billion tons could he be referring to? ... Only a tiny fraction
 [of the overburden removed in surface mining] is either particularly
 toxic or long-lived.  If it is to be included in a coal-nuclear
 comparison, so also must be the voluminous overburden from surface
 mining of uranium and the bulky and toxic tailings from uranium
 mills.  [Paul and Anne Ehrlich]

Richard Carnes

tan@ihlpg.UUCP (Bill Tanenbaum) (07/18/86)

>  [Richard Carnes, (I think quoting from Paul and Anne Ehrlich)]
>  Beckmann's chapter on coal contains a variety of confused assertions,
>  one of which is that "in the United States, for example, the
>  fertility rate has dropped below the `Zero Population Growth' level,
>  but its population is still expanding." ...
-----
Please, Richard, tell me why this assertion is "confused".  If the
fertility rate did drop below the ZPG rate (the rate that, if sustained,
would eventually lead to a stable population), the total population
would still continue to rise for years thereafter because of the initial
age distribution of the population.  This is even without taking into
account immigration into the U. S., which is significant.
	Beckmann's assertion about the fertility rate may be true
or false, but it is clear and consistent.  It looks like the
confusion is elsewhere.  (I think that, in fact, the U. S. fertility
rate did drop below the ZPG level sometime in the 1970's, but I am not
sure.)
--
Bill Tanenbaum - AT&T Bell Labs - Naperville IL  ihnp4!ihlpg!tan

tdh@frog.UUCP (T. Dave Hudson) (07/19/86)

> This volume was reviewed in the February 1985 *Bulletin of the Atomic
> Scientists* by the respected biologists Paul and Anne Ehrlich.  Here
> is what they said about Beckmann's contributions:

>  Beckmann's chapter on coal contains a variety of confused assertions,
>  one of which is that "in the United States, for example, the
>  fertility rate has dropped below the `Zero Population Growth' level,
>  but its population is still expanding." ...

(I don't have the figures.)  It might possibly be a false assertion,
but it is not a confused assertion.  Last I heard, ZPG did not attempt
to take immigration into account.

				David Hudson

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (07/20/86)

In article <529@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>My principal objections are aimed not at the view that we should
>expand the use of nuclear power, but at the grossly simplistic way in
>which the extremely complex issues of energy policy have been
>presented by some of the nuclear advocates on the net.

My principal objections are aimed at the greatly simplistic way that
certain of the anti-nuclear advocates treat the issue of nuclear
energy.  I will get to the gist of the matter, but first things first.

>A case in point of gross oversimplification of the issues is the
>uncritical citation of the pro-nuclear views of Petr Beckmann and
>Bernard L. Cohen as if their publications were uncontroversial and
>widely accepted.  Let us first consider Beckmann.

>Beckmann is an electrical engineer who "went into early retirement in
>1981 to devote himself fully to the defense of science, technology
>and free enterprise through his monthly journal, *Access to Energy*."
>He contributed an article on "Solar Energy and Other `Alternative'
>Energy Sources" and one on "Coal" to *The Resourceful Earth:  A
>Response to Global 2000*, ed. Julian L. Simon and Herman Kahn (1984).
>This volume was reviewed in the February 1985 *Bulletin of the Atomic
>Scientists* by the respected biologists Paul and Anne Ehrlich.  Here
>is what they said about Beckmann's contributions:
>
> Beckmann's chapter on coal contains a variety of confused assertions,
> one of which is that "in the United States, for example, the
> fertility rate has dropped below the `Zero Population Growth' level,
> but its population is still expanding." ...

Now, first lets examine how Mr. Carnes decides to prove that Dr.
Beckman's views are controversial.  I subscribed to the "Bulletin of
the Atomic Scientists" and am well aware of the partisan nature of its
articles.   Yet for those unfamiliar with the Bulletin deserves to be
called a scientific jurnal, can take a look at the Feburary 1976
issue.  There was an article by Frank Church, "Covert Action:
Swampland of American Foreign Policy", "The Week We Almost Went to
War" - (an article about the Cuban missle crisis claiming it was
unnecessary and provoked by the US, etc.)  I am told that this is also
This is also the issue with the poem "National Anathema",
	Oh C.I.A. can you see
	By the Chile down light
	How profoundly you failed
	In your late great scheming....

