[net.arch] IBM 801

wjc@mit-eddie.UUCP (Bill Chiarchiaro) (12/04/85)

Does anyone know what ever happened to the IBM 801 Simplified Instruction
Set minicomputer?

noman@gatech.CSNET (Jeffrey L. Grover) (12/09/85)

In article <632@mit-eddie.UUCP>, wjc@mit-eddie.UUCP (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:
> Does anyone know what ever happened to the IBM 801 Simplified Instruction
> Set minicomputer?

if you dig into the recent announcemnets about the IBM workstation
you'll find something to the effect:

	1. The 801 project was an experiment
	2. The findings of that experiment were implemented
		in the newly announced workstation
	3. The ~801 architecture is being emulated via
		microcode on a 68000 ( <<== ?? )
	4. The workstation is an AT chassis with the above
		engine

--
jeffg ( aka noman )

Dept  :  GTRI/CTAD
Office:  ERB rm 34
Phone :  894-3456

GTRI/CTAD ERB rm 34
	   894-3456

bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) (12/10/85)

In article <2191@gatech.CSNET> noman@gatech.CSNET (Jeffrey L. Grover) writes:
>	3. The ~801 architecture is being emulated via
>		microcode on a 68000 ( <<== ?? )

	Well, IBM has had practice with this sort of thing...The IBM
XT/370 emulated a 370 by re-microcoding 1 (or 2??) 68000's and an 8087
(for floating point).

--Bruce Barrett

noman@gatech.CSNET (Jeffrey L. Grover) (12/10/85)

In article <373@amiga.amiga.UUCP>, bruceb@amiga.UUCP (Bruce Barrett) writes:
> In article <2191@gatech.CSNET> noman@gatech.CSNET (Jeffrey L. Grover) writes:
> >	3. The ~801 architecture is being emulated via
> >		microcode on a 68000 ( <<== ?? )
>
> 	Well, IBM has had practice with this sort of thing...The IBM
> XT/370 emulated a 370 by re-microcoding 1 (or 2??) 68000's and an 8087
> (for floating point).
>
> --Bruce Barrett

	yep, IBM put 2 68000's in the XT/360

		1. microcoded to execute as a 360
			sans floating point operations
		2. microcoded as a floating point
			co-processor

	BTW, there is an 8088 in there too ...

		it's an I/O processor

--
jeffg ( aka noman )

Dept  :  GTRI/CTAD
Office:  ERB rm 34
Phone :  894-3456

GTRI/CTAD ERB rm 34
	   894-3456

stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (Jan Stubbs) (12/11/85)

In article <632@mit-eddie.UUCP> wjc@mit-eddie.UUCP (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:
>Does anyone know what ever happened to the IBM 801 Simplified Instruction
>Set minicomputer?

Rumour has it that it will appear shortly as a high-performance engineering
workstation, probably running Unix.

Jan Stubbs ...sdcsvax!ncr-sd!stubbs

bobbyo@celerity.UUCP (Bob Ollerton) (12/11/85)

Workstation?  What workstation?  Rumors don't equal an announcement.
Maybe IBM will have better luck in April, Well thats what the
LATEST rumors say.

--
Bob Ollerton; Celerity Computing;
9692 Via Excelencia; San Diego, Ca 92126; (619) 271 9940

kim@mips.UUCP (Kim DeVaughn) (12/11/85)

> In article <632@mit-eddie.UUCP> wjc@mit-eddie.UUCP (Bill Chiarchiaro) writes:
> >Does anyone know what ever happened to the IBM 801 Simplified Instruction
> >Set minicomputer?
>
> Rumour has it that it will appear shortly as a high-performance engineering
> workstation, probably running Unix.

When I was at Amdahl, I seem to recall that it (or a close variation) was
being used inside the Channel Director of the 308x and/or 3090-x00 machines.

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   415-960-1200

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (12/18/85)

> When I was at Amdahl, I seem to recall that it (or a close variation) was
> being used inside the Channel Director of the 308x and/or 3090-x00 machines.

Strange, a fellow I knew who used to fix 'em said that they're just
good-ol' 158's.
--
Doug Pardee -- CalComp -- {hardy,savax,seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!terak!doug

mat@amdahl.UUCP (Mike Taylor) (12/23/85)

> > When I was at Amdahl, I seem to recall that it (or a close variation) was
> > being used inside the Channel Director of the 308x and/or 3090-x00 machines.
>
> Strange, a fellow I knew who used to fix 'em said that they're just
> good-ol' 158's.

The 3033 "Channel Directors" appeared to be recycled 158's.  This predated
the TCM packaging that IBM used in the 308X and 3090-x00.  The 308X was TCM
packaged and therefore unlikely to be derived from 158 MST technology.
There is a rumor (as yet unverified) that the 3090-x00 EXDC is an 801.
--
Mike Taylor                        ...!{ihnp4,hplabs,amd,sun}!amdahl!mat

[ This may not reflect my opinion, let alone anyone else's.  ]

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) (01/20/86)

Alright, enough of this shift nonsense...  Let's see, I suppose that I
should try to start something new...  How's this: does anyone know the
why IBM could not release the news of their 801 project until just
recently?  I understand it has something to do with lawsuits and Reagan.

Or, better yet, has anyone yet seen one of the Fairchild CLIPPER machines?
From the marketing cruft I got from Fairchild, it would appear that they
have done just about everything right.

--
Darrell Long
University of California, San Diego

UUCP: sdcsvax!darrell
ARPA: darrell@sdcsvax

> ...does anyone know the
> why IBM could not release the news of their 801 project until just
> recently?...

Huh?  The 801 was not exactly accompanied by a blaze of publicity, but
the first paper describing it was in the ASPLOS	[?] proceedings some
years ago.  There hasn't been any secret about it for a long time.
You haven't seen any IBM marketing hype because it was not a product,
just an internal experiment and then a research tool.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP (01/25/86)

Why did IBM not release news about the 801 until just about now?

Paranoid answer: because the 801 RISC approach was valid when VLSI
was young (just how long has Patterson's RISC group been going on)
but is no longer applicable because of increasing density (perhaps
the argument that microcoded control takes up too much space is
no longer valid if you can cram as much parallel execution hardware
as you can afford, to 1 cycle most simple instructions, plus as
much microcode as you need to sequence complex ones. Microcode
was a lump that lay across the chip boundary - RISC placed this lump
outside because it couldn't all be fitted inside - maybe IBM can now
squeeze it all onto the chip?)

Just paranoid - but replace IBM with Fujitsu or Hitachi or NEC
and start sweating...

Andy "Krazy" Glew