[net.arch] Multi-valued logic

vomlehn@ut-ngp.UUCP (vomlehn) (02/27/85)

I don't know about the 8087 using multi-valued logic internally, but I do
know that there are some memory chips do.  Dynamic memory cells are implemented
as capacitors (basically) which don't care too much whether they hold one
of two voltage values or one of four (which means you can store two bits in
one cell).  By spacing the four voltages sufficiently far apart you can get
the same noise immunity without doubling the size of the cell.  The circuitry
needed to distinguish the four voltage levels apart and to generate them
is roughly twice as complex, but only needs to appear once in each column of
memory cells.  Since there may be a few hundred cells in a column, this is
a very small overhead to pay.

One application of multi-valued logic which I have never heard of is voltage-
multiplexing pins.  One of the major problems facing chip manufacturers is
having to use an ever-increasing number of pins on their chips.  There are
chips now having 160+ pins.  This increases the difficulty of producing the
chip by a fair margin.  Some chip makers time-multiplexed pins, so that the
same set of pins may have address information during one time interval and
data information during the next.  If the pins were voltage-multiplexed
a given pin would only contain data, but it would contain the data for two
logical data lines.  For example, take a given data pin, with two logical
data lines:

	Logical line 1	Logical line 2	Value on pin
	--------------	--------------	-------------
	false		false		0 volts
	false		true		1 volt
	true		false		2 volts
	true		true		3 volts

With this scheme the number of data and address pins could easily be halved.
The time overhead for time-multiplexing is non-trivial, since you have to
switch the lines twice to perform a given task, resulting in twice the settling
delays and the need to decode which information is to be processed.  By
voltage-multiplexing there may be a small overhead due to feeding two logical
lines into an interface circuit to result in one of four voltage values on a
pin and more overhead to break four voltage values into two logical lines, but
this overhead would be much smaller than that for time-multiplexing.  With
some clever design, the multiplexing might be done with no time cost if the
circuit can do some processing with multi-valued logic.

The key disadvantage to this scheme is that it introduces a need for a new
type of "glue" chip - one which can take voltage-multiplexed values and break
them into their constituent logical values and another which reverses the
process, but these chips would be pretty trivial.  I'd guess that they would
be no more complex than the average 7400-series chip and have a comparable
cost.  If a chip maker comes out with a line of components which all use the
same voltage-multiplexing technique, no glue chips would be needed when inter-
connecting these chips and the corresponding reduction in pins and traces on
the printed circuit board would pay off pretty quickly.

David M. VomLehn
vomlehn@ut-ngp.ARPA
...decvax!ihnp4!ut-ngp!vomlehn

crandell@ut-sally.UUCP (Jim Crandell) (03/01/85)

> I don't know about the 8087 using multi-valued logic internally, but I do
> know that there are some memory chips do....
>
> One application of multi-valued logic which I have never heard of is voltage-
> multiplexing pins.

Interesting juxtaposition.  Have a look at the MM5270 (18-pin, 4K dynamic
RAM).  Three levels on one pin, I readily admit, doesn't look very impressive,
but it enabled them to get a nonmultiplexed 4-K into 18 pins.

You gotta start somewhere.
--

    Jim Crandell, C. S. Dept., The University of Texas at Austin
               {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!crandell

yamauchi@fortune.UUCP (Alan Yamauchi) (03/01/85)

In article <1384@ut-ngp.UUCP> vomlehn@ut-ngp.UUCP (vomlehn) writes:

>One application of multi-valued logic which I have never heard of is voltage-
>multiplexing pins. . . . Some chip makers time-multiplexed pins, so that the
>same set of pins may have address information during one time interval and
>data information during the next.  If the pins were voltage-multiplexed
>a given pin would only contain data, but it would contain the data for two
>logical data lines.

Voltage multiplexed pins are already being implemented at some of the semi-
conductor houses now, although not quite in the manner you suggested.  This is
done strictly for in house test purposes and mostly with the more complex
parts such as uComputers and uProcessors.  Applying voltages > 7V to certain
pins on these parts allows the testers to dump either internal masked ROM
or uCode.  I'm not sure of exact voltage levels necessary to change the
functionality of pins, but some other semi houses use an alternate method
of dumping ROM or uCode, such as forcing certain opcodes in special sequences.
Of course most of this in not common knowledge unless you've either worked
in or are working in a semiconductor house.  The technology to do what you
suggest certainly exists, but to do it commercially in the bi-level logic
world now would be quite costly.

                        \   /
      Alan Yamauchi       *
                        \___/
UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!yamauchi
DDD:	(415)594-2436
USPS:	Fortune Systems Corp, 101 Twin Dolphin Drive, Redwood City, CA 94065