While maybe it qualifies as interesting reading material, it doesn't
really make it as a scientific journal and is certainly not in the
class of say "The New England Journal of Medicine."

Now the author of this criticism is Paul Ehrlich who Mr. Carnes added
the title "respected biologist."  Mr. Ehrlich's views are so far
afield from the mainstream of science that the title "respected
biologist" should simply be changed to "radical".  This is easy to show for
yourself.  Simply read some of Mr. Ehrlich's numerous books, such as
"Ecoscience", "Population Bomb" or "Population, Resources, Environment."
His lack of understanding seems even more warped by his radical
ideology.  Ehrlich's writing includes such notable quotes as
"Individual rights must be balanced against the power of the
government to control human reproduction.  Some people have the viewed
the right to have children as a fundamental and inalienable right.
Yet neither the Declaration of Independence nor the Consitiution
mentions a right to reproduce."  Another revealing quote is "Several
coercive proposals deserve serious consideration, mainly because we
may ultimately have to resort to them unless current trends in birth
rates are rapidly reversed by other means."  (Admittely later editions
of some of his books try to hide the most Nazi-like statements.)
With the general lack of interest in his doomsday theories, I notice he is now
jumping on the nuclear winter bandwagon.  At any rate, to use your own phrase
Mr. Carnes, I don't need this "Orwellian Horseshit."

Let us proceed though to the comments made by Mr. Ehrlich.

> Beckmann's chapter on coal contains a variety of confused assertions,
> one of which is that "in the United States, for example, the
> fertility rate has dropped below the `Zero Population Growth' level,
> but its population is still expanding." ...

While I am not surprised that Mr. Ehrlich couldn't understand this, I
am a little surprised that you couldn't.  It takes decades for a
change in the fertility rate to affect the population.  Also it is not
only the birth rate that affects the population size.  If the average
life time increases, obviously the population increases.  If
memory serves, the fertility rate in the US is at something like 1.8,
this is below the ZPG level of 2.1.  Therefore as Dr. Beckman writes,
now, the US population is increasing, and it will continue to increase
for some decades yet.  (I am not sure how much immigration is
increasing the population either.  It might be a noticeable variable
increasing the population also.)

> Beckmann also dashes off one of the least valid comparisons in the
> annals of inept environmental commentary:  "A political campaign has,
> for example, succeeded in frightening the public over a minuscule
> quantity of temporarily toxic nuclear wastes while glossing over an
> annual billion tons (in the US) of coal wastes with an infinite
> lifetime, a considerable part of which is diposed of into the
> atmosphere."
>
> What billion tons could he be referring to? ... Only a tiny fraction
> [of the overburden removed in surface mining] is either particularly
> toxic or long-lived.  If it is to be included in a coal-nuclear
> comparison, so also must be the voluminous overburden from surface
> mining of uranium and the bulky and toxic tailings from uranium
> mills.  [Paul and Anne Ehrlich]

Again, Mr. Ehrlich shows his vast knowledge of energy production.  A
1000 megawatt coal plant will generate about 36,500 truckloads of ash
residue in a year.  About 10% of this ash will go up into the
atmosphere.  Coal contains trace elements of radium and thorium
which also is emitted into the atmosphere.  Indeed if the NRC ran
coal plants, they would all have to shut down as they emit far
more radiation than the NRC regulations allow.  The radium-226 in
coal has a half-life of 1620 years and is water soluble and chemically
active.  There are no major provisions (that I know of) to prevent
the poisons in coal ash from being leeched out by rainwater.
The heavy metals in it are poisonous and are probably only
surpassed in danger by the carcinogenic hydrocarbons among
the poisons.  As noted before, the radionuclides in
coal waste are chemically active and water solubile.  Will these
become dangerous if we continue to use coal in the future?
Let future generations worry - it certainly isn't our problem.

