[ut.general] Strike

kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) (02/25/89)

So I hear that your grad students and TAs are on strike now...
I was wondering why I hadn't seen anything posted to this newsgroup
concerning such an important event...

Or are you strikers outside picketing and making mega-$$$ instead of
reading this?  :)

---------------------------------------
Kim Nguyen (kim@watsup.waterloo.edu)
Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

In article <8291@watcgl.waterloo.edu> kim@watsup.waterloo.edu (Kim Nguyen) writes:
>So I hear that your grad students and TAs are on strike now...
>I was wondering why I hadn't seen anything posted to this newsgroup
>concerning such an important event...

One reason is that the science and engineering departments -- where the
bulk of the Usenet readers are -- generally treat their TAs better than
places like the English department.  The real enthusiasm for the strike
is in parts of the university that are too backward to have networks.
--
The Earth is our mother;       |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
our nine months are up.        | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

harrison@utfyzx.uucp (David Harrison) (02/27/89)

In article <1989Feb26.032807.14902@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>One reason [why there have been no postings about the T.A. strike] is
> that the science and engineering departments ...  generally treat their
> TAs better than places like the English department.

True I think.

>The real enthusiasm for the strike
>is in parts of the university that are too backward to have networks.

And yet at least in Physics virtually 100% of our T.A.'s went out too.
Given the perjorative nature of words like "scab", perhaps some
feelings about democracy since the majority voted in favour of the
strike, etc. this is not surprising to me.  But some people in Physics
are quite disappointed that our people went out since we really do
try to treat our T.A.'s as well as possible given our financial
constraints.
--
David Harrison, Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Toronto |  "Space and time are
UUCP: {utgpu,sq,oscvax}!utfyzx!harrison            |   adverbs"

tap@ai.toronto.edu (Tony Plate) (02/27/89)

In article <1989Feb26.184553.19463@utfyzx.uucp> harrison@utfyzx.UUCP (David Harrison) writes:
>					But some people in Physics
>are quite disappointed that our people went out since we really do
>try to treat our T.A.'s as well as possible given our financial
>constraints.

  Some TA's who feel they are treated very well by their department are on
strike.  I feel that to not go on strike would be saying ``I'm OK, so F***
you, Jack'' to the TA's in other departments.  It's not just the fear of
being called a scab.  I'm not striking against my department, I'm striking
against the administration, and I really appreciate any support (even just
understanding) from my department in this strike (not alot seems to be
forthcoming, but maybe that's too hasty a judgement).
  This strike creates a real conflict of loyalties for TA's in departments
which treat TA's well (at least for those who believe the union has a case
and who feel some loyalty to the other TA's in the university).  I've no
desire to hurt my department or its faculty, and I hope that they don't take
my striking as an action directed against them.  I also intensly dislike
deserting my students just around mid-term time.
  So, those who "really do try to treat our T.A.'s as well as possible":
don't take the strike personally, and if you feel any support for the
position of the union and its striking tutors, express it.

Tony Plate
(Department of Computer Science)

--
---------------- Tony Plate ----------------------  tap@ai.utoronto.ca -----
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,

clarke@csri.toronto.edu (Jim Clarke) (02/27/89)

In article <89Feb27.021748est.10863@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> tap@ai.toronto.edu (Tony Plate) writes:
>  Some TA's who feel they are treated very well by their department are on
>strike.  I feel that to not go on strike would be saying ``I'm OK, so F***
>you, Jack'' to the TA's in other departments.  It's not just the fear of
>being called a scab.  I'm not striking against my department, I'm striking
>against the administration, and I really appreciate any support (even just
>understanding) from my department in this strike (not alot seems to be
>forthcoming, but maybe that's too hasty a judgement).

As the person who hires TA's in Computer Science -- the department referred
to -- I think I have to say something here.  What I have to say is that,
first, I don't think I *do* "support the strike"; that is, I don't think
I want the union to get what it's asking for.  But, secondly, I haven't
had to make the same decision the TA's have done, about whether or not to
go on strike, and anyway I am of course in a different position from a TA,
so I think I might rationally come to a different conclusion about the strike.
But I can't see any reason for either of us to think the worse of the other.

