[ut.general] ClariNet subscription

lamy@cs.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (02/01/90)

gamiddon@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:

>Part of the delay occurs here.  ClariNet is low-priority news for us, and is
>batched less frequently than other categories.

UofT could get it from Concordia over NNTP, which gets it from uunet over
NNTP as well.  One would assume that ClariNet feeds uunet without much delay.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@cs.utoronto.ca, uunet!cs.utoronto.ca!lamy
Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

gamiddon@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (02/01/90)

In article <1990Jan31.091818.4466@me.toronto.edu> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick - clari) writes:
> - I don't know how it will get here (i.e. transmission).  That's up to
> ClariNet to decide.  The freebie in January took about 4-5
> hours to reach this department (which is 5 minutes behind utgpu).  Is
> that considered slow?  I don't know.

I don't think the delay is always like this.  For example, the article with
Message-ID <Ubush-nato_a8@clarinet.com> in clari.news.military is dated
6:28:05 this morning; clarinet called us at 08:09, the article was installed
here at maytag at 08:44, and at ai.toronto.edu at 09:15.

In article <1990Jan31.091818.4466@me.toronto.edu> eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick - clari) writes:
>... The freebie in January took about 4-5
>hours to reach this department (which is 5 minutes behind utgpu).  Is
>that considered slow?  I don't know.

That is lightning-like speed by the standards of only a few years ago.
Don't worry about it.  Very few people care whether the news they read
arrives in a few minutes or a few hours.
--
1972: Saturn V #15 flight-ready|     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
1990: birds nesting in engines | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bstempleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Brad Templeton) (02/02/90)

I am surprised at a 4-5 hour figure.  We batch to UW every hour, so
the average delay to there should be 30 minutes.   Unless there are problems
dialing in.

Other delays can come from CPU load etc.  There is a 56kbit link to
Toronto, so this is not using a significant part of that bandwidth.
(1 meg is 3 minutes/day of that bandwidth)

If you want to delay news, Clarinet news is prioritized, so that the
top stories go through quickly and the others can take their time.

Putting clari.news.{bulletin,urgent,top,briefs,flash} in a fast
category, along with clari.tw (just because tech news is popular) and
clari.canada in a fast category would result in very fast delivery of
breaking news, and cheap deliverty of the remaining bulk.

RIght here, of course, I get it right from the satellite, and I found
that handy during baseball season, since I get game stories within a
few minutes of the close of the game.  The globe and mail that comes
to Waterloo is a pain, as it closes before ballgames end.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software, Waterloo, Ont. (519) 884-7473

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (02/03/90)

bstempleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Brad Templeton) writes:
>I am surprised at a 4-5 hour figure.  We batch to UW every hour, so
>the average delay to there should be 30 minutes.   Unless there are problems
>dialing in.

Perhaps the 4-5 hour figure is a bit too long.  That's what I first
noticed in the beginning of January as I watched clari trickle in.
It might be different now (as Guy mentioned).

>RIght here, of course, I get it right from the satellite, and I found
>that handy during baseball season, since I get game stories within a
>few minutes of the close of the game.

Lucky guy.  I'll have to get myself one of those for the cottage. :-)
--
Doug Eastick -- eastick@me.utoronto.ca