[net.politics] Nuclear power: Ehrlich

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (08/18/86)

Quote from Dr. Petr Beckmann:

Richard Carnes writes:

>Beckmann speaks of "an annual billion tons (in the US) of coal wastes
>with an infinite lifetime...".  CO2 has a quite limited lifetime,
>since roughly 1/7 of the atmospheric pool is annually used up in
>photosynthesis.  To be sure, CO2 accumulation may pose a severe
>threat to the environment, but that is due to the "greenhouse
>effect", not to any toxicity of CO2.  CO2 is indeed not very toxic,
>because it is not toxic at all, at least anywhere near the ~500 ppm
>concentration of it that we breathe.

Oh please!  Beckman is refering to coal wastes - not CO2 emmissions!!!
We have covered *all* of this before.  Oh well, we shall start again..
One 1000 megawatt coal plant will generate over 35,000 truckloads of
ash that must be disposed of in the environment.  This ash contains
radioactive elements, and not in negligible amounts.  The radium 226 in
coal is long lived with a half-life of over 1500 years. It is also
water soluble and chemically very active.  In total amount these
wastes are greater in radioactivity then nuclear wastes.  Though
by the light of the Double Standard, coal wastes, unlike nuclear
wastes, are dispersed without monitoring or control.

There are no provisions to prevent the poisons in coal ash from
being leached out by rainwater and seeping into the water supply.
The poisonous metals in the sludge such as selenium and mercury
may be even more of a hazard to the public's health then the
radium and thorium.  Of course we can not forget the
carcinogenic hydrocarbons also among the posions in the millions of tons
of sludge.  Will this be dangerous to our great grandchildren
in the coming centurys?  What are the long term effects to the
environment?

Let future generations worry.

>To be sure, CO2 accumulation may pose a severe
>threat to the environment, but that is due to the "greenhouse
>effect", not to any toxicity of CO2

Oh yes, the enormous CO2 emmisions from coal plants are something to
be concerned about also.  It is well known that CO2 levels in the atmosphere
have always been increasing since they started measuring it 30 years ago.
It is just that the health hazards from the CO2 are dwarfed by the
other health hazards from coal.  (Also noone really knows how much of the
extra CO2 is being caused by coal plants.)

Will we find out that in a hundred years, that the enormous emmissions
from coal have done irreparable damage to the environment?

Let future generations worry.

>...So I am
>still looking for the "annual billion tons of coal wastes with an
>infinite lifetime".

And so you have found them.

[Wayne]
>>The point that nuclear wastes, while highly toxic, are small in
>>quantity compared to those from chemically powered processes is still
>>valid.

Absolutey true, in every sence of the word.  A 1000 megawatt nuclear
plant will annually produce 90 cubic *feet* of nuclear wastes that must
be stored.  A 1000 megawatt coal plant will produce thousands of
truckloads of wastes.  They are not even close!

>In a previous article I quoted
>some of the other criticisms of Beckmann's two articles made by the
>Ehrlichs.  They were not trying to write a complete rebuttal to
>Beckmann; rather, they were reviewing the book in which his articles
>appear (*The Resourceful Earth*, eds. Julian Simon and Herman Kahn).
>They judged his contributions to be "embarrassingly incompetent" and
>cited a few points to illustrate.  (I'll send Wayne a copy of the
>Beckmann articles, if he wants.)

As noted here and before in other articles, Ehrlich clearly is
confused about many basic points in the energy debate.  (I will be
happy to mail those articles to anyone.)  If more proof is needed
let us tyrn the clock back to 1974 and the Rasmussen study.
In 1974 the Rasmussen study gave its draft report.  This report
was directed by M.I.T. professor Norman Rasmussen, and involved over
70 man years of effort.  With a total cost of about four million, the
Rasmussen report still today provides about the best study of
reactor safety.  For example, in order to compute health effects
of radiation accidents, over 140,000 combinations of accident
magnitude, weather type, and populations exposed were evaluated.
(The complete Rasmussen Report is several feet thick.)

Once published, Ehrlich immediately said in an interview that
the report, know officially as WASH-1400 "should be called
WHITE-WASH 1400"

Also he made the misleading statement
	"Plutonium, one of the most dangerous substances known to
	man will be produced in prodigious amounts as the number
	of atomic plants increases."

(Once again, we see scaremongering being done about the toxicity of
plutonium.)

It was also energy scholar Ehrlich who once said that nuclear wastes
dumped into a river caused oysters to glow in the dark.

