[net.politics] Nuclear power

mvs@meccts.UUCP (Michael V. Stein) (08/22/86)

[I said ]
>>...With a total cost of about four million, the Rasmussen
>>report still today provides about the best study of reactor safety.

[Long quote from Carnes mentioning the Lewis Report...]
>...Mr. Stein somehow manages to avoid mentioning that (1) the Nuclear
>Regulatory Commission [NRC], the body that had commissioned the
>Rasmussen Report, repudiated the Report's Executive Summary in
>January 1979 and stated that it no longer considered the Report's
>risk elements reliable; ...

Although the Lewis Report rejected the *executive* summary of the
WASH 1400, they also said:

	Despite its shortcomings, WASH-1400 provides at this time the
	most complete picture of accident probabilities associated
	with nuclear reactors.  The fault tree/event tree approach
	coupled with an adequate data base is the best available tool
	with which to quantify these probabilities.

This is exactly why I said what I did.

>To conclude my contributions to this debate, I append some quotes:

[What follows next is a quote by Beckman essentially espousing the
theory that the best way of preventing a war is to be prepared for
the possibility.]

I am certain that Beckman's views on defense are influenced by the
fact that he is an escaped scientist from the communist regime of
Czechoslovakia.  Yet your views, or Beckman's views, on defense
have *no* relevance to a discussion of the risks associated with
electrical power sources.

[Excerpted quote by Cohen, showing his and other scientists
frustration when dealing with professional activists..]

In responce, Carnes writes:
> ...But scientific-technical debates are not decided by taking a poll of
> the experts, as Cohen seems to want; nor should public policy issues
> affecting millions be decided by handing the decision over to an
> elite of experts and sidestepping democracy, as he also seems to
> want.

Get serious. Cohen is not saying that energy decisions should be
left to physicists.  Instead his frustration is with the political
opportunism on the nuclear power issue.  This frustration is most
keenly felt by those in the field who try and contribute to the
public debate.  As Dr. A. David Rossin of the American Nuclear
Society writes:

	Skepticism is healthy.  I believe our nation is far better off
	than it was, because over the past three decades children have
	been encouraged to question.  Blind acceptance is a thing of
	the past.

	But blind oppostion is arrogant and just dangerous as
	blind acceptance, perhaps more so.  If there is a maturity to
	public debate on nuclear power, it will become evident when
	the public, and more important, the media who provide them
	with information, openly apply the same level of skepticism to
	the anti-nuclear activists as they do to the nuclear industry.

Again, the debate is on the risks of energy production.  The debate
*isn't* on the maturity level of the nuclear debate.

This next quote I had better include in its entirity:

> "[From the fact that the US population will continue to grow for some
> decades] it is often quite wrongly concluded that there is a
> population explosion in the US.  This is like fearing a flood because
> the river level is still slowly rising after the spring run-off, when
> a look at the dry mountains would reveal that what is really
> threatening is a drought." --Beckmann, quoted by Tom Bethell in
> *National Review*.  [Get serious.  If the current below-replacement
> fertility remains constant, the US will remain overpopulated (given
> current consumption patterns) for well over a century, for the US
> population will continue to consume its environmental and ecological
> capital at an increasing rate for decades and inflict much more
> environmental damage per additional person than the typical
> additional Indian or African.  Yet Beckmann is worried about
> *underpopulation*, even though no one can predict what will happen to
> fertility rates, much less that they will remain below replacement.]

I wonder if you even bothered to read the above quote before writing
it down.  Beckman is stating that the fertility rate is the key,
not population trends.  Population trends are merely the effect
and are not the important issue.  He certainly isn't saying
that underpopulation is a problem...

Of course the point is that even if what you are saying was true,
it still has *no* relevance to this debate.

[Final polemic by Carnes is a quote by someone named Bethel that there
is little factual support for evolution.]

I thought it was funny when people argued for the end of American
nuclear power when the Chernobyl accident occurred.  Now I guess
Mr. Carnes is arguing that because someone doesn't believe in
evolution that we should end nuclear power!

From the very first message written on nuclear energy, I and others
have asked for evidence showing how either coal or oil are safer than
nuclear power.  I have not seen any such arguments.  Instead we have
dealt with side issues.

The first major argument was that commercial nuclear power was
inexorably linked with nuclear weapons.  As has been shown, this is
not very valid.  There are about eight ways of enriching nuclear fuel
and reprocessing spent fuel rods is the most difficult.  This is
why *none* of the countries with atomic weapons got the
"bomb" from a commercial nuclear reactor.  In fact they all seem
to have built research reactors to get their plutonium.

The next major point was the toxicity of plutonium.  Although there
are plenty of sensationalism about the dangers of plutonium, the truth
is that it is a  hazardous material, like many, that we deal with in our
society.  One advantage of it is that, since it is slightly
radioactive, very small amounts of it can be detected.

When these two major points died down, Mr. Carnes went on the
offensive with direct personal attacks on Dr. Beckman and Dr. Cohen
and indirect personal attacks on anyone else who opposed his will.
Hoping to later claim that the entire energy debate for the world
centers around the work of these two researchers, he tried
discrediting them.  Thus, people  have had to waste several hours
writing messages to refute some strange energy claims from Ehrlich.
(As I have had to show in nauseating detail, Ehrlich
can hardly be considered an expert on energy issues.)

I certainly wish that the nuclear issue did not have to be so polarized.
Nuclear power is not an all or nothing answer.  Nuclear power is
simply an energy source.  The best empirical and theoretical knowledge
we have is that it is far safer than the alternatives of coal or oil.
(By safer, I mean safer in mining, transportation, routine operation
and waste disposal.)

This fear of "nuclear" is unfortunately  extending to other areas.
(There have been proposals to change the name of the medical technique
of "nuclear magnetic resonanse" to magnetic resonance - which is
an inaccurate title.)

But as Richard Carnes has noted, safety should not be the only criteria
deciding energy policy.  As the United States  learned in the 1970's
having your energy sources controlled by non-friendly countries
is a dangerous path to follow.  The coal miners strike
several years ago, did not cripple this country precisely because we
had sources of power like nuclear that weren't dependent on their control.

Sometimes the environmental impact of attaining the fuel source
is very costly, such as with coal.  Some fuels are volatible and
can explode with *mind-boggling* force - this is a clear risk
when dealing with liquidified natural gas.  Other fuels have
only a limited span before we run out of all known reserves.
All of these sorts of issues have to come into play when discussing
energy policy, and I wish we could have gotten into them more here...
--
Michael V. Stein
Minnesota Educational Computing Corporation - Technical Services

UUCP	ihnp4!dicome!meccts!mvs