Or, if you like, I can try to treat you right without agreeing with you,
and you can be grateful if you want while thinking I really haven't
considered the issues very carefully.
--
Jim Clarke -- Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4
              (416) 978-4058

elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) (02/27/89)

In article <89Feb27.021748est.10863@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> tap@ai.toronto.edu (Tony Plate) writes:
>  So, those who "really do try to treat our T.A.'s as well as possible":
>don't take the strike personally, and if you feel any support for the
>position of the union and its striking tutors, express it.

Without expressing an opinion on the worthiness of this strike, might I point
out that it is hard not to take the strike personally when my mail cannot
be delivered or when my car (and my temper) is forced to overheat waiting
for picketers to deign to let me through?  I also point out that this
behaviour creates ill will where none existed previously.
--
Eugene Fiume
Dynamic Graphics Project

doc@dgp.toronto.edu (Blaine Price) (02/27/89)

In article <8902271547.AA15546@explorer.dgp.toronto.edu> elf@dgp.toronto.edu (Eugene Fiume) writes:
>Without expressing an opinion on the worthiness of this strike, might I point
>out that it is hard not to take the strike personally when my mail cannot
>be delivered or when my car (and my temper) is forced to overheat waiting
>for picketers to deign to let me through?  I also point out that this
>behaviour creates ill will where none existed previously.

I'm definately no expert on the law pertaining to this, but don't the picketers
have the right to do what they are doing?  Under the law as I understand it,
they are moving (so they aren't "loitering") and they are moving across normal
pedestrian paths.  The fact that they happen to decide to turn around upon
reaching the other edge of the road and turn back is a matter of freedom of
choice which just happens to inconvenience vehicular traffic (but pedestrians
do have right of way in this province, right).  So if the presence of the
picketers bothers you, should you not complain to the University
administration, since they are responsible for ensuring that your access to
the university is not impaired?

I've actually been quite curious as to the legal position of picketers
since the beginning of this...are there any law keeners out there who know
the answer?

--
Blaine Price  (416) 978-6619, fax: 4765         doc@dgp.utoronto.{ca,bitnet}
Dynamic Graphics Project, Dept. of Computer Sci.         doc@dgp.toronto.edu

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (02/27/89)

In article <89Feb27.021748est.10863@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> tap@ai.toronto.edu (Tony Plate) writes:
>... I'm not striking against my department, I'm striking
>against the administration...
>...I've no
>desire to hurt my department or its faculty, and I hope that they don't take
>my striking as an action directed against them.  I also intensly dislike
>deserting my students just around mid-term time.

Although the TAs may be striking 'against the administration', the people
hurting the most are students. I know. I'm an undergraduate student. I've had
my tutorials cancelled. I've had my access to classes blocked by picket lines.
I've had tutors refuse to talk to me about academics. But I'm not nearly
as affected as some of my friends, who feel completely lost.

Do the TAs realize that they are playing with our lives? Our careers? Our
futures?

In numerous gangster movies, I've seen portrayals of mafioso hurting
kids because of a dispute with their parents. In this strike,
the TAs are hurting students because of a dispute with the administration.

If you are truly concerned about your students, go back to work. Please?

>---------------- Tony Plate ----------------------  tap@ai.utoronto.ca -----
>Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,
>10 Kings College Road, Toronto,
>Ontario, CANADA M5S 1A4

John
John DiMarco	* We will live in the light *	jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
jdd@db.toronto.edu 	jdd@db.utoronto.ca	jdd.db.toronto.cdn
{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax!utcsri,decwrl!utcsri}!db!jdd	jdd.utcsri.UUCP

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (02/27/89)

> ... perhaps some
>feelings about democracy since the majority voted in favour of the
>strike, etc. ...

Yes, but I recall the margin was 58% in favour, which I don't
consider an overwhelming mandate.

nixon@ai.toronto.edu (Brian Nixon) (02/27/89)

Two points:

1. It's fairly clear that students with departmental support (who are more
   frequent in the sciences) are not going to be personally as concerned with
   financial issues.  E.g., with a $10 000 RA and $2 000 TA, people are not
   going to quibble whether their total income is $12 000 or $12 250.

2. It has been noted that some science departments (e.g., PHY, CSC) try to
   build a good relationship with TAs.  So if it is not already happening,
   perhaps it would be a good idea for some of these departments to share
   their management expertise with other departments, so that the campus-wide
   situation is improved in the non-monetary areas.

