[net.arch] IBM RT PC, 801, RISC horserace, etc.

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (01/29/86)

In article <5100001@ccvaxa>, aglew@ccvaxa.UUCP writes:
> Why did IBM not release news about the 801 until just about now?
> Paranoid answer: because the 801 RISC approach was valid when VLSI
> was young (just how long has Patterson's RISC group been going on)
> but is no longer applicable...

It's not clear whether RISC is a win or not -- we'll only see after
they've been in the marketplace for a few years.  It *is* an
interesting idea; the catch is software.  Can a complicated compiler
generate correct code that is faster than what a very very smart
microcode author could write and put into a non-RISC machine?  Indeed,
the microcode has to do more work (decode instructions, etc) but the
human is smarter than the compiler.  It's a horse race.

>                                                      Microcode
> was a lump that lay across the chip boundary - RISC placed this lump
> outside because it couldn't all be fitted inside - maybe IBM can now
> squeeze it all onto the chip?)

RISC moves that boundary from "between the microcode and the
ALU/sequencer" to "between the main memory and the ALU/sequencer".
This is another factor that tends to make RISC lose, since it's always
possible to build a small wide (microcode) memory faster than you can
build a large main memory.  But there are complications you can add to
the large main memory such that *most* of what you reference ends up in
a small fast memory -- cacheing.  The "win" of less decoding
overhead has to outweigh the "lose" of more main memory activity, (plus
the cost of the more complex main memory) or RISC is not competitive.

The technical info I've seen on the IBM RT PC so far doesn't mention
cacheing (except page map cacheing) and the compiler technology sounds,
from John Levine's message, pretty mundane.  Also, the chips are old
technology (NMOS with 2 power supplies and 2.4 watts of heat generated
per chip -- each one requires a heat sink) compared to today's micros
by commercial micro companies (Intel, Motorola).

This, plus the deadbeat graphics and network hardware for the RT PC,
makes it sound like they haven't shot their wad yet (in the usual IBM
fashion) but are giving us a two year old product and seeing how many
people will spend money on it before giving us this year's product.
Don't ever forget that IBM's in business to make money, not to give you
leading edge products.
--
# I resisted cluttering my mail with signatures for years, but the mail relay
# situation has gotten to where people can't reach me without it.  Dammit!

brooks@lll-crg.ARpA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (01/29/86)

In article <449@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>It's not clear whether RISC is a win or not -- we'll only see after
>they've been in the marketplace for a few years.  It *is* an
>interesting idea; the catch is software.  Can a complicated compiler
>generate correct code that is faster than what a very very smart
>microcode author could write and put into a non-RISC machine?  Indeed,
>the microcode has to do more work (decode instructions, etc) but the
>human is smarter than the compiler.  It's a horse race.

The RISC development to watch is the Clipper chip set from Fairchild.
It is more up to date technology, has on chip floating point and seperate
single chip cache and memory management support.

jer@peora.UUCP (J. Eric Roskos) (01/31/86)

> Indeed, the microcode has to do more work (decode instructions, etc) but
> the human is smarter than the compiler.  It's a horse race.

Actually, in some microprogrammed machines, there are hardware assists for
instruction decoding, so that all the microcode has to do is actually
execute the instruction, not decode it.  In such machines, the hardware
decodes the instruction, sets up the operand addresses, looks up a
starting address in a table based on the opcode, and starts the
microprogram sequencer at the address it found in the table.

However, you then have a tradeoff between speed and generality -- the
machine is faster because it doesn't have to decode the instructions,
but if you want a different instruction format, it's harder to do...

Some of our earlier machines (e.g., the 3220) worked that way; I don't know
anything about the current ones, though.
--
UUCP: Ofc:  jer@peora.UUCP  Home: jer@jerpc.CCUR.UUCP  CCUR DNS: peora, pesnta
  US Mail:  MS 795; CONCURRENT Computer Corp. SDC; (A Perkin-Elmer Company)

mash@mips.UUCP (John Mashey) (01/31/86)

Eugene D. Brooks III (lll-crg!brooks) writes:

> The RISC development to watch is the Clipper chip set from Fairchild.
> It is more up to date technology, has on chip floating point and seperate
> single chip cache and memory management support.

1) One can argue the merits of one chip (set) over another, using many
different criteria.  Whether something is or isn't a RISC, or better,
how RISCy it is, is only one attribute, and I wouldn't suggest that
it is the primary one.

2) Nevertheless, this kind of discussion may confuse the issue, i.e.,
exactly what a RISC is and why gets terribly confused when people
apply the term to radically different architectures.  Fairchild's
own literature [I have a lot of it] claims correctly that it applies
some RISC ideas, not that it is a RISC.

3) A fundamental idea of RISC is to reduce the number of machine cycles
per instruction (or better, per Mips-equivalent).  Here are some numbers,
(please don't niggle over fractions, this is all approximate):
CHIP	CLOCK	Mips	CLOCKS/Mips
68020	16Mhz	2	8
Clipper	33	5	6
ROMP	6	2	3

4) No one believes the 68020 is a RISC.  Most people believe ROMP is
a RISC [although be careful, it is of the "low-cost RISC" style, i.e.,
designed for efficient cacheless operation, rather than all-out
performance.]. If you use the metric
of clocks/mips, you can judge for yourself whether the Clipper is
more like a ROMP or more like a 68020.

5) Why do people care about clocks/Mips? ANS: because the clock speed
ends up being a fundamental limiting factor, especially as you cram
more and more on a few chips.  Be very careful to separate the
effects of circuit technology from architecture: from the circuit side,
faster clock = more impressive.  From the architecture side,
faster clock (for the same delivered performance) = LESS impressive.

6) Growth paths.  I have no idea what IBM is up to.  Nevertheless,
one has to believe that a ROMP-style design has a lot more headroom
for clock rate improvements than do the others listed. Here is a
hypothetical question: if you can have a 5Mips Clipper at 33Mhz in
1986, when can you get one that might at go at, say, 10Mips,
i.e., around 66Mhz?

7) The next month or so should be interesting.  UNIFORUM has one
RISC vs CISC debate.  IEEE COMPCON (San Francisco, March 4-6) has
the following free-for-all:
	a) a RISC vs CISC debate
	b) a full session (I think) on HP Spectrum, or whatever it will
	be called by then.
	c) a full session by Fairchild on Clipper
	and
	d) a full session by MIPS Computer Systems on our stuff
	[finally, out of the closet!]

8) Again, I emphasize again that I'm not proposing that RISC = GOOD,
CISC = bad, but that one must look at every architecture on its
own merits, rather than lumping a raft of rather different architectures
under the same label.
--
-john mashey
UUCP: 	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!mash

> The RISC development to watch is the Clipper chip set from Fairchild.
> It is more up to date technology, has on chip floating point and seperate
> single chip cache and memory management support.

It also has a price tag to make your hair stand on end.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

olsen@ll-xn.ARPA (Jim Olsen) (02/06/86)

>> The RISC development to watch is the Clipper chip set from Fairchild.
>> It is more up to date technology, has on chip floating point and seperate
>> single chip cache and memory management support.
>
> It also has a price tag to make your hair stand on end.

Yes and no.  The Clipper module provides CPU, Floating Point, MMU with
TLB, and two caches.  The price is steep, but you get a lot for it.
--
Jim Olsen   (olsen@ll-xn.arpa)  ...!{decvax,lll-crg,seismo}!ll-xn!olsen