[net.arch] multi-state logic

sdb@whuxlm.UUCP (Brener Stanley) (02/22/85)

Are there any computers currently working on tri-state logic (as
opposed to binary logic)?  Are there any research projects trying
to develop such machines? Is there a fundamental paper dealing with the
topic from a mathematical perspective?

spector@acf4.UUCP (David HM Spector) (02/23/85)

I seems to remember one of my college profs (Dr. Robt. BK Dewar..) telling us
about a 10 state machine that was developed in Great Brit. a while ago, I think
it was a tube machine....but I don't know...

lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (Lars Warren Ericson) (02/23/85)

[]

There is such a fundamental paper.  It is called "The mathematical
theory of communication" by Claude Shannon.  The conclusion is that
any channel which can transmit, say, 4-state signals at K megahertz
with an acceptably minimum level of noise, can transmit 2-state
signals at 2K megahertz.  Translation: building a computer with
N-state logic, N > 2, doesn't buy you anything, because you can use
the same technology to build a computer with 2-state logic which will
solve problems just as fast.

-- Lars Ericson
-- UUCP: cmcl2!csd1!ericson
-- ARPA: ericson@nyu

abc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Brint Cooper ) (02/25/85)

In article <290002@acf4.UUCP> lwe3207@acf4.UUCP (Lars Warren Ericson) writes:
>[]
>
>  Translation: building a computer with
>N-state logic, N > 2, doesn't buy you anything, because you can use
>the same technology to build a computer with 2-state logic which will
>solve problems just as fast.

I don't believe that Shannon addressed the problem of squeezing more
functions on a given area of silicon, however.

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (02/26/85)

> Are there any computers currently working on tri-state logic (as
> opposed to binary logic)?

A decade or so ago, I read that some Russian computer systems used
trinary.  A few years back I worked with a fellow who claimed to
have (in a previous job) worked on a prototype system with base -2.
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

johnl@ima.UUCP (02/27/85)

I have heard claims that the 8087 uses multi-state logic internally.  The
same sources have claimed that it didn't work as well as Intel had hoped,
which is why you don't see faster 8087 and 80287 chips.

Informed commentary by mail invited.

John Levine, Javelin Software, Cambridge MA 617-494-1400
{ decvax!cca | yale | bbncca | allegra | cbosgd | ihnp4 }!ima!johnl
Levine@YALE.ARPA

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (02/27/85)

Some of the megabit dynamic RAMs being presented at the ISSCC (The IEEE
Solid State Circuits Conference) use multi-level logic to reduce the number
of cells.  (This is according to the ISSCC preview in a recent Electronics
Week magazine.  The magazine is published by McGraw Hill and is available in
many libraries.)