Nuclear waste disposal seems trivial in comparison.

(The clever net.reader will recognize the fact that the Ehrlich's
missed the whole point of Beckman's statement.  Is this supposed to
be a valid criticism of Dr. Beckman's work?  Do I have to go on?)
--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs

orb@whuts.UUCP (SEVENER) (07/22/86)

After reading the critical review of Petr Beckman's work on renewable
energy sources, I am not at all surprised that he would write a
tract in the Wall Street Journal about Meselson et al's article
on "Yellow Rain" (i.e. bee feces) which shows either that he never
read the article or that if he did, he chose to totally distort
what the Scientific American article actually said.

The suspicions that Petr Beckman is some sort of misinformed
hack seem confirmed.
                tim sevener  whuxn!orb

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/22/86)

I hope no one took seriously Michael Stein's attack on biologist Paul
Ehrlich, but it should be answered in any case.

>Now the author of this criticism is Paul Ehrlich who Mr. Carnes added
>the title "respected biologist."  Mr. Ehrlich's views are so far
>afield from the mainstream of science that the title "respected
>biologist" should simply be changed to "radical".  This is easy to
>show for yourself.  Simply read some of Mr. Ehrlich's numerous books,
>such as "Ecoscience", "Population Bomb" or "Population, Resources,
>Environment." His lack of understanding seems even more warped by his
>radical ideology.

Paul Ehrlich is Professor of Biological Sciences and Bing Professor
of Population Studies at Stanford University.  He is a member of the
National Academy of Sciences and a fellow of the American Academy of
Arts and Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of
Science.  He is a trustee of the Rocky Mountain Biological
Laboratory, past president of Zero Population Growth, and the
recipient of the Sierra Club's John Muir Award.  His most recent
book, *The Machinery of Nature*, is adorned on its cover with such
review quotes as:

 "The complicated and swiftly moving science of ecology is here
 explained in lucid and entertaining style by one of its foremost
 practitioners.  No one has contributed more broadly than Ehrlich to
 the many basic and applied issues..."  ---Edward O. Wilson

 "Paul Ehrlich is both one of the world's great ecologists and men of
 action.  No one else is so uniquely suited to discuss both the
 technical details and the larger implications of the science of
 ecology."  --Stephen Jay Gould

 "Only a scientist with the credentials of Ehrlich could have written
 this magnificent book." --Robert Ornstein (Stanford psychologist)

In three passages in *The Cold and the Dark*, the report of the
conference on nuclear winter, Ehrlich is described as "distinguished"
by Lewis Thomas, M.D., Thomas Malone, and Carl Sagan.

I am not sure what else Ehrlich has to do to become a "respected
biologist" -- perhaps being elected president of the National Academy
of Sciences and two or three Nobel Prizes might suffice for Mr.
Stein.  "Far afield from the mainstream of science" !

>With the general lack of interest in his
>doomsday theories, I notice he is now jumping on the nuclear winter
>bandwagon.

This snide remark epitomizes Stein's comments.  Ehrlich did not "jump
on the nuclear winter bandwagon"; he was invited by the original
group of scientists investigating nuclear winter, presumably because
of his reputation in the scientific community and his writings on the
survival prospects of the human race, to chair the task force of
twenty prominent biologists who investigated the consequences of
nuclear war for the biosphere.

>Ehrlich's writing includes such notable quotes as
>"Individual rights must be balanced against the power of the
>government to control human reproduction.  Some people have the
>viewed the right to have children as a fundamental and inalienable
>right.  Yet neither the Declaration of Independence nor the
>Consitiution mentions a right to reproduce."  Another revealing quote
>is "Several coercive proposals deserve serious consideration, mainly
>because we may ultimately have to resort to them unless current
>trends in birth rates are rapidly reversed by other means."

Sounds like a real Nazi, doesn't he.

>(Admittely later editions of some of his books try to hide the most
>Nazi-like statements.)

