[net.arch] Anyone for net.compiler?

johnsson@chalmers.UUCP (Thomas Johnsson) (10/23/85)

> 	I've been ramblin, but I would like to see if there is interest in a
> newsgroup for compiler subjects(probably called net.compiler) that would
> cover the more "black magic" topics of register allocation, LR parser error
> recovery, Stack machine to non-stack machine mapping, etc...

> Peter Barada
> {ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb

Yes! Another vote for net.compiler! A lot of the discussions in both
net.arch and net.lang are really about compiler technology.

Thomas Johnsson
johnsson@chalmers.UUCP

--
**** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH BUG DROPPINGS ****
Thomas Johnsson

crs@lanl.ARPA (10/24/85)

> > 	I've been ramblin, but I would like to see if there is interest in a
> > newsgroup for compiler subjects(probably called net.compiler) that would
> > cover the more "black magic" topics of register allocation, LR parser error
> > recovery, Stack machine to non-stack machine mapping, etc...
>
> > Peter Barada
> > {ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb
>

> Yes! Another vote for net.compiler! A lot of the discussions in both
> net.arch and net.lang are really about compiler technology.
>
> Thomas Johnsson
> johnsson@chalmers.UUCP

Just a suggestion:

Recently, several news groups, including one that I thought
interesting and useful (net.internat) were removed because proper
procedure wasn't followed to start them.

As I understand it, it is ok to make preliminary enquiries in related
newsgroups but regardless of that, discussion must occur in a
newsgroup intended for that purpose.  I'm not certain, but I think the
the name is net.news.group.  Votes that don't appear there don't
count.
--
All opinions are mine alone...

Charlie Sorsby
...!{cmcl2,ihnp4,...}!lanl!crs
crs@lanl.arpa

fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. &) (10/24/85)

If, as Mr. Johnsson suggests, that lots of the discussion in net.lang
is about compilers, why not continue it in net.lang? It isn't in
the top 10 groups with the most traffic yet...

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

tower@mit-hermes.ARPA (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (10/25/85)

I would suggest naming it net.lang.compiler .

Len
--
Len Tower
GNU Project of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-prep!tower
INTERNET:   tower@MIT-PREP.ARPA
ORGANIZATION: Free Software Foundation, 1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
HOME: 36 Porter Street, Somerville, MA  02143, USA +1 (617) 623-7739

johnsson@chalmers.UUCP (Thomas Johnsson) (10/26/85)

From enea!seismo!lll-crg!ucdavis!ucbvax!ucbholden.Berkeley.EDU!c8p-bd Fri Oct 25 14:30:37 1985
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 85 19:56:59 PDT
From: enea!seismo!lll-crg!ucdavis!ucbvax!ucbholden.Berkeley.EDU!c8p-bd (Adam J. Richter)
To: johnsson
Subject: Re: Anyone for net.compiler?
Newsgroups: net.arch,net.lang

Me too!  I can't get mail to go to the original poster.  Could
you please see that this gets forwarded or counted or whatever...

		Thanks much,
			Adam J. Richter

c8p-bd@ucbholden
c50p-cl@ucbzooey
c50-1ak@ucbfranny

--
Thomas Johnsson
UUCP:  johnsson@chalmers.uucp,  CSNET: johnsson@chalmers.csnet

debray@sbcs.UUCP (Saumya Debray) (10/28/85)

Count this as another "yes" vote for net.compiler.

< Also, I don't see why this should go to net.arch, so I'm removing net.arch
  from its newsgroups and adding net.news.group >
--
Saumya Debray
SUNY at Stony Brook

	uucp: {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax} !sbcs!debray
	arpa: debray%suny-sb.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	CSNet: debray@sbcs.csnet

mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (10/28/85)

> > 	I've been ramblin, but I would like to see if there is interest in a
> > newsgroup for compiler subjects(probably called net.compiler) that would
> > cover the more "black magic" topics of register allocation, LR parser error
> > recovery, Stack machine to non-stack machine mapping, etc...
> > Peter Barada
> Yes! Another vote for net.compiler! A lot of the discussions in both
> net.arch and net.lang are really about compiler technology.
> Thomas Johnsson

Yes, here is another vote.
			Mark Rindsberg
			..!hou2h!mr

arh@usl.UUCP (Al the swamp-sailor) (10/31/85)

In article <344@chalmers.UUCP> johnsson@chalmers.UUCP (Thomas Johnsson) writes:
>> 	I've been ramblin, but I would like to see if there is interest in a
>> newsgroup for compiler subjects(probably called net.compiler) that would
>> cover the more "black magic" topics of register allocation, LR parser error
>> recovery, Stack machine to non-stack machine mapping, etc...
>
>> Peter Barada
>> {ihnp4!inmet|{harvard|cca}!ima}!pbear!peterb
>

>Yes! Another vote for net.compiler! A lot of the discussions in both
>net.arch and net.lang are really about compiler technology.

	I tend to disagree, folks.  A lot of the discussions have been
relevent insofar as they discuss items that are addressed in so-called
'language directed architectures'.  Perhaps a better idea would be a
net.arch subgroup....  say net.arch.langdir ?

						Al Hooton

					.... usl!arh
					arh@usl.UUCP

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (10/31/85)

NO!
Make it net.lang.compiler if you want one please!

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb

heuring@boulder.UUCP (Vincent Heuring) (11/01/85)

Count a yes vote for me too.

peterb@pbear.UUCP (11/02/85)

	Ok, Now that there's enough demand for a group to discuss compilers,
I am going to start a mailing list on it. Some people may want to have a
newsgroup, but I don;t want to wait for the "super-powers" to slug it out
over the excess of newsgroups. So send all requests to:

Request to join:      {ihnp4!inmet|spastic|{harvard|yale|cca}!ima}!peterb
Submissions:          {ihnp4!inmet|spastic|{harvard|yale|cca}!ima}!compilers

johnw@astroatc.UUCP (11/04/85)

In article <1115@hou2h.UUCP> mr@hou2h.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) writes:
>>> I would like to see if there is interest in a newsgroup
>>> for compiler subjects(probably called net.compiler) that would
>>> Peter Barada
>>
>> Yes! Another vote for net.compiler! A lot of the discussions in both
>> net.arch and net.lang are really about compiler technology.
>> Thomas Johnsson
>
>Yes, here is another vote.
>			Mark Rindsberg >			..!hou2h!mr

I also vote yes.   I saw 3 votes against and at least a dozen votes for!!

NOTE:  votes must be seem by the net.admisistrators who read crud
		like net.news.group

		If I read them right, discussion/votes below there, where they
		can read it, and complain about it clogging the net with
		traffic.  :-)

--

			John W

Name:	John F. Wardale
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!johnw
arpa:   astroatc!johnw@rsch.wisc.edu
snail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
audio:	608-221-9001 eXt 110

To err is human, to really foul up world news requires the net!

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen [DCS]) (11/04/85)

This is a "YES" for net.lang.compiler