[net.arch] OS INFO POST

labuda@endot.UUCP (Dave Labuda) (02/15/85)

This is a posting of information on operating system sizes.
First, I would like to thank everyone for their contributions.
Second, I would like to disclaim any connection to these numbers.
Most of the information was given to me, and I accept it as truth unless
someone claims otherwise. The UNIX info I compiled myself - it includes
all device drivers at our installation. If I missed anyone's info,
I apologize - our net connection was broken for a couple of weeks.
The number of system calls for the OS's was left out due to many flames on
the usefulness of that factor. Also, several people complained that UNIX
does not provide equal functionality as other OS's. This is somewhat true,
but I still think the chart is interesting (one can also argue that the
OS for a PDP-11 SHOULD be smaller than that for an IBM 370).
If anyone has better numbers or other systems they would like to add, feel
free to mail me the information.

Here it is, I think it shows that V7 is the clear winner :

    OS           MACHINE               SOURCE               EXECUTABLE

UNIX V7		  PDP-11	  ~18,000 lines (C)	       ~64K

UNIX 4.1 bsd	  VAXEN		  ~33,000 lines (C)	      ~200K

UNIX 4.2 bsd	  VAXEN		  ~75,000 lines (C)	      ~300K

VMS		  VAXEN		~2,000,000 lines (Ass)		?

DCTS		Honeywell	  ~50,000 lines (PL1)	      ~500K

TOPS-10		  DEC-10	 ~500,000 lines (Ass)	      ~500K

MTS		  IBM 370	 ~800,000 lines (Ass)		?

B6500	       Burroughs 6500	~1,000,000 lines (Ass)		?

OS/1100		Sperry 1100	~1,000,000 lines (Ass)		?

MVS		  IBM 370	>2,000,000 lines (Ass)		?

One last thing, the literary award of the season goes to John Muth at Sun
for comparing MVS to "kicking a dead whale down the beach".

OK - flame away folks, I'm sure no one is happy with the numbers....

						dave labuda
						decvax!cwruecmp!labuda

*There are no opinions here, so no one is represented.

*These numbers may be wrong, but at least they're not a trademark of ATT.

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong [DCS]) (02/17/85)

In article <114@endot.UUCP> labuda@endot.UUCP (Dave Labuda) writes:
>MVS		  IBM 370	>2,000,000 lines (Ass)		?
>
>OK - flame away folks, I'm sure no one is happy with the numbers....
>
>						dave labuda
>						decvax!cwruecmp!labuda

MVS is not written in assembler, it is written in PL/S, a C-like
language which looks like PL/I.  code generation is about as good and
allows direct access to anything that can be accessed from assembler.
the size is dependent upon what you consider to be the operating system
executable.  a estimate for the minimum neccesary to do useful work
would be about 6 or 7 Mbytes.  about 3Mbytes of this is microcode.

VM would be about 600,000 lines for all components and is written in
assembler, occupying about 600K.

Herb Chong, BASc
Computer Consultant

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!water!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
NETNORTH, BITNET, EARN: herbie@watdcs, herbie@watdcsu
POST:  Department of Computing Services
       University of Waterloo
       N2L 3G1  (519)885-1211 x3524

peterb@pbear.UUCP (02/17/85)

	Warning: this is not a flame...

	If you could, compile the number of assembler lines that C produced
when compiling the system, then list it since UNIX is being compared to some
monster systems, all written in assembler. Would be nice...

					Peter Barada
					ima!pbear!peterb

tom@hcrvx1.UUCP (Tom Kelly) (02/18/85)

The Burroughs B6xxx/B7xxx (including the B6500) MCP is NOT written in
assembler.  There isn't even an assembler for the machine.  It is (was)
written in ESPOL, a systems programming extension of ALGOL 60.

Since the current MCP (for B5900/B6900/B7900) is around 500,000 lines,
it is very unlikely (to say the least) that the B6500 MCP was larger.
My guess is that it was on the order of 250K lines, but that really
is a guess.

Tom Kelly  (416) 922-1937
{utzoo, ihnp4, decvax}!hcr!hcrvx1!tom

muth@amdahl.UUCP (John A. Muth) (02/20/85)

<<>>

In <115@endot.UUCP>, dave labuda writes:

> One last thing, the literary award of the season goes to John Muth at Sun
> for comparing MVS to "kicking a dead whale down the beach".

I thank Dave for the compliment, however I must make two minor
corrections.

1) I wish I had originated the comparision of MVS to "kicking a dead
   whale down the beach". This saying had been around for a number
   of years before I heard it.

2) I work for Amdahl, not Sun.
--
				John Muth
				(408) 746-6069

[The opinions expressed are those of the author and not necessarily
those of Amdahl Corporation, its management, or employees.]

robert@gitpyr.UUCP (Robert Viduya) (02/20/85)

Posted from  peterb@pbear.UUCP
> 	If you could, compile the number of assembler lines that C produced
> when compiling the system, then list it since UNIX is being compared to some
> monster systems, all written in assembler. Would be nice...

I believe the point was to compare the number of lines from a human point
of view.  Unix is generally easier to maintain/modify because it there are
less source code lines (not to mention it's in a "high" level language).

				robert
--
Robert Viduya
Georgia Institute of Technology

...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,masscomp,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!robert
...!{rlgvax,sb1,uf-cgrl,unmvax,ut-sally}!gatech!gitpyr!robert

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (02/26/85)

> > One last thing, the literary award of the season goes to John Muth at
> > [Amdahl] for comparing MVS to "kicking a dead whale down the beach".
>
> I thank Dave for the compliment, however I must make two minor
> corrections.
>
> 1) I wish I had originated the comparision of MVS to "kicking a dead
>    whale down the beach". This saying had been around for a number
>    of years before I heard it.
> --
> 				John Muth

The original, by Steve Johnson (I believe), was "TSO is like kicking
a dead whale down the beach".

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146