[ut.general] ClariNet subscription -- RESULTS

eastick@me.utoronto.ca (Doug Eastick) (02/05/90)

I wrote:
>Now that an end is near, it would be sensible to talk about
>subscribing to ClariNet.  First, does UofT want it?  If you, as a
>user, do send me mail saying "I want clari", or "I don't want clari."

Well, I got a whopping response of 19 replies, plus 3 oral replies as
people caught me in the hallways.  Results:

Want ClariNet:		21
Don't want ClariNet:	 1

Who will pay for it?  Well 3 people said they would NOT pay for it,
and 2 said they WOULD pay for it if someone was to collect money (!).
Several people suggested that UTCS should/could pay, but I haven't
contacted them, and they haven't contacted me.  I only did this poll
to see if there was an interest.  Someone else (with $$) may wish
to pursue this further.  Again, the price was (around) C$250/month
for the whole campus.

Interesting quotes:
	"I don't want clari.  It's lousier than TV news."

	"I like it, but I'm not sure if it's worth money."

	"I like the Eastern Europe news." [From a Czech (sp?)]

	"Where's the Kinsey sex features?"

	"The phonetic spellings from Broadcast News are amusing.
	I though people in radio were quite literate?"

BTW, I'd like thank Brad for giving us the opportunity to sample
ClariNet.
--
Doug Eastick -- eastick@me.utoronto.ca

bstempleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Brad Templeton) (02/05/90)

I think the phonetic spellings are actually a great idea, but nobody ever
has the guts to put them in newspapers or magazines.

How else do you learn (other than by listening to radio announcers who
got a report like you see in clari.canada.general) how to pronounce
foreign or unusual names?  I thought it was Jim Backer who married Tammy
Faye for a long time, not Jim Baker.

Newspapers seem to feel it would be demeaning to tell people the
pronunciation of slavic names, for example, but I don't see why.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software, Waterloo, Ont. (519) 884-7473