What "Nazi-like statements"?  If you have any serious criticisms of
Ehrlich's views on population, Mr. Stein, by all means let us hear
them, but this sort of cheap innuendo only serves to put you into
discredit.

Richard Carnes

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (07/22/86)

> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes)

> [quoting Paul & Anne Ehrlich]
>  Beckmann's chapter on coal contains a variety of confused assertions,
>  one of which is that "in the United States, for example, the
>  fertility rate has dropped below the `Zero Population Growth' level,
>  but its population is still expanding." ...

What is confused about this?  Seems straightforward to me.
In fact, it seems likely that the Ehrlichs are confused here.

>  "[...] while glossing over an
>  annual billion tons (in the US) of coal wastes with an infinite
>  lifetime, a considerable part of which is diposed of into the
>  atmosphere."
>
>  What billion tons could he be referring to? ... Only a tiny fraction
>  [of the overburden removed in surface mining] is either particularly
>  toxic or long-lived.  If it is to be included in a coal-nuclear
>  comparison, so also must be the voluminous overburden from surface
>  mining of uranium and the bulky and toxic tailings from uranium
>  mills.  [Paul and Anne Ehrlich]

How about the billions of tons of (let us say) carbon dioxide, which may
be damaging the thermal ballance of the whole planet?   And a billion
tons annually doesn't have to be very toxic to be dangerous.  The point
that nuclear wastes, while highly toxic, are small in quantity compared
to those from chemically powered processes is still valid.

I note that I personally don't find nuclear power a panacea, nor to I
agree with Beckmann in all things.  But some of what he has to say is
quite valid, and weak attacks on valid points, such as these, don't do
much to increase the credibility or perceived competence of his
detractors.
--
Wayne Throop      <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (07/30/86)

Our newsfeed has been having manic-depressive episodes lately, so I
am reposting an article.

Congrats to everyone who wrote to explain Paul Ehrlich's alleged
"confusion" concerning an elementary fact about fertility that he has
no doubt been teaching to undergraduates for 25 years in the first
week of "Introduction to Population Biology" -- you have confirmed my
estimate of the net's level of brilliance.  Presumably the same
people, when they read the end of this article, will write to explain
that the eminent ecologist is unaware that CO2 is "absorbed" in
photosynthesis; I assume they would not hesitate, in conversation
with S. J. Gould, to explain to him that dinosaurs were not
contemporaneous with cave men, or point out to Carl Sagan that there
are many more stars than you can see with the naked eye, or explain
to Richard Feynman that protons carry a positive charge.  Sheesh.

I will not have the time or stomach to read the netnews for a long
while at least, so if you want to argue with me please send email.
Following is the text of the reposted article:

>>[Paul & Anne Ehrlich]
>>Beckmann's chapter on coal contains a variety of confused assertions,
>>one of which is that "in the United States, for example, the
>>fertility rate has dropped below the `Zero Population Growth' level,
>>but its population is still expanding." ...
>
>What is confused about this?  Seems straightforward to me.
>In fact, it seems likely that the Ehrlichs are confused here.

"ZPG fertility rate" is not an accepted synonym for "replacement
reproduction", which is apparently what Beckmann is referring to:
that level of the total fertility rate which, sustained for about one
life expectancy, will result in the leveling off of population growth
to ZPG, assuming no net immigration or changes in age-specific vital
rates.  "The TOTAL FERTILITY RATE is the average number of children
each woman would bear during her lifetime if age-specific fertility
remained constant, and a total fertility rate of 2.1 is roughly equal
to an NRR [net reproductive rate] of 1 where typical developed
country death rates prevail."  [P. Ehrlich, A. Ehrlich, and J.P.
Holdren, *Ecoscience*, 2nd ed., p. 218].  In the US, the total
fertility rate has been under the replacement level of 2.1 since
about 1972, at least until about 1983, the last year for which I have
found data.

