[net.arch] new Hitachi 32bit microprocessor chip

olson@fortune.UUCP (Dave Olson) (11/29/84)

The following (excerpted) article appeared in the 27 Nov 84
San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News.  Does anyone have any more details?

Excerpt starts:

... Hitachi Ltd... is about a year way from unveiling a 32-bit
microprocessor, called the Micro 32.
... But now that the news is out, Hitachi plans on talking more about
it during its own technology conference Dec. 6 and 7 in New York City.

... sources say the ... chip has 400,000 transistors...
  Most importantly, the Hitachi chip is expected to be upwardly
compatible with Motorola's 68000 chip. ....

End of excerpt.

Specifically, does anyone know if it is/will be upwardly compatible,
and what the new features will be?

	Dave Olson, Fortune Systems
	UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax!amd}!fortune!olson
	ARPA: amd!fortune!olson@BERKELEY

wall@fortune.UUCP (Jim Wall) (12/01/84)

   The info on the new Hitachi chip is somewhat contradictory at
this time. It is both a RISC chip and yet also is code compatible
with the 68000!!!  Two opposite ends of the spectrum.

  It is supposed on have an onboard MMU and cache controller, as
well as an instruction cache. It is also supposed to come
out at 20 MHz and go up to 40 MHz with future silicon. In other
words, it is all on the drawing boards and is a long way off.

						-Jim

gjk@talcott.UUCP (Greg J Kuperberg) (12/02/84)

>    The info on the new Hitachi chip is somewhat contradictory at
> this time. It is both a RISC chip and yet also is code compatible
> with the 68000!!!  Two opposite ends of the spectrum.

The 68000 is not very CISC or RISC.  It is roughly in the middle between
the two.   To those of us that have been using Intel stuff for a few years,
it looks RISC'y, but then again, Intel could be called FCISC (fucking
complicated instruction set).
---
			Greg Kuperberg
		     harvard!talcott!gjk

"Eureka!" -Archimedes

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (12/04/84)

In article <4711@fortune.UUCP> wall@fortune.UUCP (Jim wall) writes:

>   The info on the new Hitachi chip is somewhat contradictory at
>this time. It is both a RISC chip and yet also is code compatible
>with the 68000!!!  Two opposite ends of the spectrum.
>
>  It is supposed on have an onboard MMU and cache controller, as
>well as an instruction cache. It is also supposed to come
>out at 20 MHz and go up to 40 MHz with future silicon. In other
>words, it is all on the drawing boards and is a long way off.
>
>						-Jim

*THIS ISNOT OFFICIAL MOTOROLA POLICY BUT MY OWN OPINION*
In my opinion Hitachi is trying to *scare* Motorola into letting them
second source the MC68020.  They very well may have the plans they
talk about on the drawing board, but don't hold your breath waiting
for first silicon.  I think the idea is *give us the 20 or we will
just do something better.*

I am not worried.

Motorola Semiconductor              Dave Trissel
Austin, Texas                       32-bit Applications Engineer