Brian.

lamy@ai.toronto.edu (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/27/89)

| [...]							In this strike,
|the TAs are hurting students because of a dispute with the administration.
| If you are truly concerned about your students, go back to work. Please?

In the interest of fairness, can I ask why you did not feel it necessary to
admonish the administration with something like: "If you are truly concerned
about the students, go think about your position.  Please?".  There are at
least two parties in most disputes...

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (03/11/89)

I seem to have stirred up some deeply held opinions. But I'm not nearly
as irrational as Gerard seems to suggest.

I'll be glad to continue this discussion if Gerard would like to repost his
objections a little more calmly. But since the strike seems to be resolved
now, perhaps the issue should be dropped.

tap@ai.toronto.edu (Tony Plate) (03/13/89)

In article <89Mar13.102317est.9395@ois.db.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:

>In any case, the University is a victim of underfunding, not a cause. Striking
>against the University doesn't seem to be a good way to tackle problems
>whose root causes are underfunding.

Suppose that the university is a victim of underfunding, AND that this
necessitates cutting back on TA's.  (I don't accept that this conjunction is
true, but suppose it is).  Then, if the university community meekly accepts
this without any internal and publically visible dissension, it sends a
message to the govt that the underfunding is OK, and well, maybe the
universities were overfunded before.  However, if there is alot of strife
and fighting about the allocation of the insufficient funds, then this sends
a message that the underfunding is not OK.

Now, obviously there *might* be better ways of sending such messages, so
suggest them, don't just flame me about being a heartless TA willing to
sacrifice countless ugrads lives just so I can afford eat caviar while
relaxing in my jacuzzi doing my 15 minutes per semester of marking.

Tony Plate

--

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (03/13/89)

In article <1989Mar10.161738.19609@utzoo.uucp> henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer) writes:
>In article <89Mar9.140218est.9394@ois.db.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:
>>>... Nobody has actually tried to
>>>DO anything about it until this strike, though.
>>
>>Rubbish. What about underfunding rallies? What about the pressure on the
>>provincial government that is being applied from all quarters of the
>>University on the issue of underfunding? ...
>
>What about them?  They don't seem to be accomplishing diddly-squat.

Note the 'tried to do anything' above. Whether or not underfunding rallies
work, they most certainly are attempts to 'do something'. That's the only point
I was trying to make.

In any case, the University is a victim of underfunding, not a cause. Striking
against the University doesn't seem to be a good way to tackle problems
whose root causes are underfunding.

>--
>Welcome to Mars!  Your         |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
>passport and visa, comrade?    | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

John DiMarco	* We will live in the light *	jdd%db.toronto.edu@relay.cs.net
jdd@db.toronto.edu 	jdd@db.utoronto.ca	jdd.db.toronto.cdn
{uunet!utai,watmath!utai,decvax!utcsri,decwrl!utcsri}!db!jdd	jdd.utcsri.UUCP

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (03/14/89)

[ warning: a somewhat bitter and overly general assessment of the 3 Canadian
  Universities I have attended, worked for, or taught at. ]

Asserting that a university is not responsible for large class sizes is
preposterous.

Even though funding is partially a function of enrolment, there comes a point
where either resources must be added or enrolment cut, else quality of
education will suffer.  But university administrators often get blinkered by
their budget, and too little attention is paid higher up to things like
teaching ability or adequacy of classrooms.  If you have a warm body at the
blackboard and a door number to put in the time table, all is fine, and the
more bodies on the chairs, the more money you get to feed a top-heavy
administration that sometimes forgets it was put in place to serve students,
teachers and researchers instead of perpetuating itself.

[ ouf. ]

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (03/14/89)

In article <89Mar13.135431est.11011@ephemeral.ai.toronto.edu> tap@ai.toronto.edu (Tony Plate) writes:
>				...if there is alot of strife
>and fighting about the allocation of the insufficient funds, then this sends
>a message that the underfunding is not OK.

Perhaps. But this labour dispute was limited to the university itself; it
didn't directly affect the government. The government has a tendancy to
ignore such things.

