[net.arch] OS info request

labuda@endot.UUCP (Dave Labuda) (01/06/85)

Subject: OS info request
Newsgroups: net.architecture

I am preparing a paper on the wonders of the UNIX operating system, and
one of (in my opinion) its strongest points is its very small, clean
system call interface. I would like to contrast this to some huge and
ugly interfaces, but I am not familiar with other OS's. I would therefore
appreciate it if anyone out there who knows VMS or some other large scale
OS could let me know how many system calls the OS supports, and about how
large the source code for the OS is (give or take a few thousand lines).
Please mail me personally so as not to clutter the net, and if I get enough
queries I will post any results. Thank you.

					David Labuda
					Endot Inc

					decvax!cwruecmp!labuda

tli@uscvax.UUCP (Tony Li) (01/11/85)

> Subject: OS info request
> Newsgroups: net.architecture
>
> I am preparing a paper on the wonders of the UNIX operating system, and
> one of (in my opinion) its strongest points is its very small, clean
> system call interface. I would like to contrast this to some huge and
> ugly interfaces, but I am not familiar with other OS's. I would therefore
> appreciate it if anyone out there who knows VMS or some other large scale
> OS could let me know how many system calls the OS supports, and about how
> large the source code for the OS is (give or take a few thousand lines).
> Please mail me personally so as not to clutter the net, and if I get enough
> queries I will post any results. Thank you.
>
> 					David Labuda

Hi Dave,

I don't consider this a fair contest.  How many system calls is just not
a good metric of a OS's worth.  Let me give you some guesstimates:

	OS		# of system calls
    ------------	-----------------
       CP/M 2.2		    40
       Unix 		    100
       Tops-20		    100
       CCP/M		    150
       VMS		    250

My point is this:  OS's have different capabilities.  And capabilities take
system calls to implement.  Would you argue that CP/M 2.2 is better than
Unix because it has fewer system calls than Unix?  I hope not.  (PS.  If so,
have I got an OS for you.  It's the best OS of all.  You can't call it! ;-)

Does the number of system calls indicate anything?  I'd say that Tops-20 is
definitely a more capable and complex system than VMS, and I think that even
you would have to agree that VMS provides more facilities than Unix.  So
the number of system calls doesn't seem to indicate much of anything.

If you're going to expound the virtues of Unix, concentrate on: ease of
modification, large number of available tools, excellent software development
environment, and portability.

Stay away from: Efficiency, security, and user-friendliness.

Cheers,
Tony ;-)
--
Tony Li ;-)		Usc Computer Science
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,randvax}!uscvax!tli

ka@hou3c.UUCP (Kenneth Almquist) (01/15/85)

To correct a few figures posted to the net:  System V has about
60 system calls, 9 of which are optional IPC calls.  VMS has about
84 system services, which does not include services provided by
things like the record management system.  I don't  have a count of
system calls for TOPS-20, but I'm sure that it is more than 100.
The number of system calls is not the entire story; TOPS-20 provides
an overwhelming number of options on some of its system calls.
				Kenneth Almquist

kvc@scgvaxd.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (01/22/85)

In article <1399@uscvax.UUCP> tli@uscvax.UUCP (Tony Li) writes:

>> 					David Labuda
>
>Hi Dave,
>
>I don't consider this a fair contest.  How many system calls is just not
>a good metric of a OS's worth.  Let me give you some guesstimates:
>
>	OS		# of system calls
>    ------------	-----------------
>       CP/M 2.2		    40
>       Unix 		    100
>       Tops-20		    100
>       CCP/M		    150
>       VMS		    250

While I agree completely with Tony's (hi Tony, how are things going?) premise
that this isn't such a good thing to base an O/S comparison on (but it's
an interesting thing to look at, nonetheless), I'd like to point out that
he overestimated the number of system services in VMS.

VMS V3 has 89 system services and 31 RMS services (filesystem interface) for
a total of 120.  VMS V4 has 119 system services and the same 31 RMS services,
for a total of 150.

	/Kevin Carosso          scgvaxd!engvax!kvc
	 Hughes Aircrft Co.

jlg@lanl.ARPA (01/23/85)

> VMS V3 has 89 system services and 31 RMS services (filesystem interface) for
> a total of 120.  VMS V4 has 119 system services and the same 31 RMS services,
> for a total of 150.

Now if they could get rid of those 31 RMS 'services', VMS would be on its
way to becoming a usable system.

J. Giles

alan@drivax.UUCP (Alan Fargusson) (01/29/85)

MPE on the HP3000 has no system calls.

System services are implemented in priveleged segments, and are
called in the same way as any user subroutine. A segment is priveleged
(can execute protected instructions) if it is compiled with 'option preveleged'
and the owner of the file that it resides in has preveleged permission.

How would you rate this system?
--

Alan Fargusson.

{ ihnp4, sftig, amdahl, ucscc, ucbvax!unisoft }!drivax!alan

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (01/31/85)

> MPE on the HP3000 has no system calls.
>
> System services are implemented in priveleged segments, and are
> called in the same way as any user subroutine. A segment is priveleged
> (can execute protected instructions) if it is compiled with 'option preveleged'
> and the owner of the file that it resides in has preveleged permission.
>
> How would you rate this system?

By classifying all subroutines residing in privileged segments which are
intended to be called from non-privileged segments as system calls.
MULTICS worked the same way, although most "system calls" were NOT able
to execute privileged instructions; they merely ran in ring 0 (or 1) which
gave them access to more system data structures and access to the very
few routines which could actually execute privileged instructions.

Then again, somebody discussed RMS calls in VMS under the same heading.
In VMS, RMS happens to run in "executive" mode, but under RSX-11 it runs
in user mode as a regular library.  So are RMS calls system calls or not?

I think rating systems by the number of system calls is as useful as
rating processors by the size of their instruction set; i.e., not useful
at all.  Rate them by what you can do using that system, and how efficiently
and conveniently you can do it.

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

tli@uscvax.UUCP (Tony Li) (01/31/85)

> > VMS V3 has 89 system services and 31 RMS services (filesystem
> > interface) for
> > a total of 120.  VMS V4 has 119 system services and the same 31 RMS
> > services,
> > for a total of 150.
>

> Now if they could get rid of those 31 RMS 'services', VMS would be on its
> way to becoming a usable system.
>
> J. Giles

Those 31 RMS services are more useful than any version of a file system than
I've ever heard of on a Unix system.

;-)