[net.arch] Info wanted on In-circuit-emulators

slerner@sesame.UUCP (Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner) (09/03/85)

**This one's for the line eater**

I am in the process of evaluating _currently_available_ ICE
systems for use with 8088/8086/80286 processors, and have not
had much luck finding a good system.

I would appreciate any experiences/information/rumors you have,
particularly in terms of ease of use and transparency of
different ICE systems.

I looked at two systems a while back.  One stole NMI for its
own use, which made it almost unusable for our needs.  The other
system disassembled code into the form of JMP/CALL $+offset, and
also only allowed memory addresses to be specified with a
non-segmented address.  These two 'features' made this system
much less user friendly than I would care for.

I need a true ICE - a hardware debug card (ala Atron) will not
do.

Excuse my cross-posting this - please respond either via mail or
to net.micro, since I do not subscribe to net.arch or
net.research.

Thanks in advance.

--
Opinions expressed are public domain, and do not belong to Lotus
Development Corp.

Simcha-Yitzchak Lerner

              {genrad|ihnp4|ima}!wjh12!talcott!sesame!slerner
                      {cbosgd|harvard}!talcott!sesame!slerner
                                slerner%sesame@harvard.ARPA

cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) (09/06/85)

> **This one's for the line eater**
>
> I am in the process of evaluating _currently_available_ ICE
> systems for use with 8088/8086/80286 processors, and have not
> had much luck finding a good system.
>
> I would appreciate any experiences/information/rumors you have,
> particularly in terms of ease of use and transparency of
> different ICE systems.

If you really want a good ICE unit get an I^2ICE from Intel. It
was after all, designed for the part :-) I have used one on my
job several times and always found that its operation was identical
to that of the "real" chip.

--Chuck
(* Forget the disclaimer, I work for Intel and I happen to know it
   is Intel's opinion that all serious debug work on *86 designs
   should be done with I2ICE [pronounced eye-squared-ice]          *)
--
                                            - - - D I S C L A I M E R - - -
{ihnp4,fortune}!dual\                     All opinions expressed herein are my

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (09/07/85)

In article <59@intelca.UUCP> cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>If you really want a good ICE unit get an I^2ICE from Intel.

Yes, get an I^2ICE from Intel if you want to spend many bucks ($40,000?
For a floppy based system, I think.) and learn a new text editor (what
was the name of that brain damaged thing, credit or something) and a
whole new operating system (isis, more powerful than a speeding CP/M,
or is it the other way around?) Until recently, you had the delightful
choice of ASM86, PL/M86, or Pascal. There may be a C now. Maybe.

Even so, we thought we wanted one. Then the salesman told us "You're
the last customer we'd ship one to. You compete with us."
Nice way to do business. I don't think his attitude was condoned by
Intel management, but if you are in a business that competes remotely
with Intel it might be prudent to consider how vulnerable you want to be.

Rumor has it that Intel is coming to their senses and porting their ICE
to an IBM-PC host instead of forcing their own weirdness on the world.
If I^2ICE is for you, it may be worth waiting for the IBM-PC version.

My impression of the whole business is that yes it was very powerful
but most of the time overkill for what people really use and need.
Depends on what you're doing, of course.

I am told by another ICE maker that Intel has this trick of
hiding the information you need to make a good ICE for the 80286
except on special "bond out" versions which they don't sell except
as part of their ICE. This "bond out" version of the 80286 has extra
pads to bring out chip state information necessary to run an ICE.
This seems like a dubious technique but Intel seems to be getting
away with it.

Just my opinion. I speak only for myself. I broke into this machine
before AMD implemented their security system and they don't know I
wrote this. :-)
--
 The overseas Chinese are the Jews of Asia.

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

brad@gcc-bill.ARPA (Brad Parker) (09/08/85)

In article <3567@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>the last customer we'd ship one to. You compete with us."
>Nice way to do business.
I've heard at lot about Intel's "attitude problem" - even as far as
"having to interview" to buy parts from them. See what working with
IBM does to you ;-)

>hiding the information you need to make a good ICE for the 80286
>except on special "bond out" versions which they don't sell except
>as part of their ICE. This "bond out" version of the 80286 has extra
>pads to bring out chip state information necessary to run an ICE.
This is true, but you must understand that it can also be looked at
as their privaledge to bring out more state for their ICE. It's a neat
trick - I've also heard it described as a hack that they had to do
because they didn't think before they fab'd. (yuk yuk)

We have one of these. To my knowledge, everything Phil says is correct.
Besides, he has a great attitude.

>Just my opinion. I speak only for myself. I broke into this machine
>before AMD implemented their security system and they don't know I
>wrote this. :-)
Good line! I about fell off my chair. Gosh, you must be one of
them there hackers I read about in Time magazine! ;-)

wow. I can't believe I did all that editing with a hangover.
--

J Bradford Parker
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-bill!brad

"She said you know how to spell AUDACIOUSLY? I could tell I was in love...
You want to go to heaven? or would you rather not be saved?" - Lloyd Coal

woof@psivax.UUCP (Hal Schloss) (09/08/85)

In article <3567@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <59@intelca.UUCP> cem@intelca.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>>If you really want a good ICE unit get an I^2ICE from Intel.
>
>Yes, get an I^2ICE from Intel if you want to spend many bucks ($40,000?
>For a floppy based system, I think.) and learn a new text editor (what
>was the name of that brain damaged thing, credit or something) and a
>whole new operating system (isis, more powerful than a speeding CP/M,
>or is it the other way around?) Until recently, you had the delightful
>choice of ASM86, PL/M86, or Pascal. There may be a C now. Maybe.