>Now, obviously there *might* be better ways of sending such messages, so
>suggest them, don't just flame me about being a heartless TA willing to
>sacrifice countless ugrads lives just so I can afford eat caviar while
>relaxing in my jacuzzi doing my 15 minutes per semester of marking.

OK... how about picketing Queen's Park for a week? That would send a much
clearer message to the government about our concerns re: underfunding. And
this time, I'll be glad to walk the picket line.
	BTW, could you spare a pound or two of caviar? :-)

>Tony Plate
>
>--
>---------------- Tony Plate ----------------------  tap@ai.utoronto.ca -----
>Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto,
>10 Kings College Road, Toronto,
>Ontario, CANADA M5S 1A4

John DiMarco

In article <89Mar13.230408est.38098@neat.ai.toronto.edu> lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) writes:

>Asserting that a university is not responsible for large class sizes is
>preposterous.
>
>          ...But university administrators often get blinkered by
>their budget, and too little attention is paid higher up to things like
>teaching ability or adequacy of classrooms.

There seems to be a direct historical correlation between underfunding and
things like class size. That suggests that what the administration claims
is correct: i.e. classes are large because of underfunding. You seem to be
suggesting that the reason we have such large classes is that the administration
just isn't concerned about class size. I think it more likely that the
administration is concerned about class size, but doesn't have the financial
means to do anything about it.
	This university's finances have been insufficient for a while.
Rather than blame the administration for the effects of this, I think it is
wiser to blame the government which is starving the university.

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (03/14/89)

In article <89Mar13.102317est.9395@ois.db.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:
>In any case, the University is a victim of underfunding, not a cause. Striking
>against the University doesn't seem to be a good way to tackle problems
>whose root causes are underfunding.

I have heard this argument many times.  The University of Toronto IS
underfunded.  I think that we all agree.  It is not nearly as poorly
funded, however, as they would like you to believe.  In January, it
was announced that UofT had a 2.2 million dollar budgetary surplus.
That isn't a lot of money, I realize, but it would certainly be
preferable to spend that money on, say, education than administration.
This is the key problem.  The university has an enormous budget,
a budget which could easily be used to hire more faculty and more
TAs, a budget which could easily be used to further the cause of
education on this campus.  Far too small a fraction of it actually
winds up being used for that, though.  Underfunding is an issue,
but budget allocation is perhaps a more serious issue.  We would
all be just a little bit better off if President Connell had not
spent so very much money on redecorating his office.

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") (03/15/89)

In article <744@helios.toronto.edu> dooley@helios.UUCP (Kevin Dooley) writes:
>					...It is not nearly as poorly
>funded, however, as they would like you to believe.  In January, it
>was announced that UofT had a 2.2 million dollar budgetary surplus.
>That isn't a lot of money, I realize, but it would certainly be
>preferable to spend that money on, say, education than administration.
Every year, the university has either a budgetary surplus or a deficit.
This year, it just happened to be a surplus, and not a very large one, either.
Last year, the university had a deficit of roughly the same order of magnitude
as this year's surplus. It's not a good idea to count on a share of surplus
money; would you like to cough up some cash in a deficit year?
	I don't know how this surplus is being spent. Why do you think that
it is being spent on administration? Perhaps you know something I don't.

>This is the key problem.  The university has an enormous budget,
>a budget which could easily be used to hire more faculty and more
>TAs, a budget which could easily be used to further the cause of
>education on this campus.  Far too small a fraction of it actually
>winds up being used for that, though.  Underfunding is an issue,
>but budget allocation is perhaps a more serious issue.
Is there any evidence that allocation is as severe a problem as you allege?
What are the figures? How do you know that the administration is keeping
for themselves a larger slice of the budgetary pie than they should keep?

>                                                       ...We would
>all be just a little bit better off if President Connell had not
>spent so very much money on redecorating his office.
How do you know his office didn't need redecorating? How much money was spent?
If you allege there is waste, give facts.

flaps@dgp.toronto.edu (Alan J Rosenthal) (03/16/89)

jdd@db.toronto.edu ("John D. DiMarco") writes:
>OK... how about picketing Queen's Park for a week? That would send a much
>clearer message to the government about our concerns re: underfunding. And
>this time, I'll be glad to walk the picket line.

I don't believe you.  There have been demonstrations at Queen's Park about
underfunding before.  Have you ever attended one?