Nit-picking?  Perhaps, but the quote from Beckmann is found in a book
(*The Resourceful Earth*) that brags about its sophisticated approach
to projections of population and resource phenomena.  Speaking as
former president of ZPG, Paul Ehrlich writes:

  ...these organizations [ZPG and Friends of the Earth] feel that the
  U.S. population should be stabilized, and they rightly view current
  immigration practices as destabilizing.  They believe that there
  should be a national population policy, spelled out and written down,
  and they realize that there can be no coherent population policy that
  does not include an immigration policy.  Eventually, the number of
  people who enter the United States must be balanced by the number
  leaving or by a reduction in fertility.  The sooner this is achieved,
  the better.  The population of the United States has already exceeded
  the optimum if not the maximum for maintaining the kind of life
  Americans expect.  [P. Ehrlich, A. Ehrlich, and L. Bilderback, *The
  Golden Door:  International Migration, Mexico, and the United
  States*, pp. 344-45.]

So it is not clear what "ZPG fertility rate" should mean, if
anything, although it is clear what Beckmann intends by the phrase.
In *Ecoscience*, Ehrlich et al. explain some basic concepts of
demography:

  If age-specific vital rates (birth and death) remain constant, the
  age composition of a population eventually becomes STABLE, a
  situation in which the proportion of people in each age class does
  not change through time.  A population with a stable age composition
  can be growing, shrinking, or constant in size....

  When a population is constant in size, demographers refer to it as
  STATIONARY.  Colloquially, one says that zero population growth has
  been achieved....

  The NRR [net reproductive rate] of a human population is the ratio of
  the number of women in one generation to that in the next.  It is
  calculated by applying the age-specific birth and death rates of the
  population at a given time to a hypothetical group of 1000 newborn
  female babies, determining how many live female babies those females
  would themselves produce, and dividing that number by 1000. ...

  The drop in American fertility to below replacement level between
  1972 and 1975 was popularly interpreted to mean that ZPG had been
  achieved in the United States.  But growth certainly had not
  stopped....

  Demographer Thomas Frejka, using 1965 as a base year, showed what
  could happen to the United States population under a variety of
  assumption.  For instance, instant ZPG could be achieved only by
  reducing the NRR to slightly below 0.6, with an average of about 1.2
  children per family, between 1965 and 1985. ... After that, in order
  to hold the population size constant, the crude birth rate and NRR
  would have to oscillate wildly above and below the eventual
  equilibrium values for several centuries.  The age composition would
  correspondingly change violently, undoubtedly having a variety of
  serious social consequences.

  [These problems] could be avoided by maintaining the 1975 level of
  fertility (slightly below replacement).  This would produce further
  growth, but at a slackening rate.  Disregarding immigration, growth
  would end in about fifty years with a peak population of about 252
  million, and then there would be a slow decline.  Accepting some
  further growth followed by a period of negative population growth,
  rather than attempting to hold the population precisely at ZPG, would
  seem to be much less disruptive.  And ... there are powerful
  arguments for reducing the size of the United States population well
  below its *present* level.... [Ehrlich et al., *Ecoscience*, pp.
  208-14]

Now here are two more confused assertions of Beckmann, according to
the Ehrlichs:

  [Beckmann] also says that deforestation in the Third World could play
  a significant role in reducing the "absorption" of carbon dioxide
  produced by coal burning ("absorption" into what?), and that "high
  labor intensity and troublesome handling" will be "far more decisive"
  in affecting coal use than will be all its environmental problems
  combined.

Richard Carnes

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (08/02/86)

> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes)
>> throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop)

> Congrats to everyone who wrote to explain Paul Ehrlich's alleged
> "confusion" [...] you have confirmed my
> estimate of the net's level of brilliance.

I assume that this estimate is low.  Nevertheless, you have not shown
that Beckmann was confused, merely that he uses "non-standard"
terminology.

Note further:
>>What is confused about this?  Seems straightforward to me.
>>In fact, it seems likely that the Ehrlichs are confused here.