According to to the excerpt from the "Bulletin of the Atomic
Scientists," it was Ehrlich who dismissed a poll of health
physicists, done by Dr. Cohen, on the grounds that they are
partisan and have a conflict of interest.  Most anti-nukes
only try this baiting against nuclear engineers.   Even then,
without proof, it is as morally bankrupt as accusing doctors of having
a conflict of interest. (Since, of course, without disease
they have no business.)  From what I could get out of the
excerpt it appears that Ehrlich is willing to condemn the
entire field of health physics.  This is all the more absurd
when one remembers that a statute of the American Health Physics
Society states that they are:

	...devoted to the protection of man and his environment from
	the harmful effects of radiation.

Oh certainly Ehrlich is better then some of the anti-nukes.  For
example, I doubt he would say that radiation caused AIDS such as
professional anti-nuke Sister Bertel said at a disarmament
conference.  But the obvious point is that if Ehrlich is going
to distance himself from all of the world's authorities on the
energy issue (which according to the excerpt is clearly what he has
done), he can't be considered a very credible source on this
issue.

[Wayne]
>>...Safety of burning coal or fissioning uranium is questionable,
>>and, in reality, nobody knows the ultimate dangers of either path,
>>though it seems on the surface that they are comparable in terms of
>>predictable deaths. ...

Well from what we have learned so far, the risks are not
close to being  comparable.  The routine burning of coal in the
US kills upwards of 40,000 people a year.  This is 40,000 more deaths
then the routine operation of nuclear power plants.  (Only the
worst possible scenarios of the Rasmussen study could account
for this many deaths.)  Coal mining is a more dangerous
occupation then uranium mining, coal mining is more damaging to
the environment than uranium mining,  the routine operation of
coal plants kills thousands and the coal wastes are a great
burden we are throwing onto our future decendents.

>In addition, health risks should not be the
>only consideration for energy policy.

Certainly, I agree completely.  But let us remember that nuclear
is less dependent on unsecure energy producers than either coal
or oil.  Also, there is essentially an infinite supply of fuel
for nuclear power.  Coal and oil have the added disadvantage that we
probably only have a few more centurys of use left available
in this country.  (Thank God, we don't have an infinite supply
of coal.  As an environmentalist, I can not even conceive of
the damage to the environment that would come from burning coal
for another 1000 years..)

>...And many anti-nukes advocate the "soft
>energy paths", by which our use of fossil fuels will be reduced while
>renewable energy sources are increasingly developed and utilized.

As I, and others, have said over and over:  most people who study the
energy issue realize that solar and nuclear are a partner, not a rival.
--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (08/20/86)

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (08/22/86)

In article <551@gargoyle.UUCP> carnes@gargoyle.UUCP (Richard Carnes) writes:
>I have also pointed out that people who make their
>livings directly or indirectly from nuclear power may be biased in
>its favor (which is apparently inconceivable to Michael Stein).

It isn't inconceivable, it is just that it would be nice if you had
something to back up attacks on not only nuclear engineers, but
also all health physicists (whether or not they work in industry).
Nuclear engineering has numerous sub-disaplines so a direct conflict
of interest doesn't exist.  As far as the entire field having  no
professional ethics, remember the American Nuclear Society waited
until 1975 before they endorsed nuclear power.  For *21* years
they refused to endorse it.  Only in 1975 were they satisfied it
was the safest form of power generation.

The supposed conflict of interest between health physics and nuclear
power is even more stretched.  The International Commission of
Radiological Protection (ICRP) was formed in 1928.  The National
Council on Radiation Protection and Measurement (NCRP) was
formed in the United States in 1929.  I'm sure such groups were
only started because of the massive nuclear power industry we
had back in the 1920's.

If there is *any* group of people who might have a conflict of interest
it would be the professional anti-nukes.  In some cases, their income,
their prestige and entire career come from their ideological position
against nuclear energy.

The District Court's decision in the case of Johnson vs US govt, best
illustrates this point (page 92):

	...Dr. Morgan claims that the recognized authorities such as
	UNSCEAR, BEIR, NCRP and ICRP are all wrong because the
	scientists serving on these committees have some vague
	connection with government grants.  Dr. Morgan claims that
	he alone is "completely independent" and objective.  Yet Dr.
	Morgan is working on about 50 radiation cases, and in each he
	is the plaintiffs expert witness.  Indeed, given his $500.00
	per day expert witness fee, one must wonder who is partisan!

The use of such sources as Sternglass, Gofman or Morgan does your case
no credit.

