[net.arch] What if IBM Had chosen the 68000? Not what you think

jdb@mordor.UUCP (John Bruner) (11/21/85)

>I didn't really want to get dragged into this, but a comparison of the sizes
>of executables (using size(1), and only adding up .text) of the stuff in
>/bin and /usr/bin on a 68k UNIX (Sun-2) versus a 286 UNIX SYS V shows that the
>286 binaries are only 65% of the size of the 68k binaries.  I think Brad's
>argument *is* valid.

While the 68010 may not achieve the code density of a 286, the difference
you are seeing is greatly exaggerated.  It would be much fairer for you
to compare two System V ports.  Sun's executables are much bigger than
they should be.  (As an experiment, try compiling and linking the program
"main(){}" and see how big the executable is.  Link it "-N" to avoid
page-alignment of data and bss which makes text and data appear larger
than they really are.)
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor [jdb@s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (11/22/85)

Who thinks that the 8088 was chosen for it's architecture?
I would be surprised if that was the main consideration.
The "task force" that designed the machine was concerned with
time to market. At that time, I doubt IBM would have seriously
entertained the possibility of establishing UNIX as a microcomputer
standard and they did not want to cut the profitability of their
minicomputer line with smaller compatible systems. The only thing
to do was to write a new op sys or take a little known existing
system and promote the heck out of it.
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay

zben@umd5.UUCP (11/23/85)

In article <544@talcott.UUCP> lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) writes:

>Who thinks that the 8088 was chosen for it's architecture?
>I would be surprised if that was the main consideration.
>The "task force" that designed the machine was concerned with
>time to market. At that time, I doubt IBM would have seriously
>entertained the possibility of establishing UNIX as a microcomputer
>standard and they did not want to cut the profitability of their
>minicomputer line with smaller compatible systems. The only thing
>to do was to write a new op sys or take a little known existing
>system and promote the heck out of it.

What makes you think technical considerations had *anything* to do with it?
Is our memory so short we forget the big cross-licensing agreement that IBM
and Intel signed ten years ago?  Intel got access to all IBM's magnetic
bubble work (:-) and IBM got access to the 80xx design and masks.  And I
think a hefty piece of Intel too.

The games IBM plays with its suppliers can be played with IBM too.  Much
nicer to have a tame almost-in-house supplier than to have to worry about
Motorola or National Semi changing things out from under you...
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA