[ut.general] A Mac with a laserprinter, anywhere?

orponen@ai.toronto.edu (Pekka Orponen) (02/09/89)

I would like to print out this paper I have written
on my home Macintosh. Is there a Mac with an attached
laserprinter somewhere at this university that I could
use?

tjhorton@csri.toronto.edu (Tim Horton) (02/10/89)

(Pekka Orponen) writes:
>I would like to print out this paper I have written on my home Macintosh.
>Is there a Mac with an attached laserprinter somewhere at this university
>that I could use?

This is a common enough question, so I thought I should post.

1. UTCS micro lab, which *was* at Koffler Center, room 204(?) last year, though
some of that stuff has moved around lately.  Call 978-HELP to find out for sure.
They have both 300 dpi (normal) and 1200 dpi (ultra-high resolution) postscript
printers.

(If it's still where it was, just go up the south stairs to the 3rd floor,
left at the computer store, snake around a bit, and the lab is on your right)

2.  Didn't the SAC office just put together a laserwriter center of some sort?
I saw a few articles on the front of the Varsity.  Call SAC and ask.  It was
going to cost money to use, but supposedly not much.

3.  The Copy Network, 203A College at St. George, 979-COPY, used to charge
$10 to $15 per hour (in 1/4 hour increments) for access through a mac, and
about a buck a page for 300dpi printing.  They also have 1200dpi printing.
I've dealt with them a lot, and they will sometimes help you out quite a bit,
plus they have all sorts of other interesting services, and they're nearby.
But it costs.

Or try the places nearby along College, or just over past Spadina on College.
There's more and more of them around.

4.  There are some macs and printers on one of the upper floors (14th?) of the
Robart's library, at the Center for Computing in Humanities.  I never bothered
to try it.  I think there used to be some difficulty actually using a
laserprinter.

5. Within the comp sci department, it used to be possible to upload postscript
files to the unix network, in order to print them on any of the dept
laserwriters around the dept.  But there were some problems with viruses on
the macs available in the graphics lab, and they've shut down general access.

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (02/10/89)

In article <8902100919.AA01797@dixon.csri.toronto.edu> tjhorton@csri.toronto.edu (Tim Horton) writes:
>1. UTCS micro lab, which *was* at Koffler Center, room 204(?) last year, though
>some of that stuff has moved around lately.  Call 978-HELP to find out for sure.
>They have both 300 dpi (normal) and 1200 dpi (ultra-high resolution) postscript
>printers.
>
>(If it's still where it was, just go up the south stairs to the 3rd floor,
>left at the computer store, snake around a bit, and the lab is on your right)

It's now at 4 Bancroft (by the GSU) on the second floor.  You can
finally get to it from the east again (rather than having to go via
Spadina) but you have to use a driveway through that new building on
Huron, just by Russell.
--
Eugene Fiume
Dynamic Graphics Project

andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Andy Toy, Applications Support Group) (02/10/89)

In article <89Feb9.145955est.38078@neat.ai.toronto.edu> orponen@ai.toronto.edu (Pekka Orponen) writes:
>I would like to print out this paper I have written
>on my home Macintosh. Is there a Mac with an attached
>laserprinter somewhere at this university that I could
>use?

Sure, it's in Math and Computer room 1063 here at UW :-)
--
Andy Toy, Department of Computing Services,       andytoy@watdcsu.UWaterloo.CA
University of Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA           andytoy@watdcsu.waterloo.edu