[net.arch] B1700

bwm@ccice2.UUCP (Bradford W. Miller) (10/15/84)

Having used this machine I would like to note that despite any wonderful
architectural innovations, it basically SUCKED. It was the slowest machine
I have ever used, the most limited in disk and memory, and its tools were
the worst I had ever seen, except on a CP/M system.

Brad Miller

--
...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm

johnl@godot.UUCP (10/18/84)

I used a B1700 for a while, too.  It gave me the distinct impression of
having been designed by 3 geniuses, who gave us arbitrary bit addressing,
swappable microcode, and such, but then implemented by 10,000 idiots who
built an unpleasant card-oriented batch operating system on top of it.
(And yes, I used the CANDE terminal monitor, which confirmed my opinion
about the card-oriented batch system -- it was often faster to get up,
go over to the keypunch, punch some cards, and feed them in than to wait
for terminal response.  And there was just 1 terminal.  Sigh.)

John Levine, ima!johnl

PS:  Talk about tesselation buffers, which are not cheap, tends to confirm
the hypothesis that for general computing allowing arbitrary byte alignment
isn't worth it.

phil@unisoft.UUCP (Phil Ronzone) (10/19/84)

>> Having used this machine I would like to note that despite any wonderful
>> architectural innovations, it basically SUCKED. It was the slowest machine
>> I have ever used, the most limited in disk and memory, and its tools were
>> the worst I had ever seen, except on a CP/M system.
>>
>> Brad Miller

Yeah - but is sure is elegant!

mwm@ea.UUCP (10/21/84)

/***** ea:net.arch / ccice2!bwm /  5:02 pm  Oct 18, 1984 */
Having used this machine I would like to note that despite any wonderful
architectural innovations, it basically SUCKED. It was the slowest machine
I have ever used, the most limited in disk and memory, and its tools were
the worst I had ever seen, except on a CP/M system.

Brad Miller

--
...[rochester, cbrma, rlgvax, ritcv]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm
/* ---------- */

If CP/M is the worst system you have ever seen, then you are very, very
lucky. My poor CP/M for several years (1978-1982) had better tools than
I could get at the local university, under either Unix, VMS or MVS. This
is no longer true of the Unix & VMS systems, but is still true of the
MVS (now VM) system. Oh, yeah - it's still faster than VM or the 2.9 BSD
system most of the day.

	<mike

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (10/23/84)

You say MVS was slower than CP/M, which I agree with, but not having the
tools may be inaccurate.  Having been a systems programmer in an MVS
environment, I know that approximately half the really useful tools are
kept hidden, on principle from the general user.  They tend to do too much
that could violate the security and/or require too detailed knowledge
of things.  MVS is not a fair comparison anyways.  How can you compare
~20 Mb of code to 8-10kb?  Not being aware of the tools and not having them
are two different things.  As for the VM environment, which I work in about
as often as Unix lately, the same goes (except only ~2Mb of code).  Speed
is not a good thing to compare anyway.  The systems you mentioned were
designed for completely different tasks and really is like comparing
apples and oranges.  As for user-accessible tools, I think Unix is the
best I have used, but the documentation for our 4.2bsd makes me wish
that they would have written some.

Herb...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watdcsu!herbie
CSNET: herbie%watdcsu@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  herbie%watdcsu%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
BITNET: herbie at watdcs,herbie at watdcsu

mwm@ea.UUCP (10/29/84)

/***** ea:net.arch / watdcsu!herbie /  2:38 am  Oct 25, 1984 */
You say MVS was slower than CP/M, which I agree with, but not having the
tools may be inaccurate.  Having been a systems programmer in an MVS
environment, I know that approximately half the really useful tools are
kept hidden, on principle from the general user.
/* ---------- */

The tools I was talking about: Visual editors with split-screen & multiple
buffers (the universities 4.2 system has one - I put it there so I wouldn't
have to put up with (ugh) vi); a reasonable selection of programming
languages - LISP, C, FORTRAN, COBOL, ALGOL, Pascal; a symbolic debugger
that worked at the language level, not the assembler level; text formatters
that knew something about the structure of a document (think Scribe & TEX);
graphics hardware other than bogosity on the line printer; typesetting
software to use said hardware; communications software; probably others
that I've forgotten. Something tells me that these aren't the tools that
are being hidden from me by the MVS wizards.

	<mike

herbie@watdcsu.UUCP (Herb Chong, Computing Services) (10/31/84)

All the tools that you described were available to the general user
on the MVS systems I have worked on.  Maybe you had management that
didn't feel that they were "cost effective".  If so, maybe they ought
to have their heads examined.  Not having things like a nice text editor
(even ISPF isn't that bad), text processing (DCF), and a whole lot of
programming languages is very narrow minded on the part of the system
management.  I was refering to more obscure (but very useful) tools like
source control (like make, but far more comprehensive, and more expensive)
and multiple processes, symbolic debuggers, and command processors.

pdbain@wateng.UUCP (Peter Bain) (06/20/85)

In article <5694@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:

>Actually, my impression was that most everyone had been discouraged by
>the B1700's flaws.  The concept was fine, but performance was not

Myers (see below), quotes a performance comparison of the B1700, a general-
purpose (sort of) machine against the IBM System 3 Model 10,
a contemporary machine designed to run RPG II exclusively.
While the B1700 cost 75% more, as the Sys 3, it ran compute-bound
RPG programs EIGHT TIMES AS FAST. The Sys 3's average instruction time
was 6 microseconds, as opposed to 35 for the B1700, but, as you might expect,
the B1700 had to execute significantly fewer instructions.

The citation is:
G.L. Myers,Advances in Computer Architecture, 2nd Ed.,  1982,
John Wiley and Sons, P. 214

--
   - peter bain
...!{allegra|decvax|clyde|ihnp4 }!watmath!wateng!pdbain

> Myers (see below), quotes a performance comparison of the B1700, a general-
> purpose (sort of) machine against the IBM System 3 Model 10,
> a contemporary machine designed to run RPG II exclusively.
> While the B1700 cost 75% more, as the Sys 3, it ran compute-bound
> RPG programs EIGHT TIMES AS FAST. ...

I have been told (I have not confirmed this) that when you used a decent
programming language, and compared against a decent machine (the System 3
series were real turkeys), the B1700 showed a strong tendency to come out
second best.

Speaking from only the vaguest memories, RPG and friends are well-suited
to microcode implementations:  a small set of relatively high-level
primitives.  Snobol would probably be another favorable case.  But when
the language primitives get low-level (C, Pascal, Ada) so that one does
not get as much mileage out of mapping lots of ordinary-machine instructions
into one customized-machine instruction, then things fall down badly.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology