[net.arch] Emulators for old machines

macrakis@harvard.ARPA (Stavros Macrakis) (09/04/85)

There is a tremendous amount of software, most of it not portable,
written for obsolete computers and obsolete operating systems.  It
would be very nice, I would think, if a collection of the historically
interesting software could be made, and even nicer if it could be run.
It is not practical to run the old machines, but it should be very
practical to emulate them.  The tough part is providing enough
emulation for the operating system (if that's where you want to put
your interface) or the I/O hardware.

Is there anyone working on a family of portable emulators for
historically interesting machines?

	-s

darryl@ISM780.UUCP (09/05/85)

[]

I know a fellow that has a 1620 emulator he wrote.  It runs on a
CDC-3300 class machine.

	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp.
	    ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
	    The views expressed above are my opinions only.

marv@ISM780.UUCP (09/05/85)

I have an emulator for an IBM 650 machine.  Unfortunately it runs on an
IBM 709.  But, not to worry.  I also have an emulators for the IBM 704, 709,
7094, and 1401 that run on the Standard IC4000.  Now if you care to write an
emulator for the IC4000 I can send you a description of it.  This will give
the ability to run software for a reasonable number historical machines.

I also have a meta assembler that runs on the Standard ES01 that will assemble
programs for any of the machines mentioned in this note, among others.

	       Marvin Rubinstein -- INTERACTIVE Systems Co.

sambo@ukma.UUCP (Father of micro-ln) (09/06/85)

In article <335@harvard.ARPA> macrakis@harvard.ARPA (Stavros Macrakis) writes:
>Is there anyone working on a family of portable emulators for
>historically interesting machines?

Does the IBM PC qualify as a 'historically' interesting machine? :-)
--
Samuel A. Figueroa, Dept. of CS, Univ. of KY, Lexington, KY  40506-0027
ARPA: ukma!sambo<@ANL-MCS>, or sambo%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa,

	"Micro-ln is great, if only people would start using it."

brooks@lll-crg.UUCP (Eugene D. Brooks III) (09/07/85)

I have an emulator for a VAX, for when it becomes a historically interesting
machine. :-)

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (x0705) (09/11/85)

> I know a fellow that has a 1620 emulator he wrote.  It runs on a
> CDC-3300 class machine.
> 	    --Darryl Richman, INTERACTIVE Systems Corp ...!cca!ima!ism780!darryl
The classic emulator, of course, was David Moon's PDP-8 emulator that ran on
the PDP-10.  The 8 used 12-bit words, so he set up a 4096-entry jump table that
did everything.  Aside from clean design, it ran much faster than the original
hardware.
--
## Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

> I have an emulator for a VAX, for when it becomes a historically interesting
> machine. :-)

Comparing DEC's prices vs. those of its competitors, the VAX's significance
is already mostly historical... :-)
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

rpw3@redwood.UUCP (Rob Warnock) (09/12/85)

Ah, memory lane...

I remember a guy from Georgia Tech who had written an emulator
for a Burroughs B5500 which ran on a DEC PDP-8/e, and which was
"about the same speed as the B5500" when compiling the Algol
compiler (written in Burroughs Algol).

Rob Warnock
Systems Architecture Consultant

UUCP:	{ihnp4,ucbvax!dual}!fortune!redwood!rpw3
DDD:	(415)572-2607
USPS:	510 Trinidad Lane, Foster City, CA  94404

boston@celerity.UUCP (Boston Office) (09/18/85)

In article <831@lll-crg.UUCP> brooks@lll-crg.UUCP (Eugene D. Brooks III) writes:

>I have an emulator for a VAX, for when it becomes a historically interesting
>machine. :-)

You MEAN it has interest OTHER than historical? :-)