[net.arch] How to fab One-Of-A-Kind

johng @orstcs.UUCP (johng ) (06/02/85)

[Like a version.  Released for the very first time...]

Subject: Re: Re: Re: How to fab One-Of-A-Kind systems?

>> Things to beware of, however:
>>
>> 	At high speed, wire wrap temds to crap out.
>> 	(i.e. > 8 Mhz or so).  Then again, so do sockets.
>
>Not necessarily true. At NCR we used twisted pair wire wrap in a large,
>multiboard, 38-nanosecond processor.

At what speed is twisted pair necessary?  How is it done.  I am planning on
building a graphics controller (video freq 80-125 MHz).  There will be a few
clocked lines going at about 100 MHz going to the shift registers.  What do
I really have to worry about in my design (besides lots of despiking caps and
short wires)?  I want to wire wrap this unless wire wrapping can't handle the
speed.  If it can't, what can and still be in a <5K budget.

				John Gregor
				...tektronix!orstcs!johng

				will be for the summer

				...tektronix!ogcvax!gregorj

Disclaimer:  This made sense when I wrote it.