>...some of the pro-nukes
>foolishly base their case on the writings of the strident
>propagandists Petr Beckmann and Bernard Cohen.

Two very important points must be made here:

1.	One of the characteristics of scientific debate is that the
	debate is not one of personalities.  Such groups
	as NCRP, etc.  have spent many hours studying papers that
	reflect many more hours of scientific research on the
	effects of ionizing radiation on human health.  In fields
	where experimentation can be directly applied to hypothesises,
	a consensus eventually emerges from the researchers in
	the field.  Such knowledge eventually emerges written
	up in technical reports.  This is precisely the reason
	that Kenneth Ng, suggested that people should only use
	actual sources and technical reports.  This avoids the
	problems associated with biased interpetations, etc.

	I have seen *NOBODY* who has "based their case" on the writings
	of Dr. Beckman or Dr. Cohen.  Show me one person who has.
	Instead people have argued from OTA reports, studies from
	the NRC, studies from Brookhaven, the TMI commission, etc, etc.
	Speaking for myself, the only physicist I remember personally
	quoting  as a source has been Dr. A. David Rossin, of the
	Public Policy Committee of the American Nuclear Society.

	Although Dr. Cohen has written numerous papers in the
	technical journals, the only paper  referenced by people
	on the net was his work on plutonium toxicity.  Dr. Beckman's
	major work on energy policy  is "The Health Hazards of Not
	Going Nuclear" which is a good introduction that I would
	recommend to anyone interersted in energy issues.  (The
	bibliographic notes list around a hundred other sources for
	those interested in the questions of energy policy.)

2.	While neither individual is central to the debate, I, and
	others, dislike continual ad homien attacks direced against
	people who cannot defend themselves.  For this reason,
	people have wasted a lot of time and effort refutting
	the charges of Ehrlich.  And we are not talking about
	Ehrlich having slight misunderstandings.  He is obviously
	confused about the health risks and waste
	products from coal and formally removed himself from
	scientific opinion in the areas of health physics.  Even after
	all of this, you still persist...   Describing either Beckman
	or Cohen as "strident propagandists" is a cheap
	shot and uncalled for.

>...The response was ill-judged attacks on Ehrlich.

Ehrlich obviously doesn't mind saying things in the popular press that
he wouldn't dare say in a peer reviewed format.  (His absurd claim
that nuclear wastes caused oysters to glow is a good example of this
sort of creative imagination.)  If someone wants to quote one
source as an  expert, one first has to prove his source has
some expertise in the field.

[What follows next are a bunch of quotes from Carnes, starting out with
statements actually made over the net and ending with several that I'm
sure he read somewhere.  I suspect his inclusion of the extra quotes is to
associate people on the net with them.  A few are worthy of
comment.]

>It is when the lay public reads such claims as "plutonium is only ten
>times as toxic as caffeine, and less so than botulin toxin",

It is when scaremongers say that "plutonium is one of the most
dangerous substances known to man" that the public begins to fear.
It isn't surprising when you consider how some activists are so
free with the truth.

>"Ralph Nader says nuclear reactors can blow up in a
>nuclear explosion" (Nader merely echoes the views of nuclear experts
>such as Brian Flowers who assert that fast breeders can undergo a
>nuclear explosion, although such an event ["Hypothetical Core
>Disruptive Accident"] is highly unlikely),...

Completely wrong.  If Nader was actually aware of Flower's work then
he was engaging in deception.  If he was unaware of his work (the most
likely scenario), then he was simply ignorant.

Energy scholar Nader made the following quote back in 1974:

	How many atomic explosions in our cities would you accept
	before deciding that nuclear power is not safe - no
	complexities, just a number!

This was long before breeder reactors were in our cities, since
breeder reactors aren't in US cities today.

>... In the
>last few weeks you have seen, in the microcosm of the net, a
>demonstration of of why the public distrusts nuclear power to such a
>degree.

Poeple have always been concerned about energy supply, high utility
bills and clean air and water.  This is why nuclear power has always
had to pass the environmental impact statements and
public hearings. For the same sorts of reasons, the nuclear
industry has been regulated by the federal government.  Even with
the strident anti-nuclear propaganda from professional activists, the
American public hasn't been very deceived.  Although I haven't
kept up with legal happenings for the last few years, nuclear
power has always been supported by the American public.  Never had the
public voted against nuclear power in any sort of moratorium vote
until that point.   Obviously,  is only the minority of activists that want
to subvert the political process to acheive their own goals.
(I know that I am personally glad that those with no responsibilities
to the people are so willing to speak for the people.)