>From: smithw@yvax.byu.edu
Newsgroups: sci.math.symbolic
Subject: Univ. of Toronto ports macsyma to MIPS ?
Date: 12 May 89 19:52:17 GMT

I understand that the Univ. of Toronto people (I would like some more
information on this) have ported Macsyma to the MIPS machines.
Some one out there tell me who to get in touch with about this.  Anyone
have specs on how it runs.  The MIPS machine seems to be really fast for
the price (M/120 -15mip machine-educational price 15K right now).

Bill Smith
(smithw@yvax.byu.edu)
I don't speak for anyone and nobody speaks for me (sob).

--
 Ruth Milner          UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!sysruth
 Systems Manager      BITNET - sysruth@utorphys

dooley@helios.toronto.edu (Kevin Dooley) (05/24/89)

In article <805@helios.toronto.edu> sysruth@helios.physics.utoronto.ca (Ruth Milner) writes:
>This appeared recently on sci.math.symbolic. I don't know how many of you
>read this regularly, so I thought I would repost it to this list in case
>anyone could help this fellow.
>----------------
>I understand that the Univ. of Toronto people (I would like some more
>information on this) have ported Macsyma to the MIPS machines.
>Some one out there tell me who to get in touch with about this.
> [...]
>Bill Smith

Our group here in physics is considering buying this same machine.
We would be grateful if anybody who knows anything about this package
or any other symbolic manipulation software for MIPS hardware could
e-mail me a synopsis of what you know.  We would actually prefer
REDUCE over Macsyma because of its simpler handling of tensor
equations and Dirac matrices, but please send me anything you have.
Presumably, if there are people here who have been doing such work
for MIPS hardware, you must have some experience with the machine
itself as well.  What are your impressions?  How well does it work
in a multiuser environment?  How much maintenance does it require?
etc.

Thanks in advance,
Kevin Dooley

--
 Kevin Dooley         UUCP - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!helios.physics!dooley
 Physics Dept.        BITNET - dooley@utorphys