This is supposed to support the conclusion that I'm "explaining"
Ehrlich's confusion?  I merely asserted that, from the snippet you
posted alone, the Ehrlichs *seem* confused, and Beckmann's statement
*seems* quite straightforward.  Again, merely quoting what Beckmann says
and calling it "confused" without providing the analysis is not very
convincing.  In this case, when you provided the analysis, it turned out
that the "confusion" amounted to using a term involving ZPG where one
involving NRR might be more appropriate.  In fact, you yourself say:

> So it is not clear what "ZPG fertility rate" should mean, if
> anything, although it is clear what Beckmann intends by the phrase.

which is just what I was asserting: Beckmann's intended meaning is
clear, and not confused at all.  In terming it "confused" when the
meaning is clear, the Ehrlichs give the appearance of confusion
themselves.

>   [Beckmann] also says that deforestation in the Third World could play
>   a significant role in reducing the "absorption" of carbon dioxide
>   produced by coal burning ("absorption" into what?), and that "high
>   labor intensity and troublesome handling" will be "far more decisive"
>   in affecting coal use than will be all its environmental problems
>   combined.

OK.  I give up.  Why is *this* one confused?  More BS about nonstandard
terminology, despite the use being quite clear and straightforward?
--
Wayne Throop      <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/13/86)

Wayne Throop writes:

>>[My quote from Petr Beckmann:]
>>"A political campaign has, for example, succeeded in frightening the
>>public over a minuscule quantity of temporarily toxic nuclear wastes
>>while glossing over an annual billion tons (in the US) of coal wastes
>>with an infinite lifetime, a considerable part of which is diposed of
>>into the atmosphere."
>
>How about the billions of tons of (let us say) carbon dioxide, which
>may be damaging the thermal ballance of the whole planet?   And a
>billion tons annually doesn't have to be very toxic to be dangerous.

Beckmann speaks of "an annual billion tons (in the US) of coal wastes
with an infinite lifetime...".  CO2 has a quite limited lifetime,
since roughly 1/7 of the atmospheric pool is annually used up in
photosynthesis.  To be sure, CO2 accumulation may pose a severe
threat to the environment, but that is due to the "greenhouse
effect", not to any toxicity of CO2.  CO2 is indeed not very toxic,
because it is not toxic at all, at least anywhere near the ~500 ppm
concentration of it that we breathe.  And sulfur compounds have an
average residence time in the atmosphere of only a few days.  So I am
still looking for the "annual billion tons of coal wastes with an
infinite lifetime".

>The point that nuclear wastes, while highly toxic, are small in
>quantity compared to those from chemically powered processes is still
>valid.

Beckmann's point in the quoted sentence seems to be not merely that
nuclear wastes are small in quantity in comparison to coal wastes,
but that they are comparatively *insignificant* in terms of their
hazards to the public.  He fails to support this assertion with any
argument, at least in the article under discussion (which I have
before me).  If Wayne would like to provide such an argument, I'd be
happy to read it.

>I note that I personally don't find nuclear power a panacea, nor to I
>agree with Beckmann in all things.  But some of what he has to say is
>quite valid, and weak attacks on valid points, such as these, don't
>do much to increase the credibility or perceived competence of his
>detractors.

Beckmann's point here is invalid.  In a previous article I quoted
some of the other criticisms of Beckmann's two articles made by the
Ehrlichs.  They were not trying to write a complete rebuttal to
Beckmann; rather, they were reviewing the book in which his articles
appear (*The Resourceful Earth*, eds. Julian Simon and Herman Kahn).
They judged his contributions to be "embarrassingly incompetent" and
cited a few points to illustrate.  (I'll send Wayne a copy of the
Beckmann articles, if he wants.)

>> [quoting the Ehrlichs]
>>  Responsible analyses of the numbers of deaths attributable to
>>  coal-fired and nuclear electricity generation -- some of which Cohen
>>  cited but apparently did not understand -- indicate that the range of
>>  possibilities for both sources extends from one or two deaths per
>>  plant-year to several tens of deaths per plant-year, depending on
>>  mining practices, power-plant location, pollution-control technology,
>>  and highly uncertain assumptions about dose-response relations and
>>  effects (of both sources) extending millennia into the future.
>
>Right.  Safety of burning coal or fissioning uranium is questionable,
>and, in reality, nobody knows the ultimate dangers of either path,
>though it seems on the surface that they are comparable in terms of
>predictable deaths.  (Isn't that how you read this paragraph?)

