[net.arch] Segmented Architectures

grr@unirot.UUCP (George Robbins) (12/15/85)

In article <4338@fritz.UUCP> jim@fritz.UUCP (Jim Gilbert) writes:

>Burroughs "large" mainframes are a segmented architecture
[lots of details and praise]
>I am not aware of a compiler for C on these systems.
>They do support COBOL, FORTRAN, Pascal, Algol, PL/I, and BASIC.

Is there a 'real' C compiler for big Burroughs machines out there?

>There is, unfortunately, no popular desktop implementation of this
>architecture.

The HP3000 series architecture is essentially a 16/32 bit implementiation
of the Burroughs B5500 architecture.  HP's operating systems implementation
language seems to be based on ESPOL.  I know there were some Burroughs type
hackers working for HP, but would really like to hear a little of the story
behind this...

[more praises]
>Technology advances have changed many of the economic tradeoffs around
>which these systems were designed.  I, for one, believe that anyone
>who wishes to speak on the pro's and con's of segmented architectures
>should do their homework on computing history.  Microprocessors were
>not invented at the beginning of time.
>
>				Jim Gilbert FileNet Corporation

Well, I cut my teeth on a B5500, found out about real languages with ALGOL,
and learned about OS's and virtual memory from the MCP, unfortunately, a RISC
architecture with some supporting software can do the same tricks for much
less money.  The microcoded machine concepts used in the B1600-1700 machines
are more interesting.  I think a *fast* chip level implementation might prove
to be a possible general solution to the Pascal/Forth engine problems.
--
George Robbins			uucp:	{unirot|tapa}!grr
P.O. Box 177