[net.arch] Delays in sending out copies of my multiprocessor bibliography

eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (11/10/85)

Recently, NASA has been cracking down on the distribution of information
by computer tape.  I would like to offer apologies to those people
who mailed me blank tapes to obtain updates of my multiprocessor/
distributed processing bibliography.  I have a dozen such tapes being
processed from institutions like NYU, Amdahl/Fujitsu, DEC, and the like.
I hope you get them in the next couple of weeks (I will send the most
up-to-date copy).

In the past, we just mailed your tape back to you.  Now, I have to get
four signatures and the tape must be inspected by our Technology
Utilization office.  They want to prevent the dissemination of information
overseas to certain governments.  I believe this is in response to comments
made by the Sec. of the DOD, Mr. Weinberger, about NASA being a big
technology leak to other countries.

ARPAnet FTP is still the best way to get a copy, it's too big to
realistically UUCP.

As an aside, when I began my work, I was asked if I desired to make the
distribution unlimited.  I was informed the standard policy of the US
Government was to delay all foreign distribution 1 year.  I feel this is
a ridculuous policy in this area of research.

From the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
--eugene miya
  NASA Ames Research Center
  {hplabs,ihnp4,dual,hao,decwrl,allegra}!ames!aurora!eugene
  emiya@ames-vmsb

jon@nsc.UUCP (Jon Ryshpan) (11/22/85)

In article <1252@ames.UUCP> eugene@ames.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>Recently, NASA has been cracking down on the distribution of information
>by computer tape.  I would like to offer apologies to those people
>who mailed me blank tapes to obtain updates of my multiprocessor/
>distributed processing bibliography. ...
>
>In the past, we just mailed your tape back to you.  Now, I have to get
>four signatures and the tape must be inspected by our Technology
>Utilization office. ...  I believe this is in response to comments
>made by the Sec. of the DOD, Mr. Weinberger, about NASA being a big
>technology leak to other countries. ...

Let me apologize for putting this reply in an inappropriate newsgroup, but
it *is* a followup.  It's in the form of a dialogue:

Q: Which country is making faster advances in science and technology,
   the US or the USSR?
A: The US.
Q: Which country has the larger scientific and engineering
   community?
A: The USSR, by a factor of about two.
Q; So which country makes better use of its engineering resources?
A: The US.
Q: Which country has the stronger censorship, information control,
   need to know, etc?
A: The USSR.
Q: Why are we imitating the USSR by gumming up our works with more
   controls?
A: I don't know.

These views do not necessarily represent those of my employer - or
anyone else for that matter.
--

Jonathan Ryshpan	{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!jon	nsc!jon@decwrl.ARPA

Let justice be done though the heavens fall.