No.  The studies are talking about the health risks from the *routine
operation* of nuclear power plants, not the *total* health risks from
nuclear power, which should take into account the possibilities of
catastrophes, sabotage, reactors being struck by bombs, proliferation
of nuclear weapons, etc.  In addition, health risks should not be the
only consideration for energy policy.

>And yet, anti-nukes (in essence) use these facts to "prove" that
>nuclear power is too unsafe to use, and at the same time squawk when
>pro-nukes say that the same data shows that chemical power is too
>unsafe to use.  Lunacy.

That is not what they say.  And many anti-nukes advocate the "soft
energy paths", by which our use of fossil fuels will be reduced while
renewable energy sources are increasingly developed and utilized.

>>[Beckmann] also says that deforestation in the Third World could play
>>a significant role in reducing the "absorption" of carbon dioxide
>>produced by coal burning ("absorption" into what?), and that "high
>>labor intensity and troublesome handling" will be "far more decisive"
>>in affecting coal use than will be all its environmental problems
>>combined.  [Ehrlichs]
>
>OK.  I give up.  Why is *this* one confused?  More BS about
>nonstandard terminology, despite the use being quite clear and
>straightforward?

Since Wayne is quite knowledgeable about biology, I won't venture to
correct him if he asserts that CO2 is absorbed into plants through
the process of photosynthesis.  In a friendly spirit, however, I will
recommend to him an article which I think he would enjoy (Jan W.
could read it with profit):  P.M. Vitousek, P.R. Ehrlich, A.H.
Ehrlich, and P.A. Matson, "Human Appropriation of the Products of
Photosynthesis", *BioScience* 36: 368-373 (June 1986).  Abstract:
Nearly 40% of potential terrestrial net primary productivity is used
directly, co-opted, or foregone because of human activities.

Please send copies of replies by email, as otherwise I may not see
them.

Richard Carnes

throopw@dg_rtp.UUCP (Wayne Throop) (08/16/86)

> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP

> Since Wayne is quite knowledgeable about biology, I won't venture to
> correct him if he asserts that CO2 is absorbed into plants through
> the process of photosynthesis.  In a friendly spirit, however, I will
> recommend to him [some reading matter, omitted]

Well, you don't need to "venture to correct" me since I didn't assert
that CO2 is absorbed into plants through the process of photosynthesis.
Nor did I claim to be "knowledgeable about biology", so the source of
your knowlege of my knowlege is unclear to me.  If your condescending
attitude while misinterpreting what I post is supposed to be "friendly",
I suppose I'd hate to see you irate.

I suppose I'd better be explicit, since Richard seems to think I'm
attempting to *support* Beckmann.

    Q. Do I trust Beckmann's analyses?
    A. No, he too obviously has an axe to grind.

    Q. Do I trust Ehrlich then?
    A. No, he's just grinding the other side of the same axe.

Have a nice day.
--
Wayne Throop      <the-known-world>!mcnc!rti-sel!dg_rtp!throopw

carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) (08/18/86)

[Wayne Throop]
>    Q. Do I trust Beckmann's analyses?
>    A. No, he too obviously has an axe to grind.
>
>    Q. Do I trust Ehrlich then?
>    A. No, he's just grinding the other side of the same axe.

In my postings on nuclear power, I have tried to make the point that
there are knowledgeable and highly intelligent people on both the pro
and the con sides of the issue, and that it is not the case, as some
of the pro-nukes have it, that informed opinion is all on one side
while the lay public that fears nuclear power is uninformed and
hysterical.  I have also pointed out that people who make their
livings directly or indirectly from nuclear power may be biased in
its favor (which is apparently inconceivable to Michael Stein).

