    From: rdt@houxk.UUCP (R.TRAUBEN)
    Newsgroups: net.arch
    Subject: STOP THIS LASER TALK IN NET.ARCH !!!
    Date: Sun, 15-Apr-84 19:50:56 EST

    I fail to see how discussions on lasers are relevant to
    computer architecture.

    There is a net.laser-lovers groups. I would appreciate it if
    all articles on laser topics could be diverted to that newsgroup.

    I think it is good nettique to use the dedicated forums that already exist
    for specialized topics instead of consistently cluttering up net.arch.

    Please.
    Richard
----------

Well, as unfortunate as the choice of net.arch was, fa.laser-lovers is just
as bad; it is dedicated to the discussion of laser printers.  (There is, of
course, no net.laser-lovers.)  I therefore vote for moving the discussion to
net.origins.

Cheers,
John ("I Hate Lasers") DeTreville
Bell Labs, Murray Hill

rpw3@fortune.UUCP (04/18/84)

#R:houxk:-24500:fortune:16500010:000:249
fortune!rpw3    Apr 17 19:40:00 1984

Actually we should move the laser hazard discussion to "net.med", no?

Rob Warnock

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd70,hpda,harpo,sri-unix,allegra}!fortune!rpw3
DDD:	(415)595-8444
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065

smith@umn-cs.UUCP (Richard Smith) (04/20/84)

#R:houxk:-24500:umn-cs:13900008:000:718
umn-cs!smith    Apr 19 16:03:00 1984

  This is really a scream.

Question 1: Why would someone ask a question about lasers for decorative
		lighting in a newsgroup about computer architecture?
Answer 1: Because the name of the group implies "architecture", not
		specifically computer architecture.
Question 2: Why would someone suggest forwarding the question about
		lasers to a newsgroup about laser graphics printers?
Answer 2: Because the respondent made a similar mistake.

  In other words, the only way (in the absence of 'policy notes') one
can tell the subject of a newsgroup is by looking at what's being
discussed.  Frankly, this was as good a place to discuss lasers as
'laser lovers' though neither is probably the appropriate place.

Rick.

brownell@harvard.UUCP (Dave Brownell) (04/21/84)

To avoid exactly that trouble, I check in the list of active groups
to see what a given group is *supposed* to be talking about.  It's not
that hard to do -- I think your site administrator should make a point
of keeping it easily visible.  It's published (irregularly from what
I can tell) in net.news.groups.

Dave Brownell
{decvax!genrad, allegra!wjh12, ihnp4!harvard} !sequoia!brownell