I have had some experience with I^2ICE and believe I can speak with just a
little bit of unbiased authority :-) We did some research on the various
ICE's available for the 8086-80186-80286 family and it became obvious that the
best ICEs one can get are Intel's products. They do have knowledge and special
parts available to them, that give Intel a tremendous head start towards a good
product. On the other hand they tend to be expensive and don't fit really well
into our development environment that centers around our VAX 11/750 running
UNIX. If you want they will sell you a lot of equipment to talk to a VMS
machine. (feh!)

I do program in C and can use the results on the I^2ICE though. I use the
C cross compiler package for OASYS in Cambridge, Mass. It would seem that as
long as you can get an Intel compatible object file, you can use it on an
I^2ICE. In addition you can get (real soon now:-)) I^2ICE for an IBM PC, and
something called TRACE86 which looks like a cheaper I^2ICE. If I was buying
an I^2ICE again I might consider those two options very strongly. My biggest
objection to I^2ICE is the incredible amount of time it seems to take to
load code.

In conclusion while Intel ICE products are expensive and not incredibly
convient to use sometimes, they do the best job of emulating the chip and
giving one access to the internal workings of it.
--
		Hal Schloss
		(from the Software Lounge at) Pacesetter Systems Inc.

dougp@ISM780.UUCP (09/09/85)

We just acquired an I**2ICE here at Interactive which is XT-hosted.  It
works.  That's just about all you can say about it.  The human interface
is TERRIBLE, as seems usual with Intel products.  There is a kinda prompt
line at the bottom of the screen which gives you choices of things to
type next in the middle of a command, but I still have all my standard
gripes about Intel command parsers (you've got to fully spell keywords
like FOREVER, and at times where only one keyword is allowed you still
have to type the fool thing, etc.).  I don't know if this is a released
Intel product or not (we got ours directly from Intel development 'cuz
we're doing some 80286 work for them), but they should be out soon.  I've
heard that the rumored price for the XT/AT interface board is roughly
$4K.  Yup, you heard me, and this is for a 1/2 sized board!  You still
need the I**2ICE box and a personality module for the processor you want
to debug.  These total another $20K.  I don't think it works very well on
a PC without a hard disk, as all the software and overlays have to be on
the same disk and it won't fit on a (360K) floppy.

Another alternative is the HP 64000 system with an 80286 emulator.  This
whole beast (integrated work station w/floppies and the emulator package)
costs about $20K and I've heard it's real nice.  It is run with programmable
function keys whose definitions change depending on where you are in a
command.  A menu above the keys tells you what's going on.  From all I
can find out about it, I wish we had one...

Cheers,

Doug Pintar at Interactive Systems, Inc.     (ihnp4!ucla-cs!ism780!dougp)

(My employers may agree with what I say, but NEVER publicly...)

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (09/10/85)

> I've heard at lot about Intel's "attitude problem" - even as far as
> "having to interview" to buy parts from them. See what working with
> IBM does to you ;-)

If we're going to talk about this subject (I don't know that it has much
to do with computer architectures, but where else to talk about it?) there's
something else significant about the difference between Intel and Motorola:
their method of supplying documentation.

Intel has a free service you can subscribe to, by which you get a glossy
magazine each month with marketing things in it.  Motorola has a paid
service (fairly expensive, but worth it) by which you pay a fee and get
sent copies of their literature for a year on a subscription basis, as it
comes out.  I'll take that over the Intel approach anytime.

Also, a problem I found when I was in the University environment was that
Intel after awhile developed a special program for college faculty &
researchers, separate from the one for engineers; instead of the glossy
magazine you got items that were supposed to relate to "education".  The
problem was that at the time I was very actively involved in research on an
engineering problem, and didn't WANT a lot of stuff about education; I
wanted to know what parts Intel made that could be used in this
multiprocessor we were building.  I always thought that educational material
was kind of insulting, as if people in universities weren't "real" engineers
and didn't need real data.

I like Motorola's approach: charge a reasonable fee but give you just the
FACTS, and let you make the decisions yourself.  [They never did answer a
few of the crazy questions I asked them about unconventional RAM access, but
in general they were very helpful.  (Now that I think about it, we used an
Intel part for that special RAM... oh well... don't let the details get in
the way of the generalizations... :-) )]
--
Shyy-Anzr:  J. Eric Roskos
UUCP: Ofc:  ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!jer

	"Nalgvzr gbzbeebj, gur cubar'yy evat, naq lbh'yy or ba lbhe jnl.
	 Onpx ubzr va Buvb, gurl jba'g oryvrir lbh..."

david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter) (10/01/85)

My company, Daisy Systems, is now selling our "Personal Logician AT"
bundled with an Intel I2ICE.  The package combines our CAE software
for hardware design with Intel's ICE expertise for hardware debug.
I don't know about prices or that stuff: I'm >just< a programmer.

For more info, the address is Daisy Systems, 700 Middlefield Road,
Mountain View, CA,  94039-7006.  The telephone number is (415) 960-
0123.

"I2ICE" and "ICE" are probably trademarks of Intel Corporation.
"Personal Logician" and "Personal Logician AT" are probably
trademarks of Daisy Systems Corporation.  Everything remaining
is probably trademarked by somebody.  [Why can't the English
learn how to speak?]