Instead of citing the views of scientists who command wide respect,
(Bethe, Weinberg, Weisskopf, Flowers, etc.), some of the pro-nukes
foolishly base their case on the writings of the strident
propagandists Petr Beckmann and Bernard Cohen.  I quoted a biologist
who is highly regarded by his scientific colleagues, Paul Ehrlich, in
a review of some of their work, to give some idea why Beckmann and
Cohen may be regarded as propagandists in the invidious sense.  The
response was ill-judged attacks on Ehrlich.

It is when the lay public reads such claims as "plutonium is only ten
times as toxic as caffeine, and less so than botulin toxin", "after
300 years of waste storage the nuclear industry will be cleaning up
the earth", "there is absolutely no connection between nuclear power
and nuclear weapons", "hundreds of people are condemned to premature
death every time a coal plant is built instead of a nuclear plant",
"most opponents of nuclear power are Luddites who oppose technology
and progress", "Ralph Nader says nuclear reactors can blow up in a
nuclear explosion" (Nader merely echoes the views of nuclear experts
such as Brian Flowers who assert that fast breeders can undergo a
nuclear explosion, although such an event ["Hypothetical Core
Disruptive Accident"] is highly unlikely), "Amory Lovins
misrepresents his educational background" (he doesn't), "there is no
danger worth worrying about from reactor sabotage or theft of
plutonium", "[any of the AEC's notorious lies]", "the NRC is doing
its job and has everything under control", "nuclear power is the
`safest' energy technology", "Chicago must increase its electricity
bills by 30% (with severe consequences for the city's economy) to pay
for several new reactors, even though none of the existing nukes was
used when the record for power output was set in July", or any of the
propaganda generated by the US Committee for Energy Awareness -- when
the public hears this sort of claim, which has been characteristic of
the nuclear industry from the *beginning*, and discovers later that
some of the claims are exaggerated or false, it is small wonder that
the industry loses all credibility in the eyes of the public.  In the
last few weeks you have seen, in the microcosm of the net, a
demonstration of of why the public distrusts nuclear power to such a
degree.

Richard Carnes

dmcanzi@watdcsu.UUCP (David Canzi) (08/19/86)

>>>[Beckmann] also says that deforestation in the Third World could play
>>>a significant role in reducing the "absorption" of carbon dioxide
>>>produced by coal burning ("absorption" into what?), and that "high
>>>labor intensity and troublesome handling" will be "far more decisive"
>>>in affecting coal use than will be all its environmental problems
>>>combined.  [Richard Carnes quoting the Ehrlichs]
>>
>>OK.  I give up.  Why is *this* one confused?  More BS about
>>nonstandard terminology, despite the use being quite clear and
>>straightforward?  [Wayne Throop]
>
>Since Wayne is quite knowledgeable about biology, I won't venture to
>correct him if he asserts that CO2 is absorbed into plants through
>the process of photosynthesis. [Richard Carnes]

No great knowledge of biology is required, this is high-school stuff:
CO2 diffuses into a leaf, photosynthesis consumes the CO2 producing O2,
the O2 diffuses out.  I can't see any other reason why the Ehrlichs
would object to Beckman's words other than this, that "absorption" is a
loose use of terminology.  But if this is the nature of the Ehrlichs'
objection, it's just a pointless nit-pick.  Surely they could restrict
themselves to ridiculing Beckman's *real* mistakes, no?
--
David Canzi

"We believe that all policemen and politicians can be rehabilitated.
	-- Simon Moon

bzs@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Barry Shein) (08/20/86)

Re: Nuclear power and propaganda

I turned on the TV a few weeks ago to see a debate between a representative
for the Seabrook nuclear plant and someone sent by an anti-Seabrook group
(I forget which.)

I couldn't help but notice that the guy the nuke plant sent was under
30, had longish hair and was stylishly dressed. The guy from the anti-nuke
group? You guessed it, 50ish, dowdy, looked like a chamber of commerce
old-boy.

Well, what